Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is Iraq Spiraling Our Of Control? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Is Iraq Spiraling Our Of Control?
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Saddam one of our puppets once upon a time? I hear he's not busy just now.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Of course, there is the slight problem that the good man hasn't actually set foot in Iraq for, oh, fifty years and consequently has ZERO authority there..."

Not to mention that he's a convicted criminal and fugitive.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the present battles in Iraq are indeed made to sound like Vietnam II, in reality, what's happening is that the bad guys have been drawn into a stand-up fight and that is where the US Marine comes out on top.

A lot of the get revenge for killing my brother mentality falls short when it's a foreign army and not the neighboring tribe. Not to imply that there won't be civil uprisings next week.. but there's bound to be less road-side bombs.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
Wasn't Saddam one of our puppets once upon a time? I hear he's not busy just now.

Popular misconception.
NO, Saddam was never even an ally: we once helped him out over even worse thugs when the world was intent on making a strange chess game out of the Cold War.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about when Rumsfeld visited him? When we failed to really "do anything" when Saddam gassed 5,000 KUrds?

He may not have been an "ally," but we certainly did not have anything against having him in power.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...we once helped him out over even worse thugs..."

Would that be the Iranians, to whom we also sold weapons?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this is why things aren't going so well...

quote:
This is Bush's 33rd visit to his ranch since becoming president. He has spent all or part of 233 days on his Texas ranch since taking office, according to a tally by CBS News. Adding his 78 visits to Camp David and his five visits to Kennebunkport, Maine, Bush has spent all or part of 500 days in office at one of his three retreats, or more than 40 percent of his presidency.

Dana Milbank and Robin Wright, The Washington Post

Not to put too fine a point on it, that's a great deal of time away from the office.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's the President: the "office" goes wherever he is.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"we once helped him out over even worse thugs when the world was intent on making a strange chess game out of the Cold War."

So he was a pawn, then?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, the rooks were taken, although he did ask to be the queen, although that spot was taken by Maggie at the time....

Maybe he left DC incase someone gassed or nuked it, really can't blame him for skying off then... Although to not have told anyone else....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: Saddam and Iran, we where supporting both sides, because we didn't really want either one to win.. but saddam's poison gas attack (not to imply that he had WMDs) turned the tide. That's when the Iran Contra thing came out and Saddam got just a little pissy. We told the Kurds and Shiates in the south, that we would help them overthrow Saddam.. and we didn't, so they got gassed too. It's no wonder that we're not that popular.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Dont forget us allowing Saddam to retain use of is helicopter gunships (and those lovely missles on them) after the first Gulf War.
Saddam, of course, used them to kill all those "allies" of ours that we called to "rise up" and overthrow him.

Aside from all that, I dont see whay we're not trusted in the region.

Not that any other country has dealt more fairly, of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
He's the President: the "office" goes wherever he is.

But we're at war man....we're at WAR!

WAR I say!

Shouldn't a War-time President not spend 40% of his time away from the place where the war is planned and conducted?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well...if we had a clear enemy and we could track it's movements, sure.

I'm not defending his absence from the White House but as long as he's not getting blown by some ugly chick while he is there, it's not a huge issue.

Who knows? He may have all the needed facilities now at his ranch?

I still have yet to be invited.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get your hopes up.

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps