Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Acres Can't Vote (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Acres Can't Vote
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
"On something," Jay, or "onto something"?

Come now, you shouldn't need to have that bit of overt sarcasm explained. [Wink]

But based on what Mr. Brooks wrote in that article...I'm sticking with on.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

And, on edit, it just occurred to me that Mucus might be speaking about the lake of blue in an otherwise red state....

Thanks, thats precisely what I was wondering about.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that article is interesting... thought provoking - lacking in any concrete evidence/substance (but what editorials are?), I wouldn't dismiss his idea out of hand. It is afterall his opinion. Maybe though that is the problem with the media - too much 'opinion', less and less fact?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay: I couldn't tell if you had inadvertantly left out two letters. Sorry.

Andrew: that's why I've largely stopped reading the editorial pages of newspapers. Too little space for ideas too big. Never room for evidence. Give me NRO, TNR, TAP, Slate, TechCentralStation, or Volokh anyday. They're not so confined by imposed brevity.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he is an opinion writer for the New York Times.

So, yes, it is his opinion.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Here�s what the article boils down to:

Mr. Bush --> Rugged Individualism --> Cowboyism --> Good
Mr. Kerry --> International Cooperationism --> Pansyism --> Bad

And I'd like the augment David's readings:

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, I think you're being a little unfair to him. Brooks would qualify as the type of conservative Irving Kristol said are neoconservatives (liberals who got mugged by reality), even if there's a small rightward tilt in that he explains the Right with a slightly higher degree of eloquence. E.g., the "law enforcement problem" of stopping Islamofascists. But speaking as someone with more Democratic friends around the country than Republican ones, his description wasn't too far off the mark of how many of them have explained themselves to me.

If we're going to turn this string into a "sponsored by" ad, here are the blogs I frequent beyond The Volokh Conspiracy: Professor Bainbridge, Mirror of Justice, AnalPhilosopher, The Right Coast, Scrappleface, Marginal Revolution, InstaPundit, Legal Theory Blog, and Powerline. I don't think of it as a blog (more a paleo-blog), but have to give props to Drudge. It's a law-heavy lineup, I know, but, it is my trade now.

If anyone else wants to chime in with their picks, I'd love to see what everyone else is reading.

[ November 06, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: David Sands ]

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blogroll ...

-!-, My Left Brain, 11-D, Instapundit, Andrew Sullivan, New Donkey, and more. Most of 'em can be found on my own site.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't think of it as a blog (more a paleo-blog), but have to give props to Drudge."

You, sir, just disqualified yourself from life.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to kick every person with a weblog with the word "pundit" in the title.

Weblogs I like that are cooler than weblogs you like:
Boing Boing
Arts & Letters Daily (It feels a little right-wing from time to time, or at least I get a weird vibe off it every now and then, but your PunditPundit ain't got no links to essays about Faulkner.)
Beyond the Beyond by Bruce Sterling!
WorldChanging (for futuristic green thinking that is TECHED UP TO THE HILT)
Metafilter (Unlike A&L Daily links are posted by a community of users, so there is plenty of fun weird political vibes for all. But, I mean, who doesn't already visit Metafilter? Cavemen? Victorian gentlemen-explorers trapped in the Hollow Earth? ((PEOPLE NOT IN THE KNOW IS WHAT I AM GENTLY INSINUATING)))

I won't mention the weblog I get my Firefly news from, and updates on what the dreamy Amy Acker is up to, because, OH MAN, embarrassing.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I heard, Bush still had the advantage of popular vote across the board.

So quit your whining. I may hate the guy, but Bush won fair and square this time around. Kerry, in my opinion, didn't add up at all.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

David, I�m not being at all unfair to Mr. Brooks.

Mr. Brooks wrote:

quote:
When Bush talks about the world he hopes to create, he talks first about spreading freedom. What he's really talking about is a decentralized world. Individuals would be free to live as they chose, in their own nations, carving out their own destinies.
That is not what's going on in Iraq.

You don't invade another country to bring the people democracy.

And if you should invade another country on the claim of bringing them democracy...if you decide to effect a change of their system of government. In doing so, you use forces external to their system. As a result, you loose the right to high-minded ideological claim that the people you invaded are carving out their own destinies.

No matter how much one might say Iyad Allawi or the Iraqis are in charge, American fingerprints are all over the new system. So their new system turns into something of a version of our system; a version of our democracy; a version of our free-market ideology. These are concepts which one may strongly believe in, and argue for passionately, but that doesn't make the concepts or ideals theirs.

And in an age of terror not connected to the nation-state, international law and police action can and should play an important role in any anti-terror strategy.

You can�t invade everyone.

It�s quite clear that the Bush Doctrine is only for use in Iraq. So we�re not going to invade Iran, or North Korea or Saudi Arabia, or any of the other countries with bad people in charge, with oppressed peoples, or that pose a threat to international peace and security to bring them democracy.

If you can�t invade to bring democracy...then that poo-pooed concept of international cooperation looks better and better.

And I�m unsure what to make of the mugged by reality comment.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt Bush can pull off another long campaign for a war in Iran. But if Sharon decides to bomb some nuclear installations, I'm sure Bush would be willing to support him.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I read that a computer error in a part of Ohio got Bush 4200 votes where he actually should've gotten 200-something, and Kerry got 400-something and should've won.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That also still means that over half the population voted for Bush. Which is more astonishing than ANY computer error.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps