Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 9 true gun stories you WON'T hear on the evening news... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: 9 true gun stories you WON'T hear on the evening news...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: Branford, FL 12/23/99 : Evading a months-long manhunt, Brian Franklin -- whose criminal pursuits included drug manufacturing, car theft and home burglary -- met his demise at the hands of a homeowner intent on self-preservation. Franklin broke into a Mayo, FL home with a handgun by his side, but was momentarily halted when the homeowner's wife locked the inner door. Franklin raised his gun at the woman, which was when her husband leveled a 12-ga shotgun at Franklin's chest and pulled the trigger. The mortally wounded ruffian retreated from the house and expired later in a nearby wood.

2: Knoxville, TN 12/22/99 : Stanley Horn and his wife were at their home one evening when a knife-wielding man forced his way inside and proceeded to tie them up and lead them upstairs. But the hopme invaded apparently didn't do a thorough job on Horn's knots, and he was able to free his hands and shot his tormenter three times, killing him.

3: Charlotte: NC 1/2/00 : Bail bond agency owner Juliet Williams stopped by her ofice early one morning and found Judal Caudle, a career criminal stealing office equipment. When Caudle came at her with a crowbar, Williams fought back, firing once from the handgun for which she had a carry permit and mortally wounding Caudle.

4: Santa Ana, CA 12/24/99 : homeowner Larry Sphar awoke to find his back door kicked in and a hand reaching inside. Four shots rang out, sending glass toward Sphar who retreated to his bedroom, grabbed a .357 Mag. handgun, and fired. The inept home invaders fled.

5: Phoeniz, AZ 12/24/99 : Reynaldo Batista had just given a man and his female companion a ride when the man pulled a gun while the woman relieved Batista of his wallet, watch, and car keys. As Batista and the man became engaged in a struggle, Batista pulled his own Glock handgun and fired twice. The would-be robber, who had a lengthy criminal record including several outstanding felony warrants, died of his wounds.

6: Clinton, NC 12/24/99 : Convenience store owner Ali Odeh suspected something when he saw acustomer enter his store and keep one hand in his pocket. The man approached him, pulled a hammer and demanded "Give me your money!" Odeh promptly upped the man's ante by producing a gun. The fleeing would-be robber was caught by police soon afterward.

7: Miami, FL 12/18/99 : As Garnett Campbell stood in line at his bank's ATM, a man standing at the next machine made a threatening gesture and ordered "Give me all your money." A brief struggle ensued, until Campbell pulled his licensed handgun and fired, mortally wounding his would-be robber.

8: St Petersburg, FL 12/22/99 : 62-year-old widow and grandmother Betty Kulas was awakened by a crashing sound. Arming herself, she went to the living room, and, seeing a man moving through her kitchen, fired, wounding the intruder who was caught later hiding in a field and charged with burglary. The man reportedly later told his mother, "I am so tired of this. I really want to go straight."

9: Knoxville, TN 12/11/99 Attempting to evade police, shooting suspect James M. Smith ducked into Tom Campbell's Glass Company's supply room, where Campbell caught him reaching into his pocket. Campbell drew his .40 cal. pistol, held it against Smith, and held him for police.

4 down, 5 out. Not a bad inning.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you trying to glorify guns here? Wow, guns are so cool, I should get one, and shoot an innocent person I believe is coming to rob my house (when he's just asking for directions to a party).

Uh-uh. I really don't like what you're saying, First.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna: In the example you mention, that was poor judgement on the part of the gun owner. Most people wouldn't react in that manner.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This spontaneous stuff takes a little bit of planning." - John Flansburgh

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you saying?

------------------
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the
obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
George Orwell

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is a warm gun.

~John Lennon

------------------
Let's see... Mesmerists, Dowsers, Luddites, Alienists, Zoroastrians, Alphabetizers... A-ha! Assassins...
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stories First mentioned were mostly a good cleaning of the gene pool. In the case Tanha mentioned, the home owner should have been prosecuted. He shot an innocent kid.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a bit of an over reaction Tahna. Those individuals got what they deserved. Admittidly people sometimes get shot and killed by overly excitable people. While I feel no sympathy for those in the stories above, I think that gun play should be left to the police.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bursts out laughing* The words 'clutching' and 'straws' immediately come to mind.

The point Tahna made was perfectly valid - and it wasn't an unfortunate incident, it was a tragic incident. He was an ordinary person asking for directions and all he got was a bullet for his troubles. All this talk of self defence simply serves to create a trigger happy nation who get itchy trigger fingers every time someone walks up to them or even looks at them the wrong way.

If you want to shoot the villians, shoot them. However don't support a situation where a lapse in judgement can lead to a person's death.

------------------
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, why don't we just kill everyone? Then nobody will ever do anything wrong.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here really know what its like to be helpless? To know the fear that you might die at the hands of a criminal and not be able to do something?
If I ever have my life threatened, I'd like to feel safe with a gun for protection and not have to rely on the mercy of a maniac. :P

I have the right to live, and I'll take measures to ensure that right.

------------------
"If a nail is driven into the wrong place, it would be foolish indeed to become angry with the hammer." - Old Russian Proverb

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the invader have a right to live?

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Everyone has the right to live, but they have to defend that right.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who like guns make me sick. Guns make me sick. I hate it when people hunt. Guns should all be dismantled.

------------------
"Yes. I have seventeen brains! And eleven legs. And a pecan."
-Frank Gerratana, March 3, 2000

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What disturbs me about guns is the "gung-ho, invulnerability mentality" about the owners who use them. And it doesn't matter if you're a law abiding citizen or not. First's post is a prima-facie example of this mindset.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Tec said: "Those individuals got what they deserved."

Kosh said: "The stories First mentioned were mostly a good cleaning of the gene pool."

Whatever happened to shooting someone in the leg .. or shoulder .. or somewhere not fatal ?? I guess that's just not enough .. These guys were going to steal stuff .. so let's end their lives .. BANG .. DEAD!! Thin the gene pool.

DOn't get me wrong .. I'm not saying that these individuals didn't deserve punishement .. But Death? Well.. I dunno .. Maybe I'd wanna kill 'em too.. but if I did.. I'd have to live the rest of my life knowing that I ended someone's life .. and tho' most people will justfy the deed by saying: He deserved it .. I bet you, the people in that list don't really feel very good when they learned they killed someone. Or maybe they do !! Maybe it gave them a sense of satisfaction .. there's a lot of power that goes with taking a life !!

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps