Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Military Spending (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Military Spending
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like how it took so many decades for the people to learn how the CIA was behind the overthrow of the Indoensian and Chilean governments?

------------------
"Don't have a mind" - Kurt Cobain
Breed, Nirvana

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all the Europeans' fault for smucking up the Albanian and Serbian and other borders to create Yugoslavia after WWI in the first place.

"Oi! Let's build a powderkeg of smouldering ethnic resentment, what!"
"Oui, sounds like a good idea to moi."
"Ja, vateffer."

I've decided that we should have kept out of it, let the Euros clean up their own messes. Really.

What? They were appallingly ineffective at it the last couple of times? Oh, well. You can't make an omelette...

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the time that it existed, Yugoslavia worked out quite well, IIRC.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only because it was ruled with an iron fist.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem. Iron-fisted governments are no longer in vogue. "Civilized" people don't really like the idea of a government that suborns the civil rights of its people in the interest of keeping them in line. Never mind the possibility that the people who might be subject to such a government tend to ignore the civil rights of their neighbors. Those who benefit most from such a regime are not the ones who live under it.

It sounds kind of like the concept of prisons. If the people inside are not kept under some sort of effective supervision, the ones to suffer most tend to be the ones they hate on the inside, followed by the ones they hate on the outside.

--Baloo

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Yugoslavia was the country ruled by an iron fist. Not France, the US, Indonesia, Chile, Nicaragua, Batista Cuba, and all the other countries that the US supported.

It reminds me of the old adage. The people in Poland suffered under "communist" rule. The people in Bolivia suffered under "democratic" rule. But no American cared about the Bolivians.

Anyway, the FMMP Forums are back up, so I don't need to continue this conversation any longer :-)

Adios

------------------
Breed, Nirvana

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little off topic but here isa list of sites for those who have intrests in navy and other things.
http://www.warships1.com/ Great site for many classes of ships.

Anyone have any other sites which are of military intrest?
Could someone post any they know of.
WOuld love to know of more.

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged
DT
Member # 80

*couFIELDMARSHALMILITARYPROJECTgh*
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

Complete with forums too

------------------
Breed, Nirvana

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a nasty cough. You should get it checked.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's a compulsive.

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

DT
Member # 80

Well, it seems none of you will get this one, so, here goes.

Michael Jackson, commander of KFOR (the occupational army in Kosovo) was second in command at Bloody Sunday.

You may speculate on the irony at will

------------------
Breed, Nirvana

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it. DT your definition of supreme law as suh is flawed. True NATO should abide by the dicatates of the Security Council, however a law is only an effective control mechanism when it can be enforced. Currently nothing the UN says can be enforced. Nations that are large enough just do what they like, whether they are members of the security council, nato or anything else. Remember, might is right.

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

DT
Member # 80

Exactly. Adolf Hitler proved that. The Jews DESERVED to be exterminated. Hitler and the Nazis had every right to exterminate the Jews from the face of this planet. Why? Because they could. I still don't see why Hitler is considered a monster.

------------------
Breed, Nirvana

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prey your being sarcastic, or at the very least, a little antagonistic.

Explain to me why the Jews deserved to be exterminated, why they didn't deserve rights extended to other human beings.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT is a master of sarcasm, actually.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps