Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Nostradamus vs. Kosovo, Part II (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nostradamus vs. Kosovo, Part II
Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUT -- I can see why people would want to believe it.

And that's fine, just as long as you don't become a fanatic.

------------------
Here we go! Al�, Al�, Al�!
Go, go, go! Al�, Al�, Al�!
Arribe va!! El mundo est� de pie!
Go, Go, Go!! Al�, Al�, Al�!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skepticism! Skepticism! Rah! Rah! Rah!

A belief system which will not stand against even the most shallow scrutiny (as the above has been), is not worth clinging to.

"you can't reason with a skeptic" -- ????

Quite the contrary, that's the ONLY thing you can do. If you fail, it shows the fault in YOUR reason, not theirs.

And of course, since countries are usually considered as having a female gender, especially France, Nostradamus would have been going rather against form referring to his own country as another's "brother."

Er, and Scotland isnt an Isle, either. (Unless they've finally succeeded in assimilating the English...)

**Nostradamus's LOST QUATRAIN**

9-99
When the forum meets in varied nations,
And the flames shall burn the board,
Netted luminaries shall meet,
And make a mock of the man of Cod.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GRR. Why hasn't my status line change taken effect? Charles sent me email about having changed it..

I should be "The Nicest of the Damned" by now!

------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*mumbles something about forgetting to update threads*

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*peeks back in*
There's no such thing as "Really Gone". Heheh.

The First One:
You fail to realize that my mom and me are two different people. She is hard to get info out of!!!!! When people start bringing up STRANGE questions like that, I have to go to my mom. And she's not exactly willing to release info...

First Of Two:
Now how the HELL am I supposed to answer that when I don't have a clue what you're talking about, and my mom's SLEEPING? *ROTFL*

I hope some of you see why I was more willing than usual to merely give up in this argument. And if you don't see why, please, give my above statements a more thorough read.

------------------
listen.to/prophecies/
"Where were you on July 14th?" :)

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, I'm just trying to be a messenger here. My mom's got the facts, but she isn't doing a good job of telling the people I care somewhat about. That duty falls on me. If I manage to convince at least a few people I know that they need to seriously think about finding a safe place to be in the upcoming months, I consider my work done. The rest of you - the tired skeptics who've heard one too many doomsday stories - won't think that maybe one of these stories has any truth. And if things go bad, they will die. Oh well I tried. *LOL*

Now please stop asking me strange questions about Saturn and Brothers and 17th century pirates. I have no clue how to answer you. Sometimes, I may be lucky enough to get a quote from my mom, but other than that, all I can do is speculate. If you don't believe me, fine, I don't care - but you don't need to make a mockery of me in the process.

------------------
listen.to/prophecies/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mocking you or your mother is the last thing I want to do, and if that's how I've come across I apologize. But if you cannot provide any evidence for these prophecies, why should we believe them? And to be honest, resorting to scare tactics doesn't make your position any more defensible.

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*agrees with Sol*

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sighs*

------------------
20 days and counting........
*HUGE EFFING BIGASS GRIN*
"Never underestimate the light side .......... ...... of duct tape."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

All that said, I too have had the feeling that _something_ is going to happen July 14th, for my own reasons, most of which have nothing to do either with logic OR Nostradamus.

There, I said it.
Now, about 50 percent of the time when I feel like something's going to happen, something does, or at least something happens that I become aware of. Like that plane that nose-dived near Pittsburgh.

Is this a valid sample? Course not.
Am I in touch with the universe? I doubt it.
Am I psychic? HA! If so, I'd have won the super 6 PA lottery this weekend, but I didn't.
Still, it's there.

*sigh* this is what comes from having a scientifically inclined frame of mind, and yet believing in "weird shit," as a friend of mine put it. I feel like a living contradiction. What you'd get if Scully and Mulder were merged into one person.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!

July 14 is a wednesday, incidentally. Hump day. Generally considered the day you want your car to have been made on.

*sigh again* It's probably all just crap, and I'm just being paranoid/schizoid again...

------------------

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Mulder and Scully had a kid, which one would it believe?

------------------
PARTURITION

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't July 14 the anniversary of the French Independance or Revolution of something?

I'm sort of responcible for the Nostradamus thing. We were goofing around with magic and opened a temporal gate and he was sort of sucked into our living room. Our mistake was a mispronounciation of a certain word, and well, there he was. He was with us for a week and watched a lot of the Histroy Channel. Then the Temporal Corrections Agency showed up at the doorstep. They're from the future you know. They gave us a citation which our descendants have to pay, but we have to put money in the bank now because its a pretty big fine. And they gave us a stern lecture about playing with magic and fourth-dimentional time cubes, confiscated our Ouji Board, which is made by those heathen witches Parker Bros., and left with Mikey.

------------------
Sector One at last. We are home. Tuvok, arrest the Maquis. Mr. Kim, inform Starfleet Command we have completed our mission.
Capt. Janeway upon reaching Earth.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm the only one here who watches Lee & Herring, I'm not even going to beoth er mentioning Nostrodamus and his horse David Collins. Except there.

Still, this religion is silly.

So, Catholacism then? There's a cast iron religion if ever you wanted one.

------------------
'You want the moon on a stick, don't you?'
-Richard Herring

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

>"Still, this religion is silly."

Which, at least, makes it no worse than most other religions.

One of the advantages of being a Deist is that you don't really HAVE to believe anything beyond "The Universe has a purpose (maybe)." And that purpose may be as trivial as its Cause's amusement.

Magic, hmm. You wouldn't believe the various things my magically inclined friends (that is, those people I know who are "into" magic) say about me:

Apparently, my aura is the color of blacklight (ultraviolet?).
My hands burn like fire whan I'm angry.
I can heal household pets.
I'm immune to magical attacks and defenses.
I'm being tailed by a goblin.
I'm a "weirdness magnet."
I'm a "power conduit/vacuum."
I have a celestial being* somewhere in my family tree (*Angel or Demon; knowing me, I'd bet on Demon)

At least nobody's trying to worship or recruit me yet.

*sigh* Do I know too many wierd people, or what?

------------------

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

When did I use scare tactics? Will someone please tell me what I said that they interpreted as scare tactics?

Ok. I can't provide evidence. You're right. I've noticed that my mom's work influences some, and doesen't influence others. Some skeptics have raised eyebrows, some have asked for more information, and a few even bought her book. For others, it's just another meaningless prophecy of doom to laugh at.....one too many prophecies of doom. And yes, I invite you - even ask - you to laugh at me if nothing happens in the month of July. *L* It will serve as a lesson to me to not believe my crazy mother anymore. But.....if something does happen in July....I'll be the one laughing. Hehehe. And if something happens on July 14th, Jubilee will be the one laughing.......well not quite. But the skeptics sure won't be. *LOL*

Now I'm sorry I came in here and posted about Nostradamus. It's proven to be a big mistake. I left the War In Kosovo thread alone when I first saw it......nooo, didn't wanna go there.....if only I didn't succumb to the urge to post in here now! Rats! *L*

------------------
listen.to/prophecies/

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps