Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » So, um, where ARE these WMDs? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  35  36  37   
Author Topic: So, um, where ARE these WMDs?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't quite fit in with the nature of this thread, but it's too slight to justify its own, and there has been some brief discussion of Campaign 2004 issues here.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c108:1:./temp/~c108SawekR::

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c108:2:./temp/~c108SawekR::

Both introduced this year. By Democrats, even! And I'm all "The heck?" Because, you know, Caeserlike extensions of power are supposed to be part of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy this time around.

Anyway, just an odd thing that caught my eye. Of course, all sorts of crazy bills get floated all the time, including quixotic amendment proposals. Still, pretty odd.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Both introduced this year. By Democrats, even! And I'm all "The heck?" Because, you know, Caeserlike extensions of power are supposed to be part of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy this time around.

Well, the Democratic party is a right wing party, y'know. Just look at Clinton's record.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
First of Two: I am interested in your PERSONAL OPINION on the hunt for WMD. None have been found, yet you claim Bush was not lying. So...where do you think they are, or what do you think was done to them, or why do you think they have not been found?

Please, back up your opinions and do not resort to bringing up past instances of lying/deceit.

--------------------
Meh

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know the same thing, frankly. I've been somewhat disappointed with Fo2's continual bashing of Clinton instead of addressing the question at hand, simply on the grounds that this could have been a good conversation with actual relevent facts involved. But he does raise one good question: where ARE the records of the destruction of those weapons? If we operate on the assumptions that Sadaam had WMDs at some point, which I don't think anyone disputes, and that he did not produce records of their destruction, which has not been disputed since First pointed it out, then either a) the weapons were destroyed and Sadaam kept no records; b) Sadaam chose not to produce the records when asked, even though he had them; c) the weapons were not destroyed by Sadaam Hussein, and thus no records existed. 'a' is unlikely, as Rob points out. 'b' is also unlikely, unless Sadaam specifically wanted to go to war and get stomped. 'c' is all I can figure. Of course, I also have to wonder why Sadaam wouldn't try to produce forged records. Perhaps any attempt at doing so would allow us to prove he was lying, whereas now there is still some doubt? Anyone know?

So, if 'c', there are still more possibilities. 1) the weapons were destroyed by someone else, i.e. American bombs. 2) the weapons are still intact somewhere in Iraq. 3) the weapons are still intact somewhere else, like Syria for example.

Such is my chain of reasoning at this point.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Donald Rumsfeld said: "We know where the weapons are: in the areas around Tikrit and Baghdad". If we "know where they are," then why haven't we found any? I doubt they grew feet and walked off, or that a few Iraqi soldiers are driving them around the country in a beat up pickup.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
3) the weapons are still intact somewhere else, like Syria for example.

Such is my chain of reasoning at this point.

I am fairly scared, because I had a conversation with a housemate a few months ago where we wondered how long it would take for this argument to be thrown up.

"Hey, the WMDs are in Syria!"
"Bomb Syria!"
"We have. Hey, the WMD are now in North Korea!"
"Bomb North Korea!"
"We have. Hey, the WMD are now in France!"
"Bomb France!"

And so on, until the end of time.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just do what the Americans always do.

Blame Canada.

Once Canada is gone, then the whole world would be free of its troubles......

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, France already has WMDs, y'know. Wut my point wasn't that I believed the weapons were in Syria. I was just listing what I saw as the logical list of possibilities, and Syria was an example chosen because if its proximity to the action, not because I believe the weapons are necessarily in Syria.

So what about my chain of reasoning? Am I missing possibilities? Are my assumptions flawed?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
First of Two: I am interested in your PERSONAL OPINION on the hunt for WMD. None have been found, yet you claim Bush was not lying. So...where do you think they are, or what do you think was done to them, or why do you think they have not been found?

Please, back up your opinions and do not resort to bringing up past instances of lying/deceit.

If I could back up my opinions with solid data, they wouldn't be opinions, they'd be facts.

I should point out that "None have been found, yet you claim Bush was not lying." is indicative of the "either-or" thought proccess that certain of us have chided in Omega re: evoluton.

Even IF no WMD are ever found, in the unlikely even that they were not there to be found in the first place, it is possible, for example, that Bush was provided with false or misleading intelligence regarding the weapons. If you are working from false data given to you by trusted sources, you cannot legitimately be said to be "lying" about it.

(To use an analogy, if you took an action, such as writing a petition or sending money to a person or organization, based upon a story told to you by a trusted person - mom or dad, or whomever you trust - and that story later turned out to be inaccurate, false, or an urban legend, would YOU deserve the blame for acting on information you believed to be true at the time?)

This would not be the first time a national leader was provided with inaccurate data by his sources. Nor would it be the first time that the US entered into a conflict because of said data.

(Personal Opinion: Possible, but doubtful)

Or they just haven't found them in the place where they are yet, which is my opinion.

My opinion is that the Iraqis used the 14-month run-up period (beginning at the moment that they understood that this administration was serious about making sure Iraq was disarmed - which was fairly early on) to war to hide whatever they could that they hadn't already managed to hide from the 1991-1998 inspector cycle. Remember, the Iraqis successfully hid their nuclear program from Hans Blix's team IAEA of inspectors in the years leading up to 1991, (Washington Post, Aug 6, 1991) and that the UN agencies left Iraq in 1998 with a general consensus that the Iraqis had not been forthcoming with their information and that they had discovered only a fraction of what the Iraqis were hiding.

I should note also, at this point, that the arguments that Iraq's chemical weapons would have exceeded their 'shelf life' is untenable for several reasons: Anthrax, for example, has a rather extended lifespan. IIRC, Guinard Island, which during WWII was test-infected with anthrax, was declared uninhabitable for 48 years, (and even after the 'cleanup,' some claim spores remain and could be infectious. Additionally, the argument depends on the certainty that no "seed stocks" remain (an unlikely 'certainty,' since the 1998 inspectors believed that they had not found all the stocks.)

I should also note that I have not heard a great deal about Iraq's underground complexes. Apparently, there are a number of them which have not been fully explored yet. Saddam Hussein's bodyguard, when debriefed by Israeli intelligence, is said to have claimed that weapons were stored in these bunkers. (If I were running things, these people who claimed to have knowledge of weapons locations would be made to lead us to them personally - at the end of long chains.)

Since I have seen no checklist of sites checked (or how thorough such checking was - I wouldn't be surprised if some folks were counting as "inspected" any site on which a US soldier set foot), I cannot tell whether these sites have been checked yet.

For those of you who might want to check this out for yourself, the claims of Abu Hamdi Mahmoud include:

Saddam has maintained an underground chemical weapons facility at the southern end of the Jadray Peninsula in Baghdad;

an assembly area near Ramadi for SCUD missiles imported from North Korea; and

two underground bunkers in Iraq's Western Desert that contain biological weapons;

and other weapons of mass destruction are concealed in a tunnel complex built by Chinese engineers beneath Baghdad's sewer system.

an underground complex in Ouja, to the north of Tikrit. The complex was built five years ago with help from Chinese engineers. The entrance to the site is through a house in Tikrit. It is the home of one of Saddam's cousins and is more than half a mile from where the weapons are stored."

Now as someone who lives in Southwestern PA, a place which is honeycombed by endless miles of underground tunnels (we mine coal here), I can't even begin to imagine how long searching through them would take. Especially if you didn't know where the entrances were. Especially if those entrances were deliberately concealed. Or destroyed, during evacuation of personnel.

Are they there, somewhere? I think so. I have been given no good reason yet to doubt the thesis.

Can I prove it? Fuck, if I could, would I be wasting time here talking to you bozos? [Big Grin]

Ask me me again if, after all 1600+ suspected sites are visited, and every lead from every informant has been run into the ground, there still hasn't been anything found.

We will see.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Saddam had WMD's, why would he hide them and not use them during the invasion to oust him from power?

Wasn't he, after all, such an immediate threat to the security of the United States that he had to be preempted before he could use them on us?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplest two explanations:

1. He had hidden them too deep and over too long a period of time to be able to retrieve them in the very short time between the cessation of political maneuvering and the onset of military maneuvering. I suspect that Hussein did not actually believe that the US would attack him when it did. Given that a great number of pundits agreed with him, it's not an unfair assumption. Many believed that if the opposition to the war could delay military action beyond a certain day (the new moon in March, I think it was), then it would not happen at all, at least not until the hot season was on the way out.

2. He had some intention of surviving the war intact.
This second belief is based upon US weapons policy, basely stated as: "Use conventional weapons on us, and we'll do the same. Use WMD, and we'll nuke you 'till you glow." It's also based on the common knowledge that Saddam Hussein likes to be alive. Saddam cares more for his own skin than to commit suicide intentionally. Without using WMD, he at least stands some chance of surviving and living to "fight another day" even if captured and imprisoned. (Napoleon did it, among others) Using WMD, he'd be as good as dead.

Take your pick, although there are other, less conventional and less convincing explanations.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the news, I can't remember whether it was yesterday or the day before, but CNN said that there was an investigation as to whether the reports the US government used to justify the invasion of Iraq were faked. I don't know if that's already been posted, and i'm not gonna look through 7 odd pages of posts to find out.

Personally I don't think Bush was justified in invading Iraq. I was not convinced that Iraq even had WMD's before the inspectors went in, last year. I think it was last year eh? Sometimes events like that seem like they happened no too long ago, but then it turns out it happened a long time ago.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:

Wasn't he, after all, such an immediate threat to the security of the United States that he had to be preempted before he could use them on us?

For the umpteenth time, no.

He had to be preempted before he could pass them down the pipeline to Al-Qaeda, the Arab Liberation Front, the 15 May Organization, the Palestine Liberation Front, the Abu Nidal Organization, or the Mujahedin-e Khalq.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

All right, thank you for doing that, Fo2. Now we've got your side, and you've got ours (me and whoever else believes Bush misled us, etc.). This can now be called a somewhat-intelligent debate (A very common adjective to describe Flare "debates"... [Wink] )

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my side:

The only true threat from a country that has WMDs is up north in Canada. Let's see now, we've got chemical weapons in the form of legalized reefer madness, biological weapons such as Canadian Bacon, cheese, oh, and don't forget germ warfare, like SARS, mad cow disease, etc.

And we've got the Pickering Nuclear Generation facility. I won't get into too much detail about THAT travesty, but we do have a lot of Uranium up here to mine.....

So you see that we're a dangerous country. If your intelligence can be trusted, we're the logical next target.

All for the sake of saving the world from weapons of mass destruction. A preemptive strike must occur with the coalition of the willing. The line must be drawn here, this far and no further!!!

And you get our vast oil resources to boot.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  35  36  37   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps