Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » OMG The boycott works! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: OMG The boycott works!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, let me say I didn't participate in this in any way, and I still think it's silly.

BUT...

quote:
JACQUES Chirac�s opposition to the war in Iraq and the desecration of Allied graves by anti-British vandals have ended France�s reign as the UK�s favourite holiday destination.

A loss of 300,000 visitors and a 25 per cent drop in bookings in a month mean Spain is now officially Britain�s top tourist venue after 14 years in second place.

quote:
One holiday, an activity break in the Dordogne, which includes archery, sailing, abseiling and windsurfing, has been discounted by nearly �1,000.

The �1,500 holiday is on offer to a family of five for �500 for a week on full board.

Wine, other sales take a hit

quote:
U.S. importers of French products said the effect has been significant. Guillaume Touton, a Frenchman who is president of wine distributor Monsieur Touton Selection Ltd. in New York, said anti-French feeling cost him $500,000 in sales last month. French wines usually account for two-thirds of his business, but now his customers, mostly retail stores, want something else.

"Typically, the guy says, 'No, I don't want French wine. Give me Spanish wine, Italian wine,' " said Touton, who has an office in Capitol Heights, Md.

W.J. Deutsch & Sons Ltd. of White Plains, N.Y. -- the No. 1 U.S. importer of French wines, as measured by cases shipped -- said its sales dropped 10 percent in the past two months. Bill Deutsch, its president, wouldn't divulge specific figures but said his sales were down by hundreds of thousands of dollars.

"We have seen French wines decreasing," Deutsch said. "We've seen stores take French wines off the floor of their store. We've seen major chains stop the advertising of French wines in their weekly ads." He reported substantial increases in sales of Italian, Australian and Spanish wines.

Patricia Carreras, president of IC&A Inc., a home-decor business in New York that imports exclusively French products, said sales have been down 40 to 50 percent since February. Her small firm, with four employees, sells Limoges porcelain, hand-painted candles picturing Parisian scenes, and other French-oriented products to big mail-order houses and other large U.S. companies.

"It's a very, very deep reaction," said Carreras, who is French. "We would never have expected something so lasting. I think it has been accelerating even in the last four weeks."

The importers, angry and frustrated, said the government in Paris did not comprehend the effect of its war position on French businesses.

Touton has tried to fight the trend by pledging to give $1 for every case of wine he sells to the USO to help U.S. troops in Iraq. He has done it for two weeks but it hasn't helped much. He said he thinks that business will pick up only when Chirac stops making anti-U.S. statements.

"We want to send the message to the French side to please do something. Or, if you don't want to do anything, then please shut up," Touton said.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never underestimate the power of the American consumer or the British tourist!

It's all a bit childish really, but not quite as childish as renaming the French Fries.
That was just pathetic behaviour.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, personally, intend to start freedom kissing at the earliest opportunity.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised, I would have thought Spain was number one already, what wiv all ver lads going dahn to Eyebeefa and havin' it large.

But then on second thoughts everyone goes across the Channel to buy cheap booze in Calais. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This shows how people being ignorant can greatly affect the world.

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utterly disgusting.

So, when is the boycott of Canadian Bacon and Beer going to begin? I think our government has spit out more virulent and severe forms of Anti-Americanism than France has.

In retrospect, France should have just shut up and let, oh, China take the rap. And what happened to boycotts of China, Russia, and Germany?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China?
Why would China give a rats ass about what happens to Iraq? Didn't they abstain on most of the UN votes about Iraq?

Besides, before the whole war and after 9-11 there were amusing rumours that China would turn a blind eye to America's war on terror, in return for China having a free hand at taking down Muslim separatists in western China. All in all, a pretty sweet deal [Wink]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are products manufactured in Canada?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate this culture. I really do.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was manufactured in Canada.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, it is childish for people to boycott, or demonstrate against the Freedom point of view, but it is alright to protest against the war???

At least the boycotting isn't a violent protest with people getting arrested.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's see if there's a difference...

protesters: "We think the US government is abusing its power and disregarding any hopes of world peace for its own benefit."

boycotters: "We think the French are smelly."

I wonder who has the more valid position for protest?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The previous announcement was made possible by your Total Shite Network.

Try this for positions. And I'm not even boycotting the weasels.

boycotters: We think the French are abusing their position on the Security Council to hold on to their oil interests in Iraq, continued to sell weapons to Iraq, are unwilling to take ANY measures to bring about positive change in the Middle East, are willing to endanger others to maintain their power base, are willing to threaten other countries who disagree with them, are hypocritically involving themselves militarily in the Ivory Coast, are jerks for trying to control a defense organization whose military arm they pulled out of, and should finally be given a taste of their own arrogance and smugness that we've had to put up with for the last several decades.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
And what happened to boycotts of China, Russia, and Germany?

Here's what.

quote:
WASHINGTON, April 15 (UPI) -- Condoleezza Rice, President George W. Bush's national security adviser, is reliably said to have summarized post-war policy to the non-allies with the phrase: "Punish France, ignore Germany, forgive Russia."

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps