Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Next Pope selected (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Next Pope selected
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave's not being snitty. Don't get on him.

Unquestioning faith is not scriptural either. Faith is an "assured expectation". It's based on knowledge and reasoning, not on someone saying "this is the way it is, now don't think about it."

That said, a belief is a belief precisely because you are convinced of its truthfulness. Holding onto beliefs that are based on something good even though they're not popular is not a bad thing.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
On the surface, I agree with what he's saying about the maintaining of adherence to beliefs despite the fact that society's views change. Simply because an idea is no longer popular doesn't mean it's bad. It all depends on where the idea originated and how badly it's been perverted.

In the case of leviticus, it's the original ideas that's badly perverted. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: eloquently put.

What I'm reading in an "absolute" faith is one not grounded in rational deliberation. Sadly, this is not an area I'm not yet well read enough in to speak very intelligently. (Will be soon, though, as soon as I can finish getting a grasp on Lincoln.) However, one of the few pieces I've read is a very good article by Robert P. George on how faith can be defended on the basis of reason (not merely revelation). I'd recommend it to anyone.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like we're in trouble with the German press:

quote:
Your headlines stink of the devil, Fleet Street told
By Kate Connolly
(Filed: 22/04/2005)

Germany's newspapers rounded on their British counterparts yesterday, accusing Fleet Street of slurring the new pope simply because he is German.

"Hitler Youth - English insult German Pope", complained Bild, the country's best-selling tabloid, upset at British papers' sensationalised excitement at Pope Benedict XVI's past membership of the Nazi-era organisation. "The world is celebrating the new Pope - while the English bitch!" Bild protested.

The paper singled out for special opprobrium the Sun for its headline "From Hitler Youth to Papa Ratzi", and the Daily Mirror for its jibe at the "Panzer Cardinal".

One Bild commentator even suggested that British editors had let the devil "slip into the newsroom".

Addressing the Sun and the Daily Mirror Franz Josef Wagner wrote that the day after the pope's appointment readers of British tabloids "must have thought Hitler had been elected Pope".

"Your headlines stink of the devil, of sulphur and rotten eggs," he raged.

"Obviously, you complex English consider every Kraut to be a Nazi, even if he's Pope".

The Berlin tabloid BZ argued that even the Arab world had given the German pope a better reception than the British.

It turned for an explanation for the "envy and poison" to Professor Manfred Pfister, an expert on Britain at Berlin's Free University. He argued that the new pope embodied two of Britain's great hates: Germans and Catholics.

"Lots of the media still equate the Germans with belligerent fascists," the academic said.

"Then there's the Catholic church, the hate towards which is so great that every year on November 5 the British burn the effigy of a Catholic would-be assassin."

The weekly Spiegel accused the British press of showing "stunning meanness and unabashed mockery" at a time when a recession-hit and usually staid Germany was celebrating the election of the new pope so enthusiastically that even the markets rallied.

Pope Benedict XVI has never denied that he was a member of the Hitler Youth, stating that like all German boys apart from Jews and those with disabilities he was forced to join it, in his case at the age of 14.

Die Welt reminded the British press that the young Joseph Ratzinger was born to parents who suffered because of their anti-Nazi principles.

In 1937, the newspaper wrote, his policeman father decided to resign from his job because he did not want to serve under the Nazis and "accepted that the family would face financial difficulties as a result".

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I somehow feel a Fawlty Towers joke coming up...

Don't mention the War!

[Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumor has it that Benny 16 is being referred to as the "German Shepherd"

Now that's pretty clever.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Win!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, except that it's "God's Rottweiler" by about seven to one.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps