Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » God and the Problem of Evil (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: God and the Problem of Evil
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thus starting the tradition of longstanding: Thinking With The Wrong Head.

Yep! That's God's punishment.

"You think you're so smart? Well now ya gotta take orders from THIS block o' wood! YEAH! Waddaya think o' THAT?!?"

------------------
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Adam's punishment?

"And YOU! You dolt! Now you use that dim bulb of a brain I gave ya! SHEESH! If I'da known THIS would happen I'da taken up trains instead!"

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Tora if you believe the Garden story (not neccesary the timeline for creation, but the intent of the story) then your will notice in the story that this is stated "and it was good" about three or four times, what does that mean simple, it was good or at the start of creation there was no evil. So how does something become evil, simple free will (not that word again) how did the Devil become evil, by turning away from God, how did Adam and Eve lose Paradise, because they rejected God. What evil is, is a corruption of good and God couldn't create evil (I am not saying it's beyond his abilities, it would simply go against his nature) because he is all good.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't turn away from God unless there's another option present. You can't be inherently good (as Angels are supposed to be) and spontaneously "come over to the Dark Side," unless the Dark Side already exists. And for it to exist, _someone_ must have created it. Perhaps God has an evil twin, Bernie?

Once again, if you accept the Theory of Omniscience, God knew Satan was going to go bad from the get-go, and created him that way, so it's His own damned fault. He put the spark and the potential for evil there.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay..... I havn't had alot of time to read all the larger posts in here, but I think I get the general gist of what's going on..... So i'm just going to give MY point of view on good and evil, and then go hide behind the big rock again.

Opposites exist in this world for a reason. There is day, and night; The Moon has it's fullness and then it's darkness; There can be no Order without Chaos; There can be no dark without light, no good without evil. The reason I give for this is the reason of balance. The Universe stays in a constant precarious balance and if one side had all the power, it would unravel everything else. Anyone ever see that movie, Legend?

Anyways, as Tora was saying ... We _CANNOT_ know what light is unless we have also experienced the darkness. We can't know Joy unless we've known Sorrow .... we cannot know our good unless we have looked upon our evil.

Now then.... the definition of Good is "the opposite of evil" and the definition of Evil is "the opposite of good". This puts us in a very tough position.. WHAT is good? and WHAT is evil? ....... I say they are all relative. Every persons good and evil is going to be different ... the trick is knowing within yourself what you feel to be good, and what you feel to be evil.

Is there some huge big bad guy who lives in Hades and draws our souls to "the dark side"? Satan is a christian creation, invented to scare the people they were converting INTO converting. I don't believe in Satan, or the Devil, or any of that nonesense. But that doesn't mean that I don't believe in Evil. For me, it is "the dark side" itself that is the evil in this world.

In my religion, we are taught that the universe was split in half, one half to the God, the other to the Goddess, and that these halves converged together to create the one whole that was "The source" ... something that others would call God. "the source" teaches us to do good for eachother, help eachother, and harm no one with any of our actions. The general rule of the universe states that anything you send out from you comes back threefold as powerful .... I'm sure you've all heard "What goes around comes around".
It is when people get power-hungry and start hurting their fellow planet-dwellers (trees and such included), when these people use the power the source has given them to cause only pain and sorrow and darkness, THEN they become evil. But it is not because the devil made them do it, it is because they were silly enough to be seduced into thinking that they could cause only darkness in this world: and their payment for causing darkness is BECOMING DARKNESS. It is not the actions (as some would call "sins") of these people that alone are to blame. It is simply the thoughts that are to blame, for when they start thinking that they can do whatever they want, and hurt whatever they want, and NOT MAINTAIN BALANCE of the good and evil within them - THAT's what's to blame.

So.... God exists and is Omniscient, and he knows there is evil in this world, and it exists because there has to be a balance between good and evil.

------------------
"Elevator to hell, going up." - What Dreams May Come

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to avoid the theological debate entirely, but I wanted to resist the idea of good/evil dualism being necessary for either to exist.

Good does not need to exist in order for evil to, or vice versa. For one thing, the terms are supplied by an observer. Only the concepts must exist. I can, for instance, think up hundreds of evil thoughts a day and never act on them, never make them a physical reality. And if no one but me knows they ever existed...

------------------
"I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well."
--
Tool

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my humble opinion, Jubilee and Tora are on to something if you all have been reading closely. But allow me to expand on their comments.

Why do we think of Good and Evil as two separate entitites? To take from Taoism, a better method (and more scientifically explainable in metaphors) would be to consider Good as an entity and Evil as the absence of that entity. That would be a better way ot explain the "coexistence" of the two in the world. Consider hot and cold. Cold does not exist. It is merely the absence of heat. In this way, Satan is not defending a specific point, but rather tearing down the other into chaos.

Now, the next leap is to ask why God can't fill the whole world with Good so that nowhere is it absent.

William of Ockham criticizes the seeming lack of action on God's part (especially in regards to Grace) saying God can do anything he wants directly; I, however, believe God freely has decided not to intervene over the will of humans when committing acts that increase the absence of Good. A. J. Benedetto writes, "...out of respect for human freedom God does not, though absolutely speaking and by an extraordinary intervention could, prevent the sin" [Encyclopedia of Catholocism, 4-126].

Not to make light of it all, but I think God is in a self-imposed struggle. He created a universe that he thought was Good, and he wishes to see it resolve itself through his grace and that grace influencing (but not controlling) the universe's mechnisms.

Maybe it's only me, but I think this makes a lot of sense. God could have obliterated Satan and the fallen angles, but he has chosen not to impose his omnipotence. Yes, things get messy down here, but this is God's choice, and one day, if he is truly a being of love, he will make good on his promise and bestow on us the joy that comes with heaven/nirvana/etc.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

This is my first post of substance in this thread. I was struggling to put into words what I believe is the truth of the matter regarding this subject. I still don't have a complete answer, but I think David Sands brings up some good points.

I don't know about any of you, but the inability to choose a course of action does not strike me as a characteristic of a "perfect" creation (perfect idiot, perhaps ). It is quite possible that what we think of as "perfect" is not perfect in God's eyes.

I have more to say on this subject, but haven't chosen the right words yet.

--Baloo

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is ordering your followers to obliterate all human life (men, women, children) in a city (in several cities, actually) an act of "Good" in any way, shape, or form?

Is fragging a guy because he touched your "ark" while attempting to prevent it from harm an act of "good?"

Is sending false and confusing prophecies in order to mislead folks an act of "good?"

Is ANYTHING that happened to Job "Good?"

Is sending bears to devour 42 children because some of them teased your pet prophet an act of "good?"

Could slaying every firstborn son of Egypt REALLY be justified as "good?"

I think we all know who had a hand in the above.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe God and the Devil are partners, good cop-bad cop, both hacking on us and splitting the doe! How do you like them apples?

------------------
-Smooth as an androids butt, eh Data?
-Yes, and remarkably similar in appearance!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is fragging a guy because he touched your "ark" while attempting to prevent it from harm an act of "good?""

The Ark was being carried in a manner other than that dictated by God. You don't do what God says, and he's got every right to fry you to a crisp.

"Is ordering your followers to obliterate all human life (men, women, children) in a city (in several cities, actually) an act of "Good" in any way, shape, or form?"

Again, same answer.

"Is sending false and confusing prophecies in order to mislead folks an act of "good?""

Name one.

"Is ANYTHING that happened to Job "Good?""

Well, let's see. He became a better person, he ditched those guys that called themselves his friends, he got back what he lost several fold, and God taught Satan a lesson.

"Is sending bears to devour 42 children because some of them teased your pet prophet an act of "good?""

Well, it taught the kids a lesson for a minute or two. Again, the country had fallen away from God. He would have been perfectly justified in wiping out the lot of them (well, He'd have to leave a few, as He promised that the Christ would come from their line).

"Could slaying every firstborn son of Egypt REALLY be justified as "good?""

It taught the Egyptians not to mess with the God of Isreal, and got Pharoah to let the Isrealites go.

This is all consistant with free will. You can do whatever you want, but if you don't do what God tells you to, there will be consequences.

------------------
HEAD KNIGHT: We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
KNIGHTS OF NI: Ni! Shh!
HEAD KNIGHT: Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv'.
RANDOM: Ni!

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with those accusations, FirstO2, is that you're not taking into consideration the bit of free will and human error that exists. First of all, not all those things existed spefically because God made them happen. And secondly, there are many points in the Bible that are confusing simply because IT WAS WRITTEN BY HUMANS. The problem with the Bible, as anyone with sense knows, is that it has far too many interpretations. That isn't necessarily God's fault. We are all allowed to have our opinions about the way things are, and when God gave us different personalities, he automatically knew that we aren't all going to agree on things. And either way, that doesn't make god Evil.

------------------
"Elevator to hell, going up." - What Dreams May Come

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, it taught the kids a lesson for a minute or two."

Dead men learn no lessons.

"Again, the country had fallen away from God."

According to your definition, name me one country today that hasn't "fallen away from God." Does God just not care anymore?

"You don't do what God says, and he's got every right to fry you to a crisp."
"He would have been perfectly justified in wiping out the lot of them."

Sounds an awful lot like REVENGE to me.

"This is all consistant with free will. You can do whatever you want, but if you don't do what God tells you to, there will be consequences."

Hold it right there! We've been discussing on the first page that God does not interfere with free will, which is why God let Adam and Eve choose whether or not to eat the apple, which is how they fell from the Garden. But the interference of God in the events that humans *choose* to disobey him is a DIRECT VIOLATION of the Prime Dir--er, Free Will! It's not consistant with Free Will. Far from it.

On another point, I sure noticed a lot of people not doing "what God told them to" in this world. Surely you don't need me to site examples, do you?

------------------
"I told you. You're dead. This is the afterlife. And I'm God."
--Q to Picard, "Tapestry".

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a theological problem that people much wiser than myself have been struggling with for ages. How do you reconcile Jesus' "Suffer the little children to come unto me" to the OT's "Only if they don't call anyone names"?

To my way of thinking, God of the Old Testament was essentially a child. His toy humans misbehave, so he slaughters them all. A city or two doesn't do what he wants, he has them burned to a crisp. A group of people is living where he wants the Israelites to be, so he orders them all killed. In the Old Testament, human life is exceedingly cheap.

To make a crude analogy, this is the same as catching your child writing on the wall and chopping their arm off for it. Even if I had spent the whole day telling my child "Don't write on the wall or you'll be in trouble" I don't think I'd resort to maiming or killing him or her.

What does this all mean? Again, people have been arguing that point for a long long time. The idea that God can do anything God wants is common, as Omega indicates. But this always reminds me of a quote from Richard Nixon during Watergate. "When the President does it, that means it isn't illegal." I reject that concept. Yes, I'm a godless heathen. But I think that there are absolute rights and wrongs in this universe, and they apply to every thinking being in it. Even God.

------------------
"I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well."
--
Tool

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am God. Now quit this silliness and leave Me alone.

Evil is for balance dumbass. You humans think you are so special. Really, you are not. You are machines. Biology is the final evolution of nanotechology. You are merely an experiment I'm conducting.

------------------
"I came upon a wedding, good old families had contribed.
Bethlaham the bride-groom, Babylon the bride.
Great Babylon was naked, ah she stood there trembling for me.
And Bethlaham enflamed us both, like a shy one at some orgy.
And when we fell together, all our flesh was like a veil.
But I had to draw aside to see the serpent eat its tail.
Some women wait for Jesus, and some women wait for Cain.
So I hang upon my alter, and I hoist my axe again.
And I take the one that finds me back to where it all began.
When Jesus was the honeymoon, and Cain was just a man.
And we read from pleasant Bibles, that are bound in blood and skin,
But the wilderness is gathering all its children back again."

excerpt from the song "Last Year's Man"
By Leonard Cohen.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps