Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » US attacks John Simpson! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: US attacks John Simpson!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the best part is when CNN gets mad at the international media for biased coverage:

quote:

CNN report scorns CBC war coverage
CBS News accepts U.S. army ads

By JOHN McKAY

TORONTO (CP) -- The single, circular drop of cherry-red blood appeared first in the upper left corner of the frame.

Then it began to trickle downwards, as though competing for the viewer's attention with the rest of the screen where, in blurry shots, men could be seen running, jumping and falling. Then the BBC camera operator, apparently with a head cut from shrapnel, tried to wipe away the trickle, but succeeding only in smearing the lens, creating an accidental but gut-wrenching war metaphor as the action became filtered through a haze of human blood.

It was the latest and most deadly "friendly fire" incident of the Iraq war as an errant U.S. missile smashed into a convoy of American and Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq last weekend, killing at least 18, including the BBC crew's Kurd translator.

The dramatic report by correspondent John Simpson was introduced with the usual dispassionate calm by the BBC and later rebroadcast on ABC World News Tonight.

But as one media editor commented, coverage of the incident was almost non-existent on CNN where, it seems, friendly fire events and stats are always greeted with skepticism when they air at all.

Gillian Steward, a visiting professor at the University of Regina school of journalism, says the fact that the U.S. is at war is no excuse for the country's news media adopting a pro-war bias.

"You look at BBC -- their country is also at war -- and it's like you're looking at two different wars. It's so obvious actually when you watch CNN for a long time that they basically see themselves as the voice of the government."

Steward says it's a problem with competing all-news networks that they repeat whatever they're told by the Pentagon without caring whether it's true or not, just to get it on the air first.

The situation is typical of a growing disparity between most of the U.S. networks and their counterparts in Canada and elsewhere in the world. In particular, CNN, CBS and Fox News appear to have jumped gleefully aboard the American war wagon, emphasizing the positive and minimizing the negative.

And apparently they expect others to do likewise.

A report Monday night on CNN was especially scornful of CBC-TV. While clips of Peter Mansbridge were shown, it was noted that CBC accepted at face value Saddam Hussein's latest public appearance on the streets of Baghdad.

"Saddam is alive and well and very much in charge," Washington correspondent David Halton was seen reporting, prompting an irked CNN to question why, unlike on U.S. networks, there was no expression of doubt as to when the footage was shot or whether it really was Saddam or one of his body doubles.

In fact, CBC says, later on in the same newscast its correspondent Neil Macdonald did a "reality check" that did question the validity of the Saddam tape.

CBC spokeswoman Ruth-Ellen Soles says it should be remembered that Canada is not at war.

"And so of course our coverage is going to be different, less emotional, less involved than the American media. And that shouldn't come as any surprise to viewers."

Meanwhile over at CBS, the network has begun adding U.S. army commercials to Dan Rather's Evening News report.

The "Go Army" spots are part morale booster, part recruitment, and even include slow motion images of Gen. George S. Patton. It seems the jolting optics of the military sponsoring a war newscast have eluded executives at CBS.

"For the most part, U.S. media have signed on to the Bush administration's plan," says Tim Blackmore, a professor in media studies at the University of Western Ontario. "If it weren't for the Internet, CBC and National Public Radio, we would be completely at the mercy of networks who see an American narrative of strength, righteousness, patriotism and Christianity in the war."

Blackmore says NBC's sacking of correspondent Peter Arnett is a blatant example of a corporate information machine that sees one of its players as a traitor, and he believes many similar examples will come to light but only long after the war ends when memoirs are written.

CNN, CBS and Fox News seem obsessed with new war technology and old armchair generals while minimalizing such negativity as friendly-fire statistics, to say nothing of blood. One of CNN's retired generals Monday night even dismissed friendly fire as a fact of war and nothing the troops should concern themselves with.

"You hear about one horrendous thing -- like all those women and children getting shot at the checkpoint -- well, that's news one day and then it's gone," notes Steward.

But if CNN is perceived to be offering a skewed perspective of the war, the liberal-minded might lament that the network is losing the ratings race south of the border to an even more right-wing competitor, Fox News, which wears its patriotism proudly on its sleeve and its screen. The network's war correspondents have included such super-conservatives as Geraldo Rivera and Oliver North.

"There is nothing wrong with taking sides here," Fox anchor Neil Cavuto said on the air to one of his critics, a journalism professor. "You see no difference between a government that oppresses people and one that does not, but I do."

According to the Web site of the Poynter Institute, a U.S. journalism school that emphasizes ethics, independence and integrity, Cavuto then proceeded to label the professor an "obnoxious pontificating jerk," a "self-absorbed, condescending imbecile" and an "Ivy League intellectual Lilliputian."

David Folkenflik, a Poynter columnist, says that in its war coverage Fox News is clearly patriotic and pugilistic and it takes things personally.

"As the invasion of Iraq unfolds," he says, "Fox has switched into even higher gear, encouraging a resolutely pro-American, sometimes explicitly pro-war stance."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Supposedly there was a sniper in this building - two miles away! Two miles! This man must be a Sniper God. . .

That's according to the yanks. The journalists (who were actually in the building) heard no firing. This sort of overkill does seen rather typical though; there was a piece in the paper a few days ago about two similar situations involving US and British troops. A group of US troops were told there might be some Iraqi army personnel in a building. They subjected it to an artillery barrage. A group of British APCs were fired on from a building; they deployed troops, who entered the building and arrested the two gunmen.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom: That's fair & balanced coverage for ya.

Anyway in relation to overkill, never forget that they have the biggest guns. That's what you get when you have nutcases like Perlman and Wolfywits [Wink] forming your foreign policy.

(Authors note: All references to 'they', 'them' and other purgorative terminology from this point on are in reference to the Untied Shites & their oh-so-brilliant-virtuous-parody-of-freedom).

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wraithy: don't YOU start. It's hard enough the Yanks not knowing sarcasm when they see it, without Brits failing to spot it either. Of course there was no bloody sniper, unless he was actually a lot closer and (more likely) in the opposite direction.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's hard enough the Yanks not knowing sarcasm when they see it..."

Give us a break. We don't even know a civilian hotel when we see it.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, they don't seem to be having any trouble identifying the journalists' hotel now. [Razz]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Wraithy: don't YOU start. It's hard enough the Yanks not knowing sarcasm when they see it, without Brits failing to spot it either. Of course there was no bloody sniper, unless he was actually a lot closer and (more likely) in the opposite direction.

Um... actually, that's what it said in the paper; well, that there was allegedly firing from the hotel. So, Ok not actually a sniper and the distance was probably smaller, but hey, I was at school. My brain always works slower there.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll have to send old Johnny out to cover the northern front now, see if we can get closer than 10 yards....

Maybe paint a maple leaf on his back for IFF....

Maybe we should help good old Tony over throw his people, since they are all terrorist.... Oh, wait, that's only a couple of factions from an occupied part of another country.....

Maybe the thread should read US media attacks this clown.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Styrofoaman:
Ok, so there is a sniper in a hotel full of reporters... Solution: Fire into said hotel full of civilians WITH A FUCKING TANK?!

Hmmmm... This could be the start of somthing intresting:

PROBLEM: Robbers hold up 7-11 on corner...
SOLUTION: Fire into 7-11 with a tank.

PROBLEM: Snot-nosed punk beans me with slushball in parking lot.
SOLUTION: Airstrike dropping cluster bombs all over neighborhood.

I hope that whoever ordered the tank to fire into the hotel and the commander & crew of that tank are tried and convicted.

Reporters, Lawyers, Snipers, It's all good.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: firing on a sniper with a tank.

Nobody ever said war was FAIR.

If you're on the ground and a sniper is firing at you from behind a concrete barricade on top of a building, returning equal riflr fire isn't going to do the job. Remember the sniper scene in "Full Metal Jacket?" It really is like that.

Dang, I can't find that old post concerning "war fair" and enforced military equity. It was funny...

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, you boys and girls fight fair, no tank rounds fired in response to sniper fire.

I don't care if you are trying to protect the lowly infantryman caught in the open, you'll just have to watch your friend die.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a choice between a military officer being killed in battle, and a bunch of civilians getting blown up so those soldiers can save their own asses, then, yes, it's the soldier who should be dying.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how many soldiers would you consider an acceptable trade per civilian, Tim? All of them? It's hardly as simple as you suggest.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

No one's saying you should trade soldiers for civilians; it is possible to do a job with a minimum of force rather than overkill. It's called precision warfare, remember? Our army seems able to do it ok.

quote:
Maybe we should help good old Tony over throw his people, since they are all terrorist.... Oh, wait, that's only a couple of factions from an occupied part of another country.....
Hopefully both the IRA and Unionist paramilitaries will soon be disarming, we do have an agreement, y'know. We also had a referendum in which the majority of those who voted voted for remaining in the UK. Northern Ireland is not part of another country. It is part of the UK.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for twatting snipers with 88mm rounds, but, hello? High-rise building, two miles away? Anyone who pinpointed the location - "THAT building, that very specific one over there, WAY over there, thats the one!" could maybe have done with a reality check or two.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps