Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is Iraq Spiraling Our Of Control? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Is Iraq Spiraling Our Of Control?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Aside from all that, I dont see whay we're not trusted in the region."

Might it have something to do with a small country called Israel, maybe?

Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's face it...the Bush Administration began this war under a false pretext (Weapons of Mass Destruction) so they can get control of Iraqi oil and secure bases for control of the middle east. Worse, as Richard Clarke has noted, the Neocons got so obsessed over Iraq that they never gave serious priority to the war on Al-Queda. As for the so-called "liberal media", that is a sham...after all most TV, cable stations, radio stations and newspapers nowadays are controoled by giant media conglomerates that are decidedly pro-republican...hell Fox might as well be a propaganda arm for the US Government.
I found a better source of news nowadays on this deplorable war; namely the Common Dreams website. It has been doing its share of reprting on the unraveling of the lies surrounding this war.

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, other people say it better than you can.

quote:
And since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a couple of pictures. On the left is Fallujah yesterday, the center of a week-old uprising that threatens our entire mission in Iraq. On the right is our war president, George Bush, demonstrating his sense of urgency over this problem by, yes, taking yet another vacation. In case you're curious, he was leading a nature tour of his ranch in Crawford.

-  -

Kevin Drum, Political Animal blog of the Washington Monthly

Oh, by the way, today, we lost control of part of Baghdad.

U.S. Forces in Iraq Pull Out of Baghdad's Sadr City, AFP Says

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Flare, HH.

Well, you see, when you invade a country, even if the population might be happy of seeing their oppressive leader overthrown, they will not be too eager to see an alien government in charge. Not to say, of course, the political factions and tribes trying to profit from the situation.

Behold the chiites. Or the Baath partisans. Not until one (and just one) of their groups takes control of Iraq will be some sort of 'peace'. There is no conception of a modern, democratic, and participative nation-state. These people are used to a whole different concept of country. And, provided they all like the same strip of land, the US Govt (and dare I say, the UN) proposal of having an all-encompassing state for every tribe in Iraq is anything but a peaceful solution.

Heck, look at those 3 Japanese hostages to see what I mean...

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now they are saying some Americans are missing, too. And possibly some Italians, a Briton, a Canadian, two Palestinians...I'm guessing most of these hostages will be killed.

Iraq has turned into the new Lebanon.

--------------------
Meh

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking we have but two choices here. Nuke the SOBs or pull out. The first one would cause more problems than it solves and the second one won't happen because Bush Inc. doesn't want to loose face.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at this point he could decide to be 'gracious' and allow the UN to step in.. then as the assembled nations of the world get their asses kicked he could say 'see, told you the UN hasn't got what it takes...'

like, around election time or something...

(actually the loss of soft drink sales and construction contracts will probably remove most of bush's corporate backing, the real source of his power. commercial interests in this case have been shown to be a for more unstoppable source of military might than the mere soldiers and bombs he would be left with if the corporate $$ dont get what they were promised.. a piece of a new empire outpost and new sales territory)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when has the UN wanted any part of this mess?
Sure, they want to oversee the elections, the contracts for rebuilding and the oil flow, but I sure havent seen them leap to provide military or even police-enforcment support.

It really seems that since we snubbed the UN and invaded anyway, they now want to wash their tenticles of the whole business.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush's range... very lush. I alway pictured a Texan ranch as being quite dry and flat.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always picture Australia as one big Ayers Rock.

Last time I was in Dallas it was a cold wet shithole of a town with lots of potholes.

Mexico is one big set from an old Clint Eastwood western (although I know those were shot overseas).

Britan's just one big pub.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, Bush also spent the day being filmed fishing with his father, so that he could aim part of his campaign at the "sportsman" demographic.

Iraq has descended into the worst fighting since we "won" the war, and Bush decides to go on vacation so he can fish with Daddy and make campaign commercials.

And people complain about Clinton. I mean, when he needed a break, he just took ten minutes out for a quick blow job. And, half the time, he didn't even stop working during it. If that's worth an impeachment, shouldn't Bush be in jail, or something?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Aparantly slacking off is acceptable but a little extramarital head is wrong.

I was pissed at Clinton over it myself: he's the fucking President and he couldnt find a better looking woman to blow him?!?
He should've been nailing the Playmate of the Year, for fuck's sake!

...then again, Bill's taste in women is pretty bad.
Go look at what Hillary looked like when they got married: stop a clock ugly.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's some trenchant commentary for ya.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Since when has the UN wanted any part of this mess?"

Since Bush began his WMD crusade.

"Sure, they want to oversee the elections, the contracts for rebuilding and the oil flow, but I sure havent seen them leap to provide military or even police-enforcment support."

Well, if one of your members were poised to do something that went against your charter and then scoffed you in front of the whole world for not subserviently falling in line, would YOU be leaping to provide support?

"It really seems that since we snubbed the UN and invaded anyway, they now want to wash their tenticles of the whole business."

THEIR "tentacles" are still clean.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Suure they are: "clean" is not stopping fighting or aiding in rebuilding untill everything is nice and safe.
Then they'll demand "equal participation".

I'm not condoning any of the US's actions but if the UN was half as moral as they claim, NOW s the time to step in and lend aid to stop the fighting and restore order as soon as possible.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps