Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Creation takes a beating in West Virginia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Creation takes a beating in West Virginia
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of months ago, before the bowling league started, I used to spend part of Thursday night watching the State school board on TV. The meetings were often the best entertainment on TV. I am bowling now, and boy, did I miss a dandy.
http://www.wvgazette.com/news/News/199912175/

I know the minister by reputation, he lives across the hill from me. two years ago, one of the local looneys decided he wanted to be a minister, and started harrassing Randy. Randy took it, and turned the other cheek, for about a year. Then the looney, Mr Short, cornered Randy outside the church one night. Randy kicked his ass.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ah, there's nothing like the smell of burnt Fundies in the morning..." -- Satan

It's about time somebody stood up to these lunatics.

I'd write more, but I have library patrons.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited December 17, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured you would like this one.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*reads article*

*raises an eyebrow* Hmmmm......... I'm not sure what to say on that one... I mean, I support Creation in schools 100% because I think it's wrong to teach one theory and not the others... however... I dunno... some of those people seemed a little TOO bent on their cause....

Anyway..... that's my say for now....

Oh... and a sidenote.... I got an A on my research paper about why Creation should be taught in schools along with Evolution... just wanted to share that with ya

~LOA

------------------
"The battle is raging inside my weary heart
screaming for me to let it all go...
My body is weak and I can't take the struggle anymore...
the love that was here is filled up by anger and rage..." ~FOM

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...okay.

Still, went to a Catholic school, and no-one, not teacher nor student, even made the slightest pretense that creationism was as viable a theory as evolution. Actually, the RE lessons were spend discussing the metaphours, and telling us not to kill people.
My teacher even attempted the tricky 'gay' issue, and no-one got upset. If it comes down to gays or ginger-hiared people, most kids would rather be friends with a gay.

And to resurrect an old point, I notice that the people advocating the teaching of creationism based on the "wrong to teach one theory and not the other" argument aren't also clamoring for the teaching of the other theories that Sol will no doubt name...

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited December 17, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy. Since this is going to ignite into burning flames, I'm just going to post some humor and then run away. Found here.

Two different theories exist concerning the origin of children: the theory of sexual reproduction, and the theory of the stork. Many people believe in the theory of sexual reproduction because they have been taught this theory at school. In reality, however, many of the world's leading scientists are in favour of the theory of the stork. If the theory of sexual reproduction is taught in schools, it must only be taught as a theory and not as the truth. Alternative theories, such as the theory of the stork, must also be taught. Evidence supporting the theory of the
stork includes the following:

1. It is a scientifically established fact that the stork does exist. This can be confirmed by every ornithologist.

2. The alledged human foetal development contains several features that the theory of sexual reproduction is unable to explain.

3. The theory of sexual reproduction implies that a child is approximately nine months old at birth. This is an absurd claim. Everyone knows that a newborn child is newborn.

4. According to the theory of sexual reproduction, children are a result of sexual intercourse. There are, however, several well-documented cases where sexual intercourse has not led to the birth of a child.

5. Statistical studies in the Netherlands have indicated a positive correlation between the birth rate and the number of storks. Both are decreasing.

6. The theory of the stork can be investigated by rigorous scientific methods. The only assumption involved is that children are delivered by the stork.

------------------
"The demon was an idea, the demon is awake. Scratch mark left across the surface of your mind. This hour now upon us, the hour has now arrived."
--
Soul Coughing

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See? Told you.

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited December 17, 1999).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cheers for LOA*

You go, girl!

Sol:

You people just don't listen, do you? I've said it before, and I'll say it once more: there's a huge difference between sexual reproduction and evolution. Sexual reproduction is a documented, observable process (assuming you can find willing participants, that is). Evolution assumes several things happened that there is no evidence for, and can not be reproduced today. On top of that, there are only vague ideas of how these things happened (beginning of life, anyone?). Creation may not be a scientific theory, and it may well be on the level of the story of a stork being involved with babies (you can't proove that storks AREN'T some unknown factor in reproduction, after all), but evolution is definitely no better, and probably considerably worse, since it makes predictions that aren't true.

Do you guys really want me to list all the holes in evolution again? I found a couple more.

Liam:

Other theories? Again, life in its present form either came about due to intelligent design or random chance. What other posibilities are there?

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But that's not what's taught. Creationism isn't saying that "someone created life in it's present form". It's saying that "the Christian god created life as shown in the bible".

How's about Norse myth? I'm sure kids would love to hear how Odin created the world. It contains vioence and probably bad language too.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psst, Omega, what Sol posted was HUMOR...

------------------
"Shoes, yes. Definitely. Shoes."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people just don't listen, do you?

I'd still like to know whose version of creation we should teach. Remember that most myths have the world coming about by chance, due to some action of the gods. Odin and his brothers slew their father, whose corpse became the world we live in. Hardly an aspect of intelligent design. (Though Odin did specifically create night and day.) Or perhaps the one from Japan, where two happy gods discovered they had different parts "down there", decided to plug up the gap between them, and happened to give birth to lots of things. Again, hardly an aspect of intelligent design.

The idea of some overriding intelligent aspect to the creation of the world is common to Judeo-Christian traditions and some others. But it is by no means a universal constant.

Beyond that, I've personally created a number of different scenerios that didn't fit in with your nice little dichotomy. Of course, you ignored them for the most part, or simply glossed over their differences.

------------------
"The demon was an idea, the demon is awake. Scratch mark left across the surface of your mind. This hour now upon us, the hour has now arrived."
--
Soul Coughing

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you people ever give up? Heck, they don't even teach Creationism in Catholic school science classes (not much of a surprise, since in religion class they taught us that Creation is a metaphor and the two Creation stories contradict each other and Genesis was written by 4 different authors). I say keep your faith to yerself. Or else build yourselves some Protestant schools.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shut up about creationism/evolution already!

Let's debate the Stork theory (ST) v.s. the Sexual Intercourse theory (SIT).

Living in New Mexico, I have noticed a definite lack of storks. Does the ST explain how babies manage to arrive in an area with a complete absence of storks or stork-like avians?

Is it possible that babies are delivered by roadrunners or prairie dogs? If so, this might explain the apparent brain damage exhibited by the locals. Such low-slung delivery creatures could not possibly deliver the necessary babies without bumping them along the ground occasionally, creating a risk of head injury/brain damage.

And what about the Cabbage Patch Theory (CPT)? Does it have any supporters in these forums? If so, why are you remaining silent? That smells a lot like a conspiracy to me!

------------------
I once lost my corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days
-W.C. Fields
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your theory of evolution is so great, why the heck can't you let it compete with the theory of creation?

And if your theory of creation is so bleedin wonderful, can't it stand up against the theory of evolution?

Both of you guys think you have the best theory, so put them up against each other and let them compete. Let the children make their own decisions. My Professor always used to prevent us with both sides of the story, Napoleon died vs Napoleon was murdered, Rommel took part in the July 20th putsch vs Rommel was on the periphary, etc. We can't observe the beginning of mankind, can we? It is history. The bleedin amoeba didn't write down an account, and the one that chap up in the heavens did too many of us don't buy. So present the evidence and let the children decide on their own.

------------------
"Oh no, I know a dirty word" - Kurt Cobain
Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what I say, DT.

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps