Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Military Spending (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Military Spending
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what they want you to do, so that you'll enjoy it more.

They reel ya in, and never let go.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America has a massive military for one reason, to protect it's economic interests, which in short are resources. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the fact that America has 5% of the worlds population yet it uses 40% of the worlds resources, obscene.

------------------
"That is the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle into a lions mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel".
- Rimmer

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want it to change, raise an army and conquer the US government.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? Military conflict is the crudest and in many ways least effective method of furthering political goals.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not at all. If you're enemies have been completely eliminated, they're not going to attack you again.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I'm still amazed at how unintuitive the Windows world is and how it tries to mimic the Mac." - John de Lancie

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, then we're going to have to wait for everyone to get a conscious before they all attack the US.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But you DO get better overall education at Catholic schools. Just look at me.

I can explain why it's less to go to Catholic/private schools though. First, it doesn't have to accomodate EVERYBODY; my school (situated on a hill) is rather handicapped unfriendly (not that we lack one of those extra-large stalls). Second, it doesn't have to admit really really bad students, and you can get kicked out for fighting, no matter who started it.

Er, back to the subject. I know Omega's military-happy and all, but the U.S. alone can destroy the world 16 times over. Isn't that just a teeny bit OVERKILL?

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank:

"Not at all. If you're enemies have been completely eliminated, they're not going to attack you again."

True, but Gul Dukat once said that victory does not lie in destroying one's enemies, but in convincing your enemies that they were wrong to oppose you in the first place.

And as for overthrowing the US government, wasn't that what DT was up to?

Ziyal:

"Second, it doesn't have to admit really really bad students, and you can get kicked out for fighting, no matter who started it."

I hope you're not saying those are BAD things. Keeping students that disrupt order does no one any good.

"...the U.S. alone can destroy the world 16 times over. Isn't that just a teeny bit OVERKILL?"

Yeah, just a little. I'd probably want to cut that by about 75%. Four times over is good enough. As long as it's spread out, so as to prevent China from destroying the entire arsenal in one stroke.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora: "Second, it doesn't have to admit really really bad students, and you can get kicked out for fighting, no matter who started it."

Omega: "I hope you're not saying those are BAD things. Keeping students that disrupt order does no one any good."

Obviously. They have no hope of getting a decent education. They're just criminals. There's no point helping them when we can just wash our hands of them.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, if they don't want an education, we can't force it on them.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do have a list of what percentage of the GDP those numbers are.

I will be posting two lists shortly. That, and rankings.

I'm just here to inform, not comment (although will someone else please tackle this idea that Rush and the Repubiclicans have that China is this great power? they couldn't take Taiwan, let alone the US)

(also, will someone please educate the young republican camp as to how idiotic the concept of mutual assured deterence is and how the Cuban Missile Conflict REALLY began, not what we're taught in school and on the news)

------------------
"Here is another word that rhymes with shame" - Kurt Cobain
Blew, Nirvana

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, that's downright nutty.

DT - Education as you well know is taught in such a way as to support the national interest. Not hinder it. This is especially true of the American system, which is excellent in matters of science and maths, but dodgy as hell when it comes to history and politics.

The Cuban Missile crisis, that's a very complicated issue. You can hardly encompass it in one post. If you are referring to the actual missiles then the issue is totally hypocritical on the US end. America had missiles all along the Russia border in Turkey, all the Russians were doing was evening the score by putting missiles on the US border. Big whoop!

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Which part is nutty?

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coffee...it smells like shit.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

All of it =).

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps