Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Senior Project: of cameras and computers (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Senior Project: of cameras and computers
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like a good place to test just what god and jesus did tell us.

Bible test

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is there a Holy Trinity Plus Brigham Young?

A Trinity in four parts? Sounds familiar...

quote:
but from what I understand, one man was supposedly told the whole thing at one time
...and he allegedly discovered the book of Mormon written on gold tablets buried in upstate New York. Anytime he had to consult these tablets he went behind a screen; I think only one other person ever claimed to have seen them. So a really plausible story then.

quote:
Seems like a good place to test just what god and jesus did tell us.

Bible test

The requested document, http://www.ffrf.org/bquiz.html, will not be shown.

Reason: Found in Denied List (Occult/New Age). Entry causing block is ffrf.org.

I love the school's blocking system... [Wink]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your school calls "occult" anything that questions the veracity of the bible? You're not going to Omega's school, are you?

BTW, I scored a 27 out of 50.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 out of 50!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"occult" has nothing to do with something questioning canon bible texts. The events in the bible can be described as occult, though. Stigmata, walking on water, raising dry bones. That's occult.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the Freedom From Religion Foundation, innit? That would probably trigger the occult/new age alarm bells. . .

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironic that his school should block a site devoted to keeping church and state seperate...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to Korah and his family? Shoot, I'VE never heard of that one, and I used to be the local Bible trivia geek.

The rest of this test is crap, BTW. It operates on the assumption that God approves of everything that happened in the Bible, i.e. Gideon and his huge family, Solomon's thousand girlfriends, Jephthah's sacrificing his daugther (assuming he did), etc. The Bible never says God approved of any of that, it just says it happened. Further, it takes many things out of context. I'd be happy to go through each question explaining the actual teachings of Christianity as opposed to those the maker of this test seems to believe, if anyone would actually be interested. [Smile]

Oh, and just for the record, 34/50, trying to guess what answers they wanted. Of course, at least a few of the "correct" answers are crap anyway. i.e. "Don't boil a kid in its mother's milk" is NOT the tenth commandment, unless you use very unconventional definitions of the "Ten Commandments". I especially like the bit about when Jesus allows divorce. The correct response, like my Bible teacher is fond of saying, is "WRONG QUESTION!" This test shouldn't be multiple choice, each question should be an essay explaining why the question is wrong. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Since 1978, the nonprofit Freedom From Religion Foundation has been working to

* keep state and church separate
* educate the public about the views of nontheists.

And that is occult? Pokemon and Harry Potter are more occult than this.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
Member # 393

Now ask Wraithy to visit a Harry Potter or Pok�mon site and see what happens. 8)

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when is "New Age" something that comes up on Internet filters, anyway? Would it block, like, a Yanni site, or something? I mean, that example might actually be for the better, but still...

"Of course, at least a few of the 'correct' answers are crap anyway. i.e. 'Don't boil a kid in its mother's milk' is NOT the tenth commandment, unless you use very unconventional definitions of the 'Ten Commandments'."

Did you even read the explanation of the answer? They were referring to the bible's own definition of "the ten commandments".

"I especially like the bit about when Jesus allows divorce. The correct response, like my Bible teacher is fond of saying, is 'WRONG QUESTION!'"

Why? Because you don't agree with it, but it would be bad to disagree with Jesus? And, therefore, one shouldn't even ask the question? One should just pretend there's no disagreement?

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to understand the context in which Jesus was being asked the question. At the time there were two schools of thought. One said a man could divorce his wife for anything, buring toast, whatever. The other said it was only in cases of adultery. But the problem was, both groups were looking for a way out. They wanted a rule that they could skirt the very edge of, so they'd know exactly how far they could go. But it's not a question of rules. God indended marriage to be one man and one woman, for their entire lives. Life as it is intended to be lived. The question should always be, how can I live my life in accordance with God's plan for life? Thus the question of "how far can I go and still get away with it?" is the wrong question.

(Oh, and BTW, the bit about sexual infidelity being grounds for divorce is considered by many scholars to refer to the kind of divorce Joseph was planning to seek from Mary, before they were actually married. Just an aside.)

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
26! Admittedly, five of those I had to guess (biblical punishment not being my strong suit), but hey, you learn.

"It operates on the assumption that God approves of everything that happened in the Bible..."

And this is an unreasonable assumption because...?

"I'd be happy to go through each question explaining the actual teachings of Christianity as opposed to those the maker of this test seems to believe..."

Please do. Since your opinion doesn't matter and the Actual Teachings vary from person to person anyway, what harm can it bring? B)

Omega
Member # 91

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

"It operates on the assumption that God approves of everything that happened in the Bible..."

And this is an unreasonable assumption because...?

Well, you've got two assumptions you can make: a) God approves of every event that is recorded in the Bible, or b) God disapproves of some events that are recorded in the Bible, and his disapproval simply isn't voiced in every instance. If you assume 'a' when you can just as easily assume 'b', and when 'a' results in massive contradictions and 'b' doesn't, I would say that assuming 'a' is unreasonable. The simplest workable, accurate explanation is probably the correct one. [Smile]

Put another way, you're proposing that God can be assumed to approve of specific events on which He has no recorded stated opinion. One of the defining principles of the Church of Christ is that we are silent where the Bible is silent. Mind you, that's not necessarily the case, but it's a nice idea at the very least. [Smile]

Okay, Cartman, ask and you shall receive. Just give me a few minutes and I'll post again with my response to the test. [Smile]

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, shit, there goes the neighborhood.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps