Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » God and the Problem of Evil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: God and the Problem of Evil
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've decided to accept another theological bait, lodging the hook firmly in all our mouths...

Okay, the Problem of Evil goes like this:

"The existence of Evil is incompatable with the existence of a all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving, always present benevolent Deity. Yet, evil exists. Therefore, said Deity cannot."

Let me show the basic points: We assume;

1. Evil exists.
2. Evil is incompatible with God.
3. God exists as described above.

The truth of the first is hardly disputable.
The truth of the second is claimed, at least by Christianity, who claim that God and the forces of Evil are engaged in a titanic struggle for Man's souls.
The truth of the third is held to be self-evident, by those same people.

The most common refutation to the above argument is "evil is man's own fault, his sins getting him back." However, this fails to explain evil that predated man, such as Satan and the Serpent. It also fails to cover "acts of God," and other natural disasters.

Another counter is "evil only happens to bad people." This, of course, we know to be untrue. Bad things happen to newborn, christened, baptized infants, and little children.

Another counter is "evil serves some beneficial purpose." (Or the "evil isn't really evil" theory.)This one is hard to counter, except with an incredulous look in the midst of great suffering, and the question "HOW?" This belief is a companion to the "everything happens for a reason" statement, which is basically a poor defense and an excuse for anarchy. As I myself replied to a minister who told be that, *TROD heavily on his foot* "Gee, that must have happened for a reason too..."
Another reaction to this argument is "if evil happens for a reason, why fight against it?"

Now, mostly, this argument, from my point of view anyway, deals with "unnecessary evil," or pointless suffering. That is, suffering from which much will be lost, and little will be gained, if anything. Deaths that have no meaning.

For instance, say you're Superdude. You look down as you're flying over Mega-city, chasing villains, and you see a small child about to be caught in the crossfire of a gang shootout. Now, with your super speed, invisibility, and mighty strength, you could easily zoom down, flick the bullet so that it JUST misses the child, and vanish back up to chase the villains at nearly the exact instant you left. You would never be seen, and absolutely NOONE would know you had ever been involved. Or at least not be able to prove it. You claim, in your role as Superdude, to be an invisible, omnipresent fighter for truth, justice, love, etc, etc, therefore you're obligated to your own press to live up to that.

And you let the kid get shot.

What does that make you?

Well, not a very good superhero, to say the least.

Now, you may say that to save the kid's life would be a violation of the "Free Will" clause in your superhero contract... but how does free will figure in to an accident? It doesn't. Free will only applies to a decision you make on your own. The kid didn't decide she was going to get shot today, it just happened. And it didn't need to. And nothing was gained from it, except her family's suffering and pain, a few blatherings from politicians and clergy who don't actually DO anything about it, and my wrath.
It's worse if you've already shown a willingness to violate the Free Will clause for certain people, causing "miracles," as it were. Why, Superdude, do you deny the rest of us? Even some of your biggest fans? Could it be because you only exist in the pages of your comic book?

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No need for metaphors. Superman faced this very question in a limited series or two. Um...not that I know anything about that.

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, heh... you go, First One!

------------------
...Approaching the big 250...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but Superman really ISN'T omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and so on. And Superman doesn't kill. Superdude's been known to do that, and more.

Unless I've missed some issues, Superman's never deliberately destroyed entire cities and their whole populations, and when people commit crimes in Superman's name, he does everything possible to stop them.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though........ I could see the religious people coming in here with the argument that, "A day to God is 1000 years to us.".... So what does that make a split second, a length of time God would need to make a descision as to save the kid or not in, to us lowly humans? Oh, at least a'couple days. *L* Wait, am I making sense? I need to find a Coke.

------------------
...Approaching the big 250...

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My previous reply that explain everything (include the cure to AIDS, a easy way to solve the worlds hunger, and cheap limitless power source to provide all there worlds power needs where included ) got nuked when I taugh my mom how use e-mail, she didn't know how use anything or even how to double click a mouse, O well back to the topic. Well the best reason that I have that God wouldn't intervent is "Free Will" (O no there's that word again). Well the bullet example is accurate God could do that but he doesn't. Here a question though if God where going to stop the evil where would he do it, when the bullet stuck the child, no that's not evil simply the laws of physics, when the bullet flew thur the air, not evil again laws of physics (btw in the Bible God called everything in creation Good, since the the laws of Physics where created they are good). Ok lets go further, what about when the bullet was fired, no that's just a chemical reaction, when the triger was pulled, no just a mechnical reaction, Ok when the finger pulled the triger, no still just a mechnical reaction. So when did the evil occur, simply when the decision to fire the gun with the intent to harm or kill was made. So if God wanted to stop the evil in that instantase he would have to change the person's mind, so what's wrong with that, FREE WILL, or simply doing that would show that people didn't have Free WILL. So why couldn't God just stop the bullet from hitting the kid, well simply because while the child wouldn't have been harmed, an evil still happened, because the intention was to harm a person. Example just because you don't kill a person does that mean you scott free, hell no, you get changed with attempted murder, so in the same way God to stop the evil at that time would have had to change the person's mind (actually even the thought of murdering someone is evil, so God would have to go back in time to stop the thought before it happened, by cutting out one of the person's choices, God removes the Free Will). Also Just because an action doesn't happen doesn't mean there is no evil. Example, let's say that God came down and stopped all physical violence, no killing, no punching, no boxing . Ok that ends all the evil in the world, right, wrong. Remember word can do just as much evil as actions. Ok lets say God says I will stop all the foul language in the Universe, so God has two options he can either bleep all the language out, or not allow us to think of foul language (I think the bleeping would be funny, it reminds me of what happened Cartmen on the South Park Movie when they implanted the V-Chip, "Shut up Mother$*#&%@, hey what the h*ll is going on here, what the &^%$ is going on, who the &$@$ is doing this ." So is God going to stop all of evil thoughts from happening. Ok lets say God lets us think anything we what but keeps out all other evil, does that make the world and not evil place, no, because our actions are defined by our thoughts, our thoughts can be evil even if our actions are good. Example is doing the right thing for the Wrong reasons. An Example is our Action in Kosovo, which is right to save people from being hurt, but not because they are being hurt, but because it is in Europe. So we would not help a nation in let's say Africa in the same sitution, nope sorry not in Europe, is that good, nope is that evil, yes, however the action of sending troops into Kovoso is good.

Ok natural Distrasters well that falls under the Second rule, which is when the Universe was created God set up rules of how the Universe worked, from there God decided to abide by his own rules (unless something he decides that it is absolutely neccessary to defy them, what reason who that be well a reason that all knowing, power God thinks of). Ok lets say there is baseball game that a person prays to God to stop a ball that is falling foul so it goes fair, this brings up an interesting problem because if the ball starts to go fair then a person on the other team prays that it will go fair, so what is God to do. Simple let the ball fall on it's current course, the same logic can be appiled to wars, games of chance and even flame wars . So simply God doesn't screw with the laws of physics unless he has to.

Finally the logical method First of Two used to "prove" there is no God has one major flaw (can remember the name of the method but here an example of the flaw in action.

I have discoved the secret identity of God, which is Ray Charles.

Let me show the basic points: We assume;

1.) God is love,
2.) Love is blind
3.) Ray Charles is blind
Therefore Ray Charles is God .

The first is commonly assumed by most Christians (well at least that's the ideal . The second is assumed by most people that love is blind. The third is simple to prove Ray Charles is blind.

Finally I has to be hard being God, having all this power and all this love for everyone, but not being able to save everyone, but of course he has one last chance because people can join him in heaven, still he must feel sad every time someone is hurt and he doesn't do anything about it. I would never want to have that kind of responability.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you're pushing this Free Willy thing a bit too far. God could simply "tell" the kid to move away from the area ahead of time, in which case the action depends on the kid and would not violate laws of any kind OR Free Willy.

I'm less concerned with what God actually does than I am with what people think he does. Case in point (I have actually heard something like this more than once): Someone gets cancer or incurable disease. Christian says: "oh, it's not God's fault. It happened for a reason humans cannot comprehend." Or something to that effect. After a while, the same person recovers "miraculously" from disease. Christian says: "It's a miracle from God! Praise the Lord God Almighty!"
If he can get away with all the bad things and get credit for all the good ones, I'd say he HAS to be perfect!

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Yeah, it's like when a plane crashes and one person survives, it's a "miracle" but when a plane lands safely with no problem.. that's just everyday stuff.

White star, you just GOTTA learn to use smaller paragraphs. Or shorter sentences.

Anyway, evil occurs when harm is done. I'm not asking God to stop EVERYTHING that causes pain (that's a slippery-slope argument), just those things that cause needless suffering. Just fatal accidents. Just things that kill children. How hard can it be to find a way around that when you're Omniscient?

I mean, God says He protects His followers, but from all of what I've seen, (like that Tornado that blew through a church in Kansas and killed an elementary-school-aged choir girl) they have to already be dead (in which case their resurrected souls are supposed to be invulnerable anyway, so what's the point?) to be afforded this.

And I still can't see how you can have Free Will in a Universe wherein exists a being who, through omniscience, already knows every decision you're ever going to make, and the outcome. (which is the very DEFINITION of Omniscience = knows EVERYTHING past, present, and future included, unless you want to deny that God is omniscient, or redefine what "omniscient" means.)

Can you surprise an omniscient being? Can someone who KNOWS beyond a shadow of a doubt that something MUST happen be justified in being angry when it does?

On the gripping hand, if everything happens for a reason, why can't we at least be told what that reason is? And why do so many events have to be negative rather than positive? Why can't the bullet MISS "for a reason?"
Why couldn't the car NOT have slid on ice "for a reason?" Why couldn't the bit of metal have bent 5 centimeters to the LEFT instead of the right "for a reason?" I mean, if there was some Greater Reason that I had to watch my Imzadi bleed to death, I'd sure like to know it, because the only lasting change it had on ME was I converted to "No Involved Deity"-ism. That and I'm a much darker person now.

I'd chalk that up as a loss for the Big Guy.

And now I've said too much, and made myself angry again.
Yes, I'm angry. But I'm angry for a lot more than one person who I happen to have known.
I'd rather believe in nothingness than a God who would allow some of the things that happen to happen.
I'd rather believe in nothingness than a God who would let a mother sell her own 3-year-old daughter to two perverts down the street for sex.
I'd rather believe in nothingness than a God who inflicts the SAME daughter with migraines, interstitial cystitis, cervical vertebrae that nearly cause her to lose her arms, and then allows her to be raped while she's in college.

FOR NO GOOD REASON.

If this be treason... I will make the most of it.

If there is a God, I want some concrete answers from Him. Soon. Just so I know whose side to be on when the Last Battle comes.

Now you know why I'm the nicest "of the damned."

*exits ranting mode*
breathe...breathe...
'S okay, I'm all better now. Inner Demon exorcism over. Standing down from Red Alert.

------------------

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited August 19, 1999).]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*goes*
HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me shorter paragraphs or sentences, never, or perhaps I will try.

First of Two said "Can you surprise an omniscient being? Can someone who KNOWS beyond a shadow of a doubt that something MUST happen be justified in being angry when it does?"

Well, no you can't surprise and Omiiscient being, but anger is different story. For example if you have a friend dying of Cancer and after much suffering he dies, well you knew he would die, true and you were already sad. So the day he dies are you not sad, of course you are sad, even though you knew he would die soon. If God created us in his image and likeness then God has emotions as well as logic, so people think God is all logic, he isn't, he more like us than we think, he gets angry, sad, happy, and depressed. So he knows everything, so what, he has all the power in the Universe, but he has limited himself by rules that he will not break (unless he has a good reason).

Also God protects and watchs over all his creatations, humans, birds, etc, etc. Not just his followers. Does he always protect people from physical harm, No.

First I grieve for your lose of your Beloved, but don't blame God, it was his natural system that killed her not God. I know that is absolutely no comfort to you, So I will give a prayer to the soul of your Beloved. I will also pray for you that can forgive God for his actions.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

The analogy falls apart when you realize that I can NOT "know" that my friend MUST die of cancer. (There's always spontaneous remission, successful treatment, etc.) Therefore I am justified in my anger.

Only God can KNOW what MUST happen, due to His omniscience. He knows, by definition, that things CANNOT be any other way. (In other words, an omniscient God KNEW the snake was in Eden, KNEW it would tempt Eve, KNEW she would eat the apple, KNEW she would get Adam to as well, ALL IN ADVANCE!) This, of course, would mean that the punishment afterwards was a sham. That Eden was a set-up.

In a Just universe, Superdude would have looked down.
"Hmm. Snake in the garden. Nasty little bugger. Can't have that, the Tree of Knowledge is tempting enough on its own." *Zaps Snake to cinders*

As for the rest of my post... sorry. Perhaps I let it get WAY too personal.. but dealing with these questions IS a VERY personal thing, don't you think?

It's interesting that you say you hope _I_ can forgive _God._ Sounds like something out of Anne Rice's "Memnoch the Devil:" (The real key to getting into Heaven isn't God being able to forgive you, It's YOU being able to forgive HIM.)

Let's see, thus far I've charged Him with neglect, hypocracy, conspiracy, entrapment, and murder.
Yeah, I'm goin' to Hell.

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

First said "Only God can KNOW what MUST happen, due to His omniscience. He knows, by definition, that things CANNOT be any other way. (In other words, an omniscient God KNEW the snake was in Eden, KNEW it would tempt Eve, KNEW she would eat the apple, KNEW she would get Adam to as well, ALL IN ADVANCE!) This, of course, would mean that the punishment afterwards was a sham. That Eden was a set-up."

The first point is correct God knows everything so he knows how stuff will happen not must happen, there always more than one option. The stuff about Eden is true to. So what's the problem, well Free Will (I have said that a lot) means than God has to let us to decide for ourselves, otherwise we would be mindless drones. Either free Will or mindless drones there really nothing in between. Eden wasn't a set up Eden was when God gave us an option, and Adam and Eve made the wrong choice, if God stopped them, no free will.

First said "In a Just universe, Superdude would have looked down. "Hmm. Snake in the garden. Nasty little bugger. Can't have that, the Tree of Knowledge is tempting enough on its own." *Zaps Snake to cinders*"

Actually in the so called "Just" Universe, Superdude would have never forbidden Adam and Eve to eat the fruit, because without being forbidden there is no sin (however they would still have the knowledge of good and evil). However in the Real Universe God forbid them to eat the fruit, which is actually loving, since he didn't want them to know there was good and bad, to believe there is only good, which is like a parent trying to shield a child from all the bad in the world. Anyway the temptation didn't come from the Snake just the devil itself, the snake is a symbol of the Devil's tempting, it would happened anyway. Sure God could have stopped the Snake from tempting, but like a parent instead holding on to there child the let the child try to walk, knowing they could (and likely will fall). Why because they want there child to grow up. We fell, I know God didn't like that, but after the fall he didn't just waive his hand and make it go away (since he's all powerful he could do that), but he let us grow up to be like adults and he loses some along the way. I really can't defend what God does or does do. What I do know is he has plan for everyone, whether we follow the plan is another story.

Frankly, I have no idea why God does what he does and allows the Universe to happen, I wouldn't what to know why. Now I have my Own problems to worry about which is loving God. I didn't know why I believed, but wasn't really religious and really didn't love anyone. Until I was told in blunt terms that I didn't love myself. The funny thing is it is comply true, I don't love myself or anyone else. O well those are small problems compared to yours First.

First I have one question for you, do you in any way blame yourself for your beloved's death. Before you explode on me, I mean in any way, like saying "I could have done something" or "I could have done more" (or something like that). Think about it for a while and search your heart. If you do blame yourself forgive yourself I am sure the person you loved didn't what you to carry all this pain around. Ok you can explode on me now. Sorry for the dime store psycology, now I going to get flamed now and ever more.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

"The first point is correct God knows everything so he knows how stuff will happen not must happen, there always more than one option. The stuff about Eden is true to. So what's the problem, well Free Will (I have said that a lot) means than God has to let us to decide for ourselves, otherwise we would be mindless drones. Either free Will or mindless drones there really nothing in between. Eden wasn't a set up Eden was when God gave us an option, and Adam and Eve made the wrong choice, if God stopped them, no free will."

You don't see the point. Knowing everything means knowing EVERYTHING. If God exists and is omniscient, he knows not only what will happen, but he knows all the options open to every individual, and knows in advance which ones that individual WILL choose. (in other words, what MUST happen.) This negates free will. The contradiction is unavoidable when you claim something is omniscient. God knew what choices would be made in Eden, and how they would be made. And even who would eat the first bite of "apple," and how it would taste, and how many steps Eve would take before she got to Adam, and exactly what the Serpent would say, and when he'd breathe during his Serpentspeech. ALL of it, if He's Omniscient.

First said "In a Just universe, Superdude would have looked down. "Hmm. Snake in the garden. Nasty little bugger. Can't have that, the Tree of Knowledge is tempting enough on its own." *Zaps Snake to cinders*"
"However in the Real Universe God forbid them to eat the fruit, which is actually loving, since he didn't want them to know there was good and bad, to believe there is only good, which is like a parent trying to shield a child from all the bad in the world."

Which often turns out to do more harm than good. What you're advocating above is, essentially, deception on the part of God.

"Anyway the temptation didn't come from the Snake just the devil itself, the snake is a symbol of the Devil's tempting, it would happened anyway."

Not if the Devil had been destroyed. How hard would that be? *Zaap!* gone.

(Unless you're saying Good can't exist without Evil, in which case Eden couldn't have existed before the Fall... and it also begs the question "How did God, who is all good, exist before the creation of the Devil?")

"Sure God could have stopped the Snake from tempting, but like a parent instead holding on to there child the let the child try to walk, knowing they could (and likely will fall). Why because they want there child to grow up. We fell, I know God didn't like that, but after the fall he didn't just waive his hand and make it go away (since he's all powerful he could do that), but he let us grow up to be like adults and he loses some along the way."

Yes, but what parent spanks the child for falling down? What parent gets ANGRY because his child walked on his own? This analogy falls apart at a touch.

"First I have one question for you, do you in any way blame yourself for your beloved's death. Before you explode on me, I mean in any way, like saying "I could have done something" or "I could have done more" (or something like that). "

Used to, back during the earliest days of the trauma. Not anymore. No real point. Since I am not omnipotent or omniscient, there's no way _I_ could have forseen, prevented, or counteracted what happened. No, I don't blame myself. I don't blame her. I don't blame the ice, and I don't blame the metal.

I blame God for pulling his Londo Mollari impersonation. (this observation will only make sense to those of you who saw the 5th season Babylon 5 episode "The very long night of Londo Mollari." In this episode, I see myself as G'Kar and God as Londo. OR, I would LIKE to see that played out, I should say.)

------------------

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hides behind a big rock*

------------------
"Elevator to hell, going up." - What Dreams May Come

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's something else wrong with this belief: " he didn't want them to know there was good and bad, to believe there is only good."

How can something be "good" without "bad"? Since these two are polar opposites, one cannot be defined without the presence of the other. If someone never knew evil, all the "good" around him/her cannot be called "good" because there's nothing to compare it to. Another example: hot and cold. If temperature was always constant, there can be no comparison of low or high temperatures using "hot" and "cold". Therefore, in order for God to be called "good", evil has to exist.

One side note that has practically nothing to do with this, but I'd just like to mention. Genesis says that both Adam and Eve fell to temptation. BUT, while it took SATAN HIMSELF to tempt Eve, it only took Eve to tempt Adam.

------------------
"I told you. You're dead. This is the afterlife. And I'm God."
--Q to Picard, "Tapestry".

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps