Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I join the ranks of the SUV haters (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: I join the ranks of the SUV haters
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My extra lamp pods, that only come on when I'm on high beam, provide so much illumination they can hypnotise a fox at 200m!"

My dad had a Dodge Charger back in the '70s and early '80s. At some point, he replaced the high beam bulbs with aircraft landing lights. I doubt that even your SUV can beat that.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume eventually he had to remove them as your increasing weight in the back seat caused the lights to angle ever skyward, to the point they became a danger to aircraft. . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee wins.

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
No, that's the point of the dimmed (side) lights. The full (main) lights are solely for road illumination in really really really thick fog or whatever.

I don't think so. I've been told by proper driving instructors that side lights don't actually increase the distance you can be seen from to any apreciable level. In fact, he said that you should never use them. If it's dark enough to put lights on, put on your (dipped) headlights.

Lee's right though. Either dipped headlights are extremely bright now, or more and more people are driving with their full beam on. It's gotten to the point that I hate driving from Liverpool to London when it's dark out, as I end up getting extremely sore eyes from overbright headlights.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the danger that Lee might be on the road. I mean, we already know how erratically the elderly tend to drive. And it'll be even worse if he's driving toward you and his super headlights reflect off your hair and blind him.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the problem is with the increasing number of trucks and SUVs on the road. Low beams or no low beams, their headlights are at about the same level as a car's rear-view mirrors. As for the rice rockets and their Xenon headlights, I'm willing to bet they don't know how to properly adjust them, going by the shafts of light they project -- they're not pointed down far enough usually.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but the auxiliary lights alongside the main headlights are called "parking lights" here in the US. I know in California, at least, it's illegal to drive with just those on, day or night. Which is annoying to me, as I'd gotten in the habit of turning them on whenever I'm driving to act as running lights. Some cars have additional lights mounted on the front fenders that come on when you engage the turn signal to illuminate the direction you're turning.

And for God's sake, don't use your high beams in the fog. The brighter the light, the more it reflects off the fog and the less visibility you'll have. Duh. Best thing to have in that case is yellow fog/driving lights mounted below or in your front bumper.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must have popped out to the kitchen for a snack, and maybe missed a couple of pages of this discussion, Timothy. The point is, you DON'T drive towards incoming traffic with your headlights on full beam.

As for fog lights, they're pretty standard here. . . I think. All cars have to have at least one extra red light at the back - I'm not actually sure about at the front. But yeah, using your lights on full-beam in fog is a recipe for disaster.

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True.

Anyway, here, front fog lights are not standard equipment (at least not on the standard models) but usually only available as an extra or in combination with a (bi-)xenon-light package.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"The point is, you DON'T drive towards incoming traffic with your headlights on full beam."

You're right. I don't. Though that doesn't necessarily mean that you don't.

That, and the joke doesn't work, otherwise. But far be it from you to let that stand in the way of facts, eh?

Lee
Member # 393

Again with the Nixpicking. You know full well what context that particular 'you' was being used in.

But far be it from YOU to let that stand in the way of being a smartass, eh?

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it'll be even worse if he's driving toward you and his super headlights reflect off your hair and blind him.

Liam's hair would fluoresce enough on its own to blind oncoming traffic for miles.

I've been told by proper driving instructors that side lights don't actually increase the distance you can be seen from to any apreciable level. In fact, he said that you should never use them. If it's dark enough to put lights on, put on your (dipped) headlights.

You have now spread fear, uncertainty and doubt throughout my system. Rarely, if ever, do I ignite my low or high main beams, and since I have never been pulled over for it, the side lights on my car are either bright enough to pass for mains or I'm at the center of a vast conspiracy. Ngh.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but the auxiliary lights alongside the main headlights are called "parking lights" here in the US.

Huh? Then what the heck are you supposed to use them for, maneuvering in dark garages?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with SUV's is that some of the current monsters are so high off the ground that their normal beams are right in your eyes anyway.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You have now spread fear, uncertainty and doubt throughout my system. Rarely, if ever, do I ignite my low or high main beams, and since I have never been pulled over for it, the side lights on my car are either bright enough to pass for mains or I'm at the center of a vast conspiracy. Ngh.

[

When you drive a vehicle only a little bit bigger than Stuart Little...who can tell the difference?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That joke would work better if you hadn't repeated the word "little" twice in one sentence. Bad writing, boy. Bad writing.

quote:
And it'll be even worse if he's driving toward you and his super headlights reflect off your hair and blind him.

Liam's hair would fluoresce enough on its own to blind oncoming traffic for miles.

My hair isn't fluorescent, it's grungy/ greasy. Keep up. And remind me to find some better photos of myself the next time I want to engage in blatent egomania.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
My hair isn't fluorescent, it's grungy/ greasy. Keep up. And remind me to find some better photos of myself the next time I want to engage in blatent egomania. [/QB]

So is it Psyliam the "three headed monster" or "Village People 2004"?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"But far be it from YOU to let that stand in the way of being a smartass, eh?"

Damn straight.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps