Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Saddam got caught!!!?! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Saddam got caught!!!?!
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arab reaction:

Gulf News

quote:
Most people welcomed the news, and hoped the former Iraqi president's capture would put a stop to the killings in Iraq and bring peace.

quote:
Ms Rizvi, a Pakistani manager and consultant in the automobile industry, said: "The capture of Saddam will not benefit anyone except America. They wanted to capture him and this will not help in anyway the international peace or reconstruction in Iraq."

quote:
Ali Al Jallaf, a UAE government official, said: "Capturing Saddam will not change the current situation in Iraq in any way. The question now is: will the American troops withdraw and hand over Iraq to its people or not?"
quote:
Salahuddin Al Kadiki, a Canadian of Libyan origin, said: "Saddam's capture is a happy end of a sad drama. I hope it will be a peaceful start for a bright future."
quote:
In Abu Dhabi, Abdul Monem Hariri, a Syrian mobile phone dealer, said: "I don't think the capture of Saddam means the end of the Iraqi resistance and the internal problems in Iraq. Saddam is not Iraq and Iraq is not Saddam. The problem is the US occupation."

Tawfiq Gaddah, an old Arab truck driver, was still unable to believe the news. "I don't believe it. The one they showed on television is Saddam's lookalike. Saddam cannot be captured and will never be captured."

Rafa Khalil, a Syrian expatriate, said: "It is a happy day� now we all take a rest, the Iraqis and Iraq's neighbours do not have to fear anymore".

Palestinian expatriate Abu Baker Abu Qatish said: "This was an eventual end for Saddam like death is a natural end for every human being.

"He was bound to get caught and I expected it - but I believe that Saddam had a right to fight for his life. If I was in his shoes I would fight till death."

Al-Jazeera [Wink]

quote:
"It is happy news but we wish it were the Iraqi people who had captured him, not [US] troops, because this will give Bush a boost in the upcoming election," said Bahraini salesman Husayn Jafar as news of Saddam's capture swept through Arab capitals.
quote:
Saddam may have been seen as a dictator who oppressed his people, but many also saw him as the only Arab leader who stood up to the US, which they said rode roughshod through the region.
quote:
"It's a black day in history. I'm saying so not because Saddam is an Arab but because he is the only man who said 'no' to American injustice in the Middle East," said Sadiq Husam, a 33-year-old taxi driver in the West Bank city of Ram Allah.
quote:
But in Kuwait, occupied by Iraq in 1990-1991, the reaction was one of joy. Some cars honked horns along a seaside road that during the occupation had been lined with Iraqi army positions.

"We are so happy they got him," said Kuwaiti Muhammad al-Hudiab, cruising the Arabian Gulf seafront in his jeep.

"The people of Iraq have been brainwashed by the Saddam regime. They need another 20 years to realise that the Kuwaitis are not to blame for the Iraqis' plight."

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting take on the capture,

Saddam was a prisoner
Don't know if it is true, they are claiming that Saddam had a gun on him when he captured, but it also isn't the first time a gun was planted on a suspect.
It was also said that he was turned in by family members, has anyone seen I.D. on the men captured with Hussain, were they family members?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saddam cannot be captured and will never be captured.

Why am I getting flashes of Arthur? "The once and future bloody dictator from hell?"

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

The link Grokca provided is certainly interesting and is one possibility. In particular, the comment about the capture being a matter of national pride for the US; no mention was made in the initial press briefing about the substantial role of Kurdish intelligence and troops. Incidentally, I'm quite glad that the Dear Leader persuaded Bush to tone down the triumphalism in his comments. The 'We've got him' was inappropriate and unprofessional, not to mention completely lacking in style.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evil always has a successor ready to carry on the run of destruction. There is someone, somewhere, who is of the same mind ready to begin his/her reign of terror. The true question is whether or not there will be someone willing to pay the price of stopping them.

"All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or for said good men to aid it.

"Is there evidence of this?"

If you construe "encouraged by its government" as "certain elements within the Saudi royal family payed Bin Laden protection money to keep him of their backs and are in the habit of funneling large amounts of credits to Islamic fundamentalists", then yes, there is. The trails invariably lead back to S-A, anyway.

This is from a Newsweek article published 11/23/2002 by Michael Isikoff:

quote:
The FBI is investigating whether the Saudi Arabian government�using the bank account of the wife of a senior Saudi diplomat�sent tens of thousands of dollars to two Saudi students in the United States who provided assistance to two of the September 11 hijackers, according to law-enforcement sources.

THE BUREAU, THEY SAY, has uncovered financial records showing a steady stream of payments to the family of one of the students, Omar Al Bayoumi. The money moved into the family�s bank account beginning in early 2000, just a few months after hijackers Khalid Almidhar and Nawaf Alhazmi arrived in Los Angeles from an Al Qaeda planning summit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, according to the sources. Within days of the terrorists� arrival in the United State, Al Bayoumi befriended the two men who would eventually hijack American Flight 77, throwing them a welcoming party in San Diego and guaranteeing their lease on an apartment next door to his own. Al Bayoumi also paid $1,500 to cover the first two months of rent for Al Midhar and Alhazmi, although officials said it is possible that the hijackers later repaid the money.

Sources familiar with the evidence say the payments�amounting to about $3,500 a month�came from an account at Washington�s Riggs Bank in the name of Princess Haifa Al-Faisal, the wife of Saudi Ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, and the daughter of the late Saudi King Faisal. After Al Bayoumi left the country in July 2001�two months before the September 11 terror attacks�payments for roughly the same amount began flowing every month to Osama Basnan, a close associate of Al Bayoumi�s who also befriended the hijackers. A federal law-enforcement source told NEWSWEEK that Basnan�who was recently convicted of visa fraud and is awaiting deportation�was a known �Al Qaeda sympathizer� who �celebrated the heroes of September 11� at a party after the attacks and openly talked about �what a wonderful, glorious day it had been.�

Administration officials stressed repeatedly in interviews that they do not know the purpose of the payments from Princess Haifa�s account. It is also uncertain whether the money was given to the hijackers by Al Bayoumi or Basman. White House sources also raised a number of other cautionary notes, saying that it was not uncommon for wealthy Saudis to provide financial assistance to struggling Saudi families in the United States. �The facts are unclear, and there�s no need to rush to judgement,� said one administration official.

But other sources describe the financial records as �explosive� and say the information has spurred an intense, behind-the-scenes battle between congressional leaders and the Bush administration over whether evidence highly embarrassing to the Saudi government should be publicly disclosed�especially at a time that the White House is aggressively seeking Saudi support for a possible war against Iraq. �This is a matter of the foreign-policy interests of the United States,� said another administration official, who cited the need to prevent a rift in the U.S.-Saudi relationship.

A spokesperson for Princess Haifa said �she will cooperate fully with the United States.� The princess hasn�t been asked about the payments by any representatives of the U.S. government, and she wasn�t aware of the allegations until today, her spokesperson said.

Administration officials expressed concerns that premature disclosure of the evidence of the financial payments could jeopardize the ongoing FBI probe, especially the bureau�s efforts to apprehend and develop a case against Al Bayoumi. Upon leaving the United States last year, Al Bayoumi flew to Great Britain where he enrolled in a graduate-level business program at Birmingham�s Aston University. He was arrested by New Scotland Yard after September 11 but adamantly denied any connection to the attacks or knowledge of the hijacker�s links to Al Qaeda and was released a week later for lack of evidence. He is now believed to be back in Saudi Arabia. Law-enforcement officials say they are still intensely investigating his activities, suspecting that he may have served as an �advance man� for the hijackers.

Make of that what you will.

"I'm curious about your response to Fukuyama's essay. Where do you think he went wrong in it?"

Well, for one thing, I don't think that terrorism, which is as subjective a term as legitimacy, can be fought the way it is being fought. Furthermore, where does self-defense end and military aggression begin? How do you seperate it from political opportunism? Are preemptive wars even justifiable under the present circumstances? Those questions shouldn't have gone unanswered.

"He was kickin' back with a cigar as he ordered gass attacks of the Kurds and was living the good life in several palaces while children he put in prison wasted away."

Of course, if you want to try Saddam for what he did to the Kurds, then by extension you'll also have to try the CIA for supplying the gas.

[ December 15, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Just load one bullett into a revolver.
Each of the victims family menbers gets to pull the trigger once utill justice is served.
At sveral milion tries, there's still a slight* chance he wouldnt be killed after all.

Only if this revolver has several million chambers.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, there's always the Napoleon option; we just bung him on an isolated island somewhere with copious quantities of arsenic flavoured wall paper..."

Only problem is that, with Napoléon, they had to do it twice. First time, he came back.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Yes, but we know which island to use now. And not to allow him a 1000 strong bodyguard.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Yes, but we know which island to use now.

Bikini Atoll?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting theory: what if, during the trial, Saddam mentions all the US aid he got? Including his visit with Donald Rumsfeld in the 1980's?

--------------------
Meh

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you right now that any examination of Saddam's priors will shed an entirely new light on his victors for the Iraqi people.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They won't let him. And if he does, it'll go totally unreported in the US press. Bush's reelection chances depend on this going exactly right, they're not going to take chances on inconvenient things like the odd home truth coming out during the trial. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We supplied Sadaam with weapons that he then went on to use in mass murder and attempted genocide. We also left him in power for a decade or two after this happened. These are bad things. However, what would you have us do about it now? Kick over his government and put him on trial?

We supported Russia against Germany, Iran against Russia, Iraq against Iran. It's taken us this long, but we've cleaned up our own mess. What else would you have us do?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, are you saying that it will come up in the trial, the government will admit to it, and the people will forgive them?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps