Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » More evidence Kyoto Science was flawed (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: More evidence Kyoto Science was flawed
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Someday we'll look back fondly on the time when Australia was inhabitable.

I should get back to my arctic adventure story.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biased you say? When in fact we just won an award for lowest VOC emissions for a facility this size? Biased? Because instead of expanding production we instead spent over $2million on VOC emission control equipment? Spent $1.5million on a device to recycle the CO2 that we use? Biased when we buy 20% of our power from "alternate" sources like wind, solar, landfill-gas reclaim and tidal plants even though it costs much much more than plugging into Russel Station Coal Power Plant across town?

Hmmmm...

Intresting how no one really knows if our polution is to blame or if this is a natural warming cycle yet people crap all over industry because the Mighty God Of The World The All Powerful American Goverment bows to the greenicks.

Look up for yourself and see how many powerplants are slated to close because the utility companies can't afford the upgraded enviromental control systems. Yeah. That'll help the straining grid. Better start conserving now, because power-rationing is around the corner. Can't conserve what we don't have! Remember that!

While you are at it look up the cost of enviromental control equipment, look up what happened to the people who worked at Diaz Chemical here in Holley NY. Now apply that across the country and the economic cost is staggering.

Someday you'll be telling your children about the day the last american industrial worker was hired by Burger King, and the day we became total slaves to overseas manufacturing.

Krrrriest I need a beer. Ya'll piss me off.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the good thing is, that with global warming the people won't be too cold at night, as they lose their homes, or lose the power to run them....

Still, Sty, if more companies were as you say, then we could all breath a bit easier in the long run, although you don't have stockholders to please do you? I mean, when you hold half a million to a million stock options as a CEO of a big conglomerate you don't want that pricing lowering because you spent money on something like emission controls.... You have got to keep the profit up, so you are worth more and more every day....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"with global warming the people won't be too cold at night..."

No... they'll just be soaking wet. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are privatly owned, not publicly traded.

My wife and I own 75% of the "stock" and the rest is divided up amongst family members that contrubited to the company. Like Uncle Fred who helped float our first loan, and Liz's mother who ran our accounting system untill it got complex.

This is one reason that we will never "go public" with this company. You do somthing positive like add emission control, your stock price plunges to the ground. You do somthing negitive like lay off 2,000 workers and move thier work overseas then your stock-price goes back up.

...and don't get me started on that whole "Company X failed to meet analyst's expectations of $.25/share earnings therefore the stock price collapsed..." crap. And that entire "Stock-Price more important than growth" crap that put us in this depression to begin with.

...I need another beer. Stat!

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Styrofoaman said: "It's been known for a long long time that this global-warming thing is utter crap."
"The All Powerful American Goverment bows to the greenicks"

I'm not questioning the professionalism and ethics you strive to live by in the management of your factory, in fact I commend it, but looking at what you've said in this discussion, regarding any proposed bias on your part, um, alarm bells are ringing.

Also, the news just revealed that the US, under its new government, wants to step out of the Montreal Protocol as well.
The reason according to spokesmen is that the US wants to protect the legions of farmers using ozone-consuming pesticides and fertilizers, so that the farmers' budgets will look better.

Not only does the US want to keep on using these pesticides and fertilizers but is asking for permission to increase the use of them.

Since the US alone uses more of this stuff than all of Europe combined, our continued restrictions will in the future become negligible compared to your policy-reversal and increased usage.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

Ah, sorry. I must have missed that about the fertilizers.

Intresting.

---

I'm not biased when it comes to enviromental controls. Dumping VOC into the air above Fairport is not a good thing by any means. I just get mad when they pass (IMHO) knee-jerk bills restricting my activites based on flimsy science.

Hmmm... this is turning into a three-beer thread. Anyone else want one?

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually trying to cut down (little pun there), but thanks anyway.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US Gov't will probably reverse the reverses when a different Administration comes in to power in a little over a year.

"I just get mad when they pass (IMHO) knee-jerk bills restricting my activites based on flimsy science."

And the same people that cheer over this would scream if someone even proposed a bill with biblical backing....

--------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that this world could stand to be a few degrees warmer...

How do the scientists know that the recent trend is human caused. They use tree rings and other crap to determine what the temperature used to be like.

But how do they know what the Earth's temperature was 80 million years ago? They can't, cuz they weren't there. So they have no basis on which to make thier claims.

The planet survived thousands of other problems. Asteroids, Comets, Volcanos. I'm sure it can survive us.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Styro, I applaud you for your environmental efforts. But surely you see that not every business is going to have your scruples. However, I suggest that perhaps your anger is misplaced. By making it more expensive for you to do business, perhaps the government is acting irresponsibly by not holding overseas suppliers to the same standards, compensating you and your domestic peers, or adjusting tariffs such that the pricing would be competitive. You could ask your representatives about that. Because I mean it sounds like that what's upsetting you. I don't know that I could ever really be upset about legislation that was a touch over-cautious when it comes to balancing the potential habitability of the planet versus profit margins.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Biased you say? When in fact we just won an award for lowest VOC emissions for a facility this size? Biased? Because instead of expanding production we instead spent over $2million on VOC emission control equipment? Spent $1.5million on a device to recycle the CO2 that we use? Biased when we buy 20% of our power from "alternate" sources like wind, solar, landfill-gas reclaim and tidal plants even though it costs much much more than plugging into Russel Station Coal Power Plant across town?
Really, thats absolutely impressive.
It is completely stunning, the quality of the forumgoer we attract here at Flare.
I'm sure we'd all appreciate a link to the organisation that gave your facility an award, so we can read all about your achievements.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It rocks that your company destroys the environment slower than your competitors.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Yes, I can see the pot of gold, and I am happy that I am now rich, but someone is probably going to hit me in the head with it....

Yep, outside that silver lining is that fucking dark cloud.....

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps