Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Senior Project: of cameras and computers (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Senior Project: of cameras and computers
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"From" is already included in "whence".
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't swipe cards as you enter classes be an easier method of knowing if you show up? I know your friends could swipe you in and screw up attendance, but this method has been used in factories for at least the last 70 years. Much less complex and cheaper to implement. Remember thr first rule of engineering, KISS.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the system used at my school and it works pretty well. It's just a standard industrial swiping system, everyone has a card and it's easy to track who's in and who's not. Except when the computers go mad.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's something vaguely unsettling about the prospect of treating attendance at church like time at work in a factory, although I can't quite put my finger on it...
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a private Christian university. People who go here know exactly what the rules are. If they don't like that, they're perfectly free to go anywhere else they please.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was referring to the swipe cards (i.e. factory style) mentioned by Grocka and Wraith.
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not attend a church with a time-card system. "You missed two days last spring NOW YOU WILL BURN IN HELL!!! Unless you load up the collection plate next go'round."

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's already the way it is. It's just that they'd have more solid evidence.
Omega
Member # 91

*L*

Y'all have funny views of how we think church works. I like it. [Smile]

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually my reply was based on a combo my the sum of all my vists to church and my last preformance review as a mere mortal.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to go really old fashioned and anti-tech, couldn't you just have a register? It gets passed around the class, and everyone there signs next to their name. I know it's open to abuse, probably not as much as you think. People are lazy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Couldn't the camera thing be easily circumvented by having your buddy put a book or something on your seat for the duration of the class? The camera wouldn't see the seat cover, so it would think you were in class.
Omega
Member # 91

Well, to go really old fashioned and anti-tech, couldn't you just have a register?

Actually, we do that for the 200 or so seats on the floor of the arena, and for people who are late, and for everyone on Fridays when we're in chapel elsewhere. I didn't say this was the BEST system in the world. It's just what they do, and I may as well take advantage of it and build a nifty toy.

And the camera thing could only be circumvented if the entirity of the seat was covered. Which is possible, of course, but it'd take more than a book, and I don't think anyone would really go to the trouble.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega-3 said:"Actually, we do that for the 200 or so seats on the floor of the arena"

Wow, like that vulcan Pon'Farr arena? "Da-di-Da da da da da Da-di-daaa da"!?

I haven't even asked, are you protestant or catholic, Omega?

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps