Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I join the ranks of the SUV haters (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: I join the ranks of the SUV haters
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now, I know Americans are terrible, terrible drivers, but surely they have the same rule we do about leaving adequate stopping distance between yourself and the traffic in front?"

Of course we do. But when have we ever followed rules?

Jason: Not to sound matronly or anything, but where was your bicycle helmet during all this?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was 12 years ago: bicycle helmets were occasionally seen on pro riders, but that's about it.
Besides, if the mirror had nailed me in the back of the neck/head, I'd certainlty be dead, helmet or no.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White-van drivers, now there's a thought. There is, I have to admit, something completely bizarre about their behaviour on the road. I think it basically comes down to most such vehicles generally not being owned by the people driving them - they're work vehicles, say, or are hired for one reason or another.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I'm going to have to single out a group to hate, it'd have to be old people. They drive slowly, they have no regard for anyone around them, and I'd be willing to bet that a large number of them have worse eyesight than a blind dog.

Plus they have (I'm sure) that old person arrogance of "I've been around for ages, so I am automatically better than everyone else".

Hate them.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, so they're overcautious. Give me annoying over maniacally dangerous any day.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they're often dangerously overcautious. Plus they pay no attention to anything, and cause long queues in the doctors.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys should just place your elderly out on icebergs to die a final dignified death, its the Canadian way.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forced Viking Funerals at age 80.

Except my Grandma: she'd kick your asses.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

*nervously conceals the flashing red jewel on his palm*

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most annoying thing on German roads are Audi and VW station wagon drivers - the businessman types who are always in a hurry and will try to knock you off the road even if you are already 20 mph beyond the speed limit...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's anything I hate about certain types of drivers, its those that smoke in their car. Especially those that smoke in their car with children in it too. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SUVs aren't the problem ... 18-wheelers are the real hazard around Maryland ...

A couple of weeks ago, two doctors were driving on I-83 into Baltimore City. They were married, probably worked at Hopkins, and had their two kids in the back seat of their H2.

The driver lost control, and got clipped by an 18-wheeler. As if that wasn't bad enough, the impact sent the H2 into the path of a SECOND 18-wheeler. The end result was a crunched H2, two dead MDs, and two (somehow) still living kids in the backseat.

You probably saw on the news the gas tanker that overturned in South Baltimore. For whatever reason (perhaps due to the liquid shifting weight in the trailer), the driver lost control, the truck went OFF the bridge, and crashed onto 95, exploded into a big ball of flame and smoke, and killed several people, and shut down 95 for a day or so.

Even an Army truck killed someone ... some yahoo in a ricer cut off a woman, who was forced to swerve into the path of an Army truck. Keep in mind that the DC/Balt corridor is littered with Army bases, and its not uncommon to see convoys of Humvees and trucks in forest green on 695 and 95. Anyway, the woman's car was crushed, she was killed, and the beltway didn't move for hours and hours.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The driver lost control, and got clipped by an 18-wheeler.

So the Hummer driver lost control, and it's the 18-wheeler's fault? Say wha?

Even an Army truck killed someone ... some yahoo in a ricer cut off a woman, who was forced to swerve into the path of an Army truck.

Again, say wha? It's hardly the truck or truckdriver's fault. The danger here is, as usual, human stupidity.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Flying Minister
Member # 1177

- posted      Profile for Flying Minister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just need to drive something other drivers can't miss seeing, and are afraid to hit. Now I have a beautiful 1991 Olds NinetyEight Regency Elite in the garage, but my everyday car is a 1974 Ford LTD. Over 2 tons of thick american steel, full frame construction, 6 inch steel I beams in the doors and fenders, dented, oxidized paint, and cancer in more than one spot. In other words, you can't miss seeing this car even if you have your head up your ass. And even big trucks and SUV's steer clear of it when I'm on the road.

I'm also not afraid to get hit when I'm in it. Only once has someone tried to cut me off while I was in this car, and he ended up with $4000 damage to his truck. I on the other hand just had a couple of small scratches on the bumper. I drove home, and he had to wait for the tow truck. Plus I made him pay to re-chrome my bumper, an $800 bill.

In other words, idiots on the road don't bother me that much. I say let them hit me. It's their funeral not mine.

--------------------
�����
Learn it, know it, live it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Feeling invunerable is always a good thing to do while using something that can cause death. Hooray!

And how do you know that it's American seel? Does it feel different from other sorts of steel?

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps