Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » It appears that God isn't the only one... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: It appears that God isn't the only one...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...who hates fags. So does a simple majority of the population of the state of Missouri. The full election results aren't in yet, but, with a 72.5%-27.5% standing with 2572 of 3992 precints reporting, it looks pretty certain that Missouri is now the first state to adopt an amendment to its constiution defining heterosexual marriages as the only allowable type.

The funny thing is, at least in St. Louis County, the numbers show that definitely over 30% of the Democrats voting were in favor of it. And it passed here with actually a lower margin (61.6%-38.4%) than the state is currently showing, overall.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Election results?

Just based on what you said, wouldn't that be more of a referendum? (And an odd one at that...asking the *majority* whether a *minority* should have rights seems like a really odd system)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today was the Congressional primary in Missouri (along with the primary for state and local offices), and there were also two amendments to the state constitution on the ballot. One of them was:
"Section A. Article 1, Constitution of Missouri, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 33, to read as follows:

"Section 33. That to be valid and recognized in this state, a marriage shall exist only between a man and a woman."

So, I guess that particular issue might not be called an "election", but it was part of a larger election.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. They should have tacked on a rider to that - $30 million of taxpayer money to support the perverted arts. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
....it looks pretty certain that Missouri is now the first state to adopt an amendment to its constiution defining heterosexual marriages as the only allowable type.

But it's still okay for them to marry their first cousins in missouri, right?
The state's population is in no danger of dwindling at least. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not USA > USA
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
&& Tim > USA
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
|| Fat Tim > && Tim
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Syntax error.

According to an article in the paper today, there are already other states with similar constitutional amendments. I guess that when they were calling Missouri the first, they just meant the first of the current round.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, knee-jerk reactionary conservatism as opposed to died-in-the-wool home-spun conservatism then.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I guess. But one of the states that already has it is Hawai'i. What's up with that?
Lee
Member # 393

It provides an easy get-out clause for anyone who's ever gotten drunk and married the first person they saw wearing a grass skirt.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And lets face it, who hasn't done that?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean you don't know?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps