Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » US attacks John Simpson! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: US attacks John Simpson!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, they should, then, since the expectation that mistakes will be made is the most basic expectation one should have?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mistakes, perhaps. Repeated demonstrations of incompetence, no.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we must simply differ in our interpretation of events, I suppose. Where you see incompetance on a system-wide scale, I see isolated incidents of mistakes or stupidity performed by a few soldiers out of whatever huge number is currently in Iraq.

It is quite possible that I am simply cynical and callous. I don't know.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least its not incontinence on a large scale.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well have you ever taken a tracer in the loins?
Smells like barbeque. And the bladder boils like so much teapot.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've a little teapot
I've no handle
but here is my spout....

Has anyone thought that the soldiers hadn't expected to get shot at by journalists??

How many bombs were dropped that hit a friendly target, as a percentage of total ordinance? So we can see if an oops here and there was really blowen out of proporation, since there were so few combat casualties they are easier to focus on.

How many cases of 'friendly' fire happened during WWII. Didn't here about very many of them, did you, maybe because there were other things happening, or, all of the troops in WWII were better shots....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Has anyone thought that the soldiers hadn't expected to get shot at by journalists??"

If you're not talking about shooting photographs, then you've got to be joking...

[ April 14, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:

How many cases of 'friendly' fire happened during WWII. Didn't here about very many of them, did you, maybe because there were other things happening, or, all of the troops in WWII were better shots....

Or maybe because we lacked a global news service, information superhighway, satellite communications, and maybe, just maybe, because we weren't alive then.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:

There are a couple of members of my lodge who served during WWII. So I asked one of them, who'd fought in Europe in the Battle of the Bulge, what kind of friendly fire-casualty rate they had. And his response was...

"a shitload."

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Or maybe because we lacked a global news service, information superhighway, satellite communications, and maybe, just maybe, because we weren't alive then.

You forgot cable news channels with 24-hour repetitive coverage, super-sensationalistic media, "embedded" reporters, and Vietnam-protest-era leftovers trying to run things.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, is it left-wing media conspiracy time again?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's Monday, Bob, then, hell, yes it is! 8)

(Damn, I need to get my proper PC unpacked - this laptop can't handle Paint Shop Pro, and what we need right now is a CNN-style letters-of-fire graphic saying It's Left-Wing Media Conspiracy Time!)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I say anything about the Left? (Well, okay, the Vietnam-era protesters thing, MAYBE) Or anything about the media that isn't thoroughly well-known?

You know as well as I do that every news channel, CNN to FOX, kept reporting the same stuff over and over and over again, with those scrolling message bars and all that crap.

Your example of fire graphics helps prove my point about it being sensationalist.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
You know as well as I do that every news channel, CNN to FOX, kept reporting the same stuff over and over and over again, with those scrolling message bars and all that crap.

And hasn't it been along the lines of "yee haw, we're doing great!" rather than "US troops accidently mistook John Simpson for a WMD and tried to blow him up"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Actually, it's been about 10% "yee-haw," about 30% "we're doing okay, but there's still a lot of pockets of resistance" and about 60% "it's all chaos and riots and looting" lately.

Aside from the occasional Peter Arnett discussion (failed plan? what a dolt!) or that CNN guy's confession about keeping Iraq's more egregious abuses secret.

Oh, and the little bits about the Axis of Weasel nations saying "Okay, we admit we're happy he's gone, now that you've done all the hard work, let the UN take over and give us oil. And you're not allowed to be mad at us anymore."

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, that made me laugh. Russia, Germany, and France had a meeting about it. Too bad they missed the important ones.

The US and UK should play off the UN for awhile, just to see if the other nations can find their scrotums...

On FOX News, Ed Asner really took a reaming, slammed him hard for his point of view. Not that I agreed with it, but I didn't agree with the woman blasting him either.

Although, with Russia, maybe not the government, supplying Iraq with stuff I can see why they would want to keep everyone out of there. This either tells us the Russian Government did it, or can't keep the people from breaking international law, so it looks bad either way.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps