Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Senior Project: of cameras and computers (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Senior Project: of cameras and computers
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not at all, can be done in a few hours, complete with custom bends. A trip switch with a timer to restart can be made to ensure proper alignment everytime, with you computer telling the unit, you are at position to, adjust angle to this elevation snap the pic and move on.

An I-beam contruction for the tram would be the most stable.

I have installed a drop ceiling in a bank converted from a hall of some sort, with ceilings that high, not a big deal, unless part of the crew is afraid of heights....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggested that, just have the thing go at a constant velocity every time and tell it to stop at certain times. Unfortunately, he still thinks it won't work. See, this thing has to be at exactly the same place, probably down to the millimeter. It'd be 50' away from a 2.5' target. The slightest deviation and the software won't be able to handle it.

However, if the railing were stable enough, an i-beam like you say, we could place on the beam itself a marker telling the tram where to stop. That I think we could get exact enough. Another possibility was to put a laser on the thing about 35 degrees above the plane of the camera, and have it look for a reflector that we put on the wall. Of course, THAT would take a rather high-powered laser. This isn't gonna be cheap no matter how you go at it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, and you don't want to half step it either.
If you set you system up to use something like mils (1 mil = 0.05625 deg) at 100-00 you could end up with a 3.048 cm error margin at worst, if you can get it do be that accurate. A 1 mil error is being off 1 m at 1000 m.

To negate this you could have the computer align the pictures with your target reflector/object. This is beyond me in programming, but I would imagine that it could be done.

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put index notches in the location you want the camara to stop at.

Simple light and eye arrangment reads the index notch and stops the camara at the exact same spot.

You did plan on using stepper moters right?

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, notches seem to be the simplest way to go. What, exactly, is a stepper motor? I'm EECE, not EMCH. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Sounds like a motor that is supposed to run intermitintly(SP? brain cramp)....

Didn't even think of notches, jumpin'

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps