Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I join the ranks of the SUV haters (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: I join the ranks of the SUV haters
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly when did you decide to start hating everything and everyone?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone's had to pull back in when they were about to overtake, because someone else came up behind them too suddenly, at one time or another. Most of the time it comes down to the Blind Spot, or the other car just going too fast, so some sort of visibility problem that isn't your fault - like the other car not having its lights on when they really should have.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't most newer vehicles have daytime running lights anyways?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought they are just on cars whose owners are too stupid to ever turn off their headlights.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Exactly when did you decide to start hating everything and everyone?
February 1st of this year at 6:57pm and twenty-nine seconds. Would you like the milisecond, too, or is the above sufficient to quench your incesent curiousity?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Don't most newer vehicles have daytime running lights anyways?"

Actually, I heard somewhere once that "daytime running lights" were a Canadian thing, but I don't know if that's true or not.

"I didn't say it was EITHER of the 18-wheeler's fault.... And I don't know what part of your anus you reached into to decide that it was."

I suspect he got it from the fact that you prefaced your anecdote with "SUVs aren't the problem ... 18-wheelers are the real hazard around Maryland ...". You didn't say "18-wheelers are the real hazard, with the exception of the story I'm about to tell".

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daytime running lights are mandatory in Europe only in Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland), as far as I know. But definitely not in Germany. And I am actually against the idea - in spite of my experience on Sunday.
The reason? Most drivers I have met in my ten years of driving experience turned their lights on when the daytime or weather situation made it necessary. Only a very small minority did and does not. However, with ever more cars being equipped with ultrabright Xenon lights you are glad when they don't have their headlights on. The thought that all these cars would have their headlights on all day, even in brightest sunshine - of which we have a lot - sends shivers down my spine.

Besides, having your headlights on all the time makes for less economic fuel consumption. And though you Americans don't have to worry about that, WE in Europe and in Germany in particular have seen fuel prices soaring in recent years thanks not only to OPEC but to a very high so called "Eco-tax".

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a vaguely car related issue; I heard on the radio today that in-car GPS systems have female voices in the UK and US and male voices virtually everywhere else,is this true? and if so, why?
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, at least with BMW, Mercedes and Audi cars you can choose what kind of voice you would like to have - male or female.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Italy, it's now the law that all cars drive with their lights on all the time - and I don't mean just the side-lights, I mean the headlamps. I'm not sure whether that's a Italian law or something required by the EU - if it's the latter I'm sure we'll be hearing about it fromt he right-wing press very soon. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

It's certainly not EU law - not yet that is. And I hope it will never come about for the reasons given in my post above.

BTW, what are "side-lights"? Never heard of such a thing. [Confused]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Side lights are the lower-intensity bulbs located next to the main lights.

"Actually, at least with BMW, Mercedes and Audi cars you can choose what kind of voice you would like to have..."

Yes, thankfully. "Please turn left here." in a soft female voice is so much more assuring than "HIER LINKS MACHEN!" is in a hard male one. B)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

*LOL* [Big Grin]

And about the side-lights: thanx for the info. I'm not sure that we have them in Germany. (I know that German cars look somewhat different in the US and other countries, mainly because of different requirements concerning the various lights.)

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I'm not sure whether that's a Italian law or something required by the EU - if it's the latter I'm sure we'll be hearing about it fromt he right-wing press very soon. . .

It's Italian. Compared to most EU directives, that's far too sensible.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like daytime running lights because I ride a motorcycle. Motorcycles have been required to have the headlights on at all times since the early 70's, it was a way for us to be seen. Now with all cars on the road shining headlights, people are tending to ignore headlights again and it is putting motorcycles in the ignore catagory.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps