Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Next Pope selected (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Next Pope selected
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: didn't mean for that to be taken as hostile if it appeared so. Sorry if it came across wrong.

We'll hear lots more about this. Well, actually, we already are!

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...street cred for fighting radical materialistic secularism, militant relativism..."

You throw the words "radical" and "militant" around like you want to say something about secularism and relativism, but I don't see much substance of non-creepy-fundamentalist tone behind them, counsel.

Also, the last person to seriously refer to the Soviet Union as "the evil empire" died a while back.

Simon, we're headed for a fall.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think we're heading towards a wave of social conservatism as the world comes to realize that all these ominous-sounding technological developments we hear about in the news have essentially happened already, and the fact that we are living in a world where our historical models no longer apply will, perversely, encourage us to grab hold of those models even more tightly.

That, and the Flameboard. (Not because of the nature of this thread's discourse, but these sorts of grand questions are more its style.)

Or possibly a secret space war.

(It's flattering to think that our concerns are unique, and that our historical models really are broken in ways that prior eras' were not, but I do not pretend to know if this is actually the case, and I am always wary of, like, chronocentrism. At any rate the Catholic Church has weathered fierce storms of technosocial change before.)

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the Renaissance. And at that time, the Catholic Church turned to its more conservative elements and adopted them in a hundred years' period. Sign of the times...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A German Pope!
Sweet: I can only hope Rammstein plays the coronation.

Hmmm...I wonder...mabye we can record the ceremony and dub in the wedding music from Flash Gordon...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah right, Rammstein, the only German rock band that is more popular in the US than in Germany... [Smile]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Sweet: I can only hope Rammstein plays the coronation.

Suuuure. Especially when he said this:

quote:
Thus spoke Darth Ratzinger:
In many forms of religion, music is associated with frenzy and ecstasy. Such music lowers the barriers of individuality and personality, and in it man liberates himself from the burden of consciousness....this type in rock and pop music, whose festivals are an anti-cult with the same tendency...is the complete antithesis of Christian faith in the Redemption. Accordingly, it is only logical that in this area diabolical cults and demonic musics are on the increase today, and their dangerous power of deliberately destroying personality is not yet taken seriously enough...

lennier1
Member # 1309

- posted      Profile for lennier1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darth Ratzinger?
Doesn�t sound too strange. After all he and Palpatine not only think alike but they even look alike!
Proof: http://www.venardhi.com/temp/popatine.jpg

Serious: There have been cavemen with more modern worldview than this guy! He�ll only last a short time but it sure won�t become boring.

--------------------
SFM Instructor

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, he's known as the Panzercardinal. It remains to be seen whether they'll redesign the popemobile to take this into account.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
Aban: didn't mean for that to be taken as hostile if it appeared so. Sorry if it came across wrong.

I didn't take it as hostile. I just wanted to make it clear that it was someone else's opinion. I have little knowledge about the man, and therefore have no opinion. And since I'm not Catholic (and have a hard time having a non-escalating conversation about the Catholic Church in general) I don't have a great deal of interest in the guy specifically. Though I'm interested to see how he will effect larger issues.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman: Didn't have time to go into it very far. Plus, this not being the Flameboard, I didn't want to say something too provocative. But if it helps explain what I wrote (which on second look makes less sense than when I wrote it), this quote from B16's homily as dean of the college gets at what irks him about relativism and the less savory attributes of modernity.
quote:
The little ship bearing the thoughts of many Christians has frequently been shaken by these waves, thrown from one extreme to the other: from Marxism to liberalism, even to libertarianism; from collectivism to radical individualism; from atheism to a vague religious mysticism; from agnosticism to syncretism, and so on. Every day new sects arise, and St. Paul's words concerning the deception of men and the cunning that leads into error come true. Having a clear faith, according to the Creed of the Church, is often labeled as fundamentalism. While relativism, in other words allowing oneself to be "tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine," appears as the only attitude appropriate to modern times, a dictatorship of relativism is being formed, one that recognizes nothing as definitive and that has as its measure only the self and its desires.

This has been on the church's mind now for some time, especially the European cardinals. (To get back to the original context of what I wrote) that's why his election wasn't so out of left field. For the ecumenalists and Catholic Social Thought folks, he came as quite a surprise. But for those who worry about losing JP2's legacy, the failing faith of Europe, and the American sex abuse scandels, he had the exact background they wanted in the man occupying the post.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
this not being the Flameboard
Looks like someone missed a memo. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

David Sands
Member # 132

Yep, noticed that when I went back to the main page.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the surface, I agree with what he's saying about the maintaining of adherence to beliefs despite the fact that society's views change. Simply because an idea is no longer popular doesn't mean it's bad. It all depends on where the idea originated and how badly it's been perverted.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David: so, to summarize, everyone should have an absolute, unquestioning faith, and preferably an absolute Catholic faith, because adopting any other, more balanced, weighted stance is selfish? I'm afraid I don't quite follow the good Panzerpope's reasoning there.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps