Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Acres Can't Vote (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Acres Can't Vote
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we have a map of the United States, colored by county. Blue voted for John Kerry, red for George W. Bush:

-

There are white splotches from certain counties which had not yet finished counting. Also, Alaska apparently does not tally voting by county, which is why they are white here. In the state-by-state breakdown, Alaska is red.

And now, we have a population density map of the United States:

-

This map is based on 1990 population information, so it could be slightly outdated - but not, I think, by much.

Here are some fun facts:

Alaska has a population of 643,786.

Rhode Island has a population of 1,076,164.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. areas with less than one person per square mile are cool.
Not terribly habitable, but cool nonetheless.

Damn: Dade nad Broward counties are still not finished counting....
I feeel a candal coming on.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wyoming looks... interesting, square... mostly consists of a population of between 1 and 19 people per square mile! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As though getting laid is not tough enough in densly populated areas....
Imagine trying to hook up when the nearest woman is miles and miles away.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But.. this still means that more than half the Americans voted for the Christian fundamentalists, right?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
As though getting laid is not tough enough in densly populated areas....
Imagine trying to hook up when the nearest woman is miles and miles away.

Well no wonder Zephram Cochrane from Montana (aka Alpha Centauri) [Wink] invented warp-drive - he had no other 'hobbies' [Wink]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Do you also have a map with the percentage population in each county that actually VOTED?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And one with people that wanted to vote but couldn't?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The maps really make me think that David Brooks was onto something.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occasionally think David Brooks is on something too....

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"On something," Jay, or "onto something"?

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, anyone know what the deal is with south-western Texas?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
barren wasteland

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Futurama Guy said, Mucus. The Chihuahuan Desert overlaps a bit into southwestern Texas, plus Big Bend National Park takes up a good chunk of area in the S-curve along the Rio Grande. It's a pretty arid area, but things supposedly get greener and more fertile as you get closer to the mouth of the Rio Grande (I wouldn't know, the closest to the mouth I've been is Laredo).

And, on edit, it just occurred to me that Mucus might be speaking about the lake of blue in an otherwise red state. The southern parts of Texas near the Rio Grande are heavily hispanic. With the exception of two congressional districts, the border area is represented by hispanic Democrats (Ortiz, Hinojosa, Cuellar, and Reyes). The two exceptions are Doggett (a white Democrat) and Bonilla (a hispanic Republican).

Interesting sidenote about Doggett: his district used to be the capital city of Austin. Doggett was one of the Democrats that DeLay's redistricting plan targetted, so Doggett's district was redrawn as spanning from the border all the way up a quarter of Austin. The hopes were that a hispanic Democrat would challenge and defeat Doggett in the primaries. A similar scheme worked by redrawing the district of Chris Bell (a white Democrat) to include a much larger black population. A black Democratic challenger defeated Bell in primaries. Fun stuff, Texas politics.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Do you also have a map with the percentage population in each county that actually VOTED?"

St. Louis County, Missouri had an 80% turnout and Kerry won 54-45. So don't blame us.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps