Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » My opinions, five years later (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: My opinions, five years later
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If I think that burning witches is fun, should I become a Jew?
If you are already circumsised then perhaps it is for you, if not then I would really put some thought into this.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I find myself in the odd position of defending Omega here. The guy has just posted a rather incredible (more so in the shift of his political opinions) update on his political thought, and yet we're still finding stuff to bash him on. Ok, ok, so he's still a scary religious guy ... he's from the Bible belt. Let's cut him some slack here. Let's take a step back, compare THIS Omega to Omega four years ago, and not harp on him about every tiny little thing.

I mean, what, do we want everyone here to be a cookie cutter image of ourselves?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
No. Yahweh, in his heart, really thinks witchcraft, pre-marital-, extra-marital-, and homo-sexual activity are Bad Things. He told the Jews to stone or burn people involved in such activities, which is how we know he considers those activities Bad. We learn from Christ that stoning and burning, however, are not the integral and universally necessary response to their being Bad. See the woman caught in adultery. "I don't condemn you either. Go! From now on don't sin." He didn't deny that she had sinned, but he forgave her and sent her on her way to do what she would from that point with what she'd learned.

Yeah, but when did he catch a witch and say "Allright, knock it off lady! I'm giving you one more chance..."
It seems that the Christian's of Salem were missing that page from their bibles.

Really, the diffrences are a result of the catholic church needing to distinguish itself as seperate from Judiasm (the jews not being the most popular bunch) and, alwys being hungry for more converts and the money and power they bring, loosened or eliminated the rules on many things that would make people think twice about joining.

As example, you wont get many pig farmers to convert to a religion that wont allow you to eat the animal that is both your livlihood and food source.

Explaining the whole "circumcision" thing to those not familliar with the practice would be tricky as well... [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Y'know, I find myself in the odd position of defending Omega here. The guy has just posted a rather incredible (more so in the shift of his political opinions) update on his political thought, and yet we're still finding stuff to bash him on. Ok, ok, so he's still a scary religious guy ... he's from the Bible belt. Let's cut him some slack here. Let's take a step back, compare THIS Omega to Omega four years ago, and not harp on him about every tiny little thing.

I mean, what, do we want everyone here to be a cookie cutter image of ourselves?

Yeah, you're right....we're only debating the obvious religous aspects of his doctrine.
You'll note that we generally applaud his stand on gun control and most of the other issues.

Basing your objection to gay marriage on a religous system that many don't subscribe to is going to incte some degree of debate here at Flare. [Wink]

I like Omega (just as a friend, sorry).
His views are well articualted and thought out, allthough often lightyears away from my own.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
No. Yahweh, in his heart, really thinks witchcraft, pre-marital-, extra-marital-, and homo-sexual activity are Bad Things.

Wait....you DARE to presume to know the heart of Yahweh!?!

HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!!
OH! NOW I see why Christians don't do that anymore...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't you just make one post with all that?

--------------------
Meh

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then it might look like he was blathering on incoherrently. Oh. [Smile]

Bravo, Omega, for so brashly stating your beliefs. Here's hoping you will allow yourself a chance to make some revisions as you garner new wisdom.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I mean, what, do we want everyone here to be a cookie cutter image of ourselves?"

Of course not. Then whom would we bash about every little thing?

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, no, the fastest road would require little experience at all, just listening to people around you would be much faster. So long as you keep in mind, of course, that they COULD be wrong.
I don't know about you, but for me wisdom is more an internal state than it is doing the "right" thing. Everybody would be wise if they would just listen. Yet, people don't. If they did listen and internalize it, it's probably because they are already wise about that particular event. If they didn't have the wisdom already, you can tell because 1) they won't listen or 2) you have to remind them every time the event happens. And then, what do you do when there is no right answer? Like, "should I tell her how I feel even though it might ruin our friendship?" or "should I take him back even though he screwed up?"

quote:
Not so sure about teaching moral values in a school, to tell you the truth, parents would do a better job of that, and you'd have a question of what values to teach. But then, parents frequently DON'T do that job.
Sure, you could call honesty, responsibility, and love moral values, but they're values that everybody tend to subscribe to, if not practice. Very few parents, of any religious following or lack thereof, will say they don't want their kids to be honest and responsible. Even then, you can still allow parents to opt out if they wanted to.

Not only do some parents not actively teach values (honesty for example), when they do the lesson is often undermined by the poor examples they themselves are. As we all know, actions speak louder than words.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Then whom would we bash about every little thing?
First of Two. Duh.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of who? *looks around* Hm?

Grokca: "If you are already circumsised then perhaps it is for you, if not then I would really put some thought into this."

Aw, don't come dragging your penises and Sionist World Orders again, I've just waxed the floor and fed my cat.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I hear he's alive and well and posting on Trek-RPG.net where he whines about us lot being an intellectual latrine and mutual self-admiration society. He'll either re-appear around mid-November if Bush wins, or not at all if Kerry does.

Waxed the floor and fed your cat? Dangerous. The consequences of doing it the other way round. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Oh, I hear he's alive and well and posting on Trek-RPG.net where he whines about us lot being an intellectual latrine and mutual self-admiration society...

Well said, my good sir, very well said. It's when you say things like that when I begin to appreciate just how handsome you really are.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
the floor and fed your cat? Dangerous. The consequences of doing it the other way round. . .

You ever held a hairless cat?
It's a hot water bottle with claws.
Sad, really.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You ever held a hairless cat?"

No, but I have held a hairless pussy... B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps