Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Acres Can't Vote (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Acres Can't Vote
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
But I read that a computer error in a part of Ohio got Bush 4200 votes where he actually should've gotten 200-something, and Kerry got 400-something and should've won.

I read that an alien ship crashed outside Roswell New Mexico... [Wink]

Believe it when you see proof.
This was not that close of an election.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: I don�t really think of Drudge as a �fair and balanced� news source, but he�s had the scoops faster than many others before. I know he broke Princess Diana�s death before anyone. He also was the one that got Linda Tripp the attention she needed to blow that whole episode wide open. It�s not an evaluative opinion of the site, I just find it extremely useful.

Sol: I�m a little tired of �pundit� in the titles too. But you won�t share your Amy Acker source with us? [Smile]

Salth�na: I heard something yesterday that Bush�s lead went up to 52% once they started counting absentees. They didn�t mention how much Kerry�s lead dropped. (You never know how many people voted Nader�.)

Jay: regarding being mugged by reality, I�ll give you a block quote that might explain it:

quote:
In Irving Kristol�s famous definition, a neoconservative is �a liberal who has been mugged by reality.� This is to say, certain stubborn facts about the world did violence to the optimistic aspirations of postwar political liberalism. This point is important for two reasons: First, it places the here and now front and center. Upon the (in principle) universal aspirations of liberalism and upon the current goals of liberal public policy, reality impinges, sometimes decisively. The getting from here to there is not a matter simply of will or declaration; rather, it entails resistance of a kind both foreseeable and unforeseeable. A policy that purports to compel a certain behavior en route to a certain outcome may or may not so compel the behavior and achieve the desired outcome. And in accordance with the law of unintended consequences, the most consequential outcomes may be far different from those the policymakers sought. A jobs training program (to pick one policy area out of multitudes discussed, especially in the pages of the Public Interest) does not necessarily result in (1) an individual trained to do a job and further (2) employment for the individual trained.

The essay from which I took this here. I won�t encourage you to read it because I, frankly, thought it got boring and I�ve read most of it elsewhere in snippet articles. But, along with this article you can find one stop shopping for all your neoconservative philosophy needs. (If I were recommending one or the other, read the second.)
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, it's driving me nuts just trying to understand that paragraph. Here's a definition from Wikipedia (click on "Neoconservativism (United States)"), although from this entry the only thing that's definite about neoconservatives is that it's used for academic name-calling.

--------------------
life creation in progress

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But I read that a computer error in a part of Ohio got Bush 4200 votes where he actually should've gotten 200-something, and Kerry got 400-something and should've won."

Yes, apparently Bush got a four-digit number of votes in a county where the total number of votes was only three digits. So maybe Kerry should have won that county. But since Bush's lead in the state was six digits, that one error wouldn't be enough to change the final outcome.

The question, though, is how many other errors of this sort were there...

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora: thanks. Much better than my example.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was posted to fark earlier today. Thought-provokey. Yes.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much so.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
((And everywhere else.))

I kid because I love!

(Re: Amy Acker and other unspeakable nerdlike things: A Google search for Joss Whedon yields a useful, if incredibly nerdy, weblog as its first return. Well, useful for certain values of useful. Like, James Marsters is totally a guest star on The Mountain only we're not allowed to like that show because it is on in Angel's former timeslot oh my god! Anyway, that sort of thing.)

And since it occurs to me that I've been a little more. . .enthusiastic than usual, some actual links related to the alleged topic:

For instance, more vote-mapping than one might be ready for here.

Though anything that elicits a comment like "You know about van Kreveld and Speckmann's recent paper on rectangular cartograms, right?" is way over my head. I guess the bulges indicate population.

David Sands
Member # 132

Plenty of free that went red: OH, IA, ID, IN, WV and parts of ND and SD.

And some slave that went blue: DE and MD

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also this page.
David Sands
Member # 132

Sol: here's another that's interesting.

http://www.esri.com/industries/elections/graphics/results2004_lg.jpg

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't invade another country to bring the people democracy.

Germany and Japan would like to have a word with you.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming David's linked image is trying to do the same thing as Simon's linked page, to correlate electoral results with population density?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

David Sands
Member # 132

Yeah, that's what it's supposed to do. I thought it was a little easier on the eyes than red vs. magenta vs. indigo vs. purple vs. violet.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I for one am eagerly anticipating the construction of the Chicago Beanstalk.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps