Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Military Spending (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Military Spending
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me, I've yet been back to this thread.

Frankly, their army and air force don't matter. I'll still post my analysis when I find my numbers, but it's academic. We are discussing the United States of America. The only non-naval threat it faces is from Mexico (Canada too, but Mexico is a legitimate threat to attack the US when their government collapses). If you can figure out how China would attack the US, please tell me. If you can figure out how the PLA would attack the US, please tell me how. (I'll tell you, the Korean border)

First makes some good points in regards to allies. I'd like to tackle those at another time. I'll however tackle the nuclear issue now.

Who cares? I don't. Why should you? If they fire on the US, the US fires on them. It's just that easy. We're all too dead afterwards to care. So what does it matter what China has? They'll never reach the levels of the US and Russia (and if they did, so what?). As my conservative pal pointed out, there is no way to shoot down ICBMs. So why worry? What we should be doing is working to disarm the US and these other countries. You don't do this by spending MORE! You do this on fostering cooperation. By spitting in the face of these old treaties with the Soviets, the US is ensuring the world becomes more dangerous.

Now, as for those conservative friends of mine...

Taiwan... well, as long as the US supports them, China won't nuke them. China nukes them, US nukes China, good night everyone. This ain't Commander and Conquer or whatever computer game it is you people play. No one is going to use nukes. Ever. Cause if you use them, everyone does. Thus, it's over. The Taiwanese can sleep safely.

------------------
"Never met a wise man, if so it was a woman" - Kurt Cobain
Territorial Pissings, Nirvana

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altough, at this moment, the PLAAF is not quite a match for the USAF, the recent orders for planes like SU-27's and JC-1's, have shown the China is determined to, at the very least, challenge the US, and the USAF.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to break everyone's ethnocentric views, but China is far more concerned with India than they are with the US.

That's why they ordered the Su-27. That's why India ordered the T-90.

But China's procurement of those planes (or rather, their attempted procurement) doesn't bother the rational thinking man. They'd need to put all of those into air wings, which is not likely, as India will buy the same weapons from Russia. Now, unless India is going to join NATO, that's not a threat to America. Moreover, the F-22 is still a marginally superior plane, produced in higher quantities, and with better crews.

The key to everything I said there is "better crews." Anyone remember when that F-14 shot down a MiG-29 over Serbia? If we went straight on planes, that American motherfucker would've been dead (as he deserved for violating Serbian sovereignty). But he wasn't. Because a better trained pilot can beat the better plane. I reccomend you go back and read the tactical theories formulated by the German aces of WWI. They've held true for 80 years. China's pilots get less air time than, say, German pilots.

BTW, I was just perusing the DoD. Who do you think they said is more likely to be a peer? Russia or China?

------------------

DT
Member # 80

Oh man, I thought you said Su-36. It only occured to me after I posted that you said Su-27.

Well, the Sukhoi 27 is inferior to the F-15E and vastly inverior to the F-22. So, even if you believe in the falty notion that planes are more important than pilots, that pretty much ruins your theory about China. Hell, Vietnam has 14 of those, and about 24 more ordered. They're common. (incidentally, Vietnam is quickly become a modern military)

I suggest you double check and see if they're really Su-36s.

------------------

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUT the F-15E is primarily a ground attack aircraft. The Su-27 Flanker (I love the NATO names) is an Air Superiority fighter. So, you cannot compare the two, really.

Granted, the F-22 will be highly superior, if it ever gets off the ground. And once full scale production of the F-18E/F and the JSF[X-32/35] begin, noone will come close to having the air superiority the USAF will.

(DT, I'm really impressed with your research on this particular subject. There's no blatent, biased, uneducated opinons (Well, not many ), but you seem to know what you're talking about.)

------------------
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Member # 239

And, I agree with your comments regarding pilot skill. An awesome, higly skilled pilot in an F-4, could, in reality defeat a mediocre pilot team in an F-15E.

(I know they'e both not really Fighter aircraft, but it was just an example.)

I would imagine, then, if you were to rate air forces by the skill level and the ability to use what they have, that China would be pretty low. So would Russia, due to the lack of training many of the pilots recieve. I think Israel or Britain might be near the top. (Oh, and Canada too! With our 79 F-18's! )

------------------

-Jack Handey

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"American motherfucker would've been dead (as he deserved for violating Serbian sovereignty)"

Ah, now THAT's the state's-rights, 'Sovreignty Uber Alles' DT I remember.

Careful, Omega might agree with you. Then you'll be screwed.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wouldn't say that the PILOT deserved to die. He was just following orders. The guy who GAVE the orders, now that's a different story. Now, who was that again?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's California Uber Alles. Great song.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

DT
Member # 80

Simon: Now that's an obscure song.

First: States rights in the correct sense, not in the connotative. This goes to how one interperts the constitution. Since the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia is a sovereign state (as opposed to Alabama) it is granted rights that an American state should not have.

Omega: Nuremberg.

Ultra: Thank you. But I generally prefer making off-the-wall assessments :-)

Actually, (here you go Simon and Jay) the information was needed in the work I do for the Field Marshal Military Project!!!
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

It's the place to be!

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a joke, DT. Nuremburg came to mind when I posted it, as a matter of fact, but I considered it quite a different type of occurance. Following orders to violate someone's airspace shouldn't carry a death sentance, IMHO. Following orders to help exterminate an entire race of people, though, should. Yugoslavia would have been well within their rights to kill the pilot, but you did say "deserved".

Oh, and in case anyone doesn't know, Nuremburg was where the Nazi war criminals were tried after WW2. There were 22 of them, IIRC. A good number got the death sentance, but one managed to escape execution by getting his hands on some poison (his name escapes me). Their main defense was that they were only following orders. IMHO, IT deserves the title of "Trial of the Century", not that piddling O.J. trial or the impeachment, but considering that nine out of ten people on the street probably haven't even heard of it...

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

DT
Member # 80

Well, that guy was fairly important. I suggest you learn all you can about Herr Hermann Goering.

However, you're drawing a distinction which shouldn't be. Violating airspace, yes. But this was in a war of agression. Under the Nuremberg decisions, that is the worst war crime of all, and supercedes the other crimes of war. Now, we can debate whether the war was just or not. But it was, legally, a war of agression. Thus, by engaging in it, even if only following orders, that pilot deserved to be disciplined through either life in prison or death by hanging.

------------------
"She's just as bored as me." - Kurt Cobain
Polly, Nirvana

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT: Ya know, I've heard the term "War of Agression" for a long time. It suddenly occurrs to me that it must have a specific definition. I'll try to find it, but can anyone tell me when the conventions used in the Nuremberg trials were signed? It will help with the search.

--Baloo

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, straying off the topic a bit! Let me give you that shameless plug: DT and I are constructing a site called the Field Marshal Military Project. It's coming together slowly, but surely.

You'll find it at: http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

And yeah, we're looking for volunteers!

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, I told you.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps