Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 9 true gun stories you WON'T hear on the evening news... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: 9 true gun stories you WON'T hear on the evening news...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that was the rebuttal that my source mentioned, too. However, it's STILL a misrepresentation of the facts by the Canadian Justice Department, and probably politically motivated (gee, they really ARE just like us!)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus, I suggest you take your own advice. Look to the root causes of violence in society, not the tools used in said violence.
http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/c311215.NSF/Australia+Now+-+A+Statistical+Profile/2C2A842ACC44F31DCA2567220072E990
http://www.census.gov/statab/freq/99s0342.txt

If I read these correctly (not easy with the second one), Australia has twice our rates of aggrivated and sexual assault per capita. Interesting...

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just to REALLY annoy the gun-control advocates, (and possibly a few Canadians), More actual factual data, w/sources!

Contrast the city of Chicago, which had tightened its concealed carry law, vs. the state of Florida, which loosened its law. Chicago's action followed a period of several years when the proportion of homicides committed in the city with handguns had been failing, a trend which stopped immediately; theproportion of homicides committed with handguns has increased substantially since. (Wall Street Journal, March 25, 1991) By way of contrast, Florida has experienced a phenomenal 29 percent decrease in its homicide rate since it eased its concealed-carry law (Time, March 27, 1995),

"Each year there are at least 2.5 million defensive uses of guns by crime victims, about four to five times the number of crimes committed with guns." (Kleck and Gertz in Social Pathology, January 1995).

In The New England Journal of Medicine,
November 10, 1989, the authors tried to make a case for gun control as crime control by comparing homicide statistics from Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. But what came to light was that the homicide rate for "Non-Hispanic Caucasians" (about 75 percent of the
population in both cities) was actually lower in Seattle, with all its lack of gun control, than it was in Vancouver. Actually, Vancouver's experience is one of many examples of a gun ban being followed by an increase in the homicide rate. In the seven years following British Columbia's ban, Vancouver's rate went up substantially ("Evaluation of the Canadian Gun Control Legislation." Elisabeth Scarff, Decision Dynamics Corporation).

Like the gum commercial says... "Chew on this!"

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you seriously think that guns are going to solve sexual problems then it may explain a few things

As for those stats, refer to the ratio of deaths via weapons and lethal crimes involving weapons. You'll notice that the US has over 60X the number of weapons related incidents.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who would try and rape a woman with a gun?

Now exactly how do you read this freakin chart when it comes to murders? All I can come up with are a million and a half murders every year, or 1500, both of which seem rediculous in their own way. But since there can't be 1.5 million murders every year over here, I'm going to stick with the 1500 until otherwise noted.

OK, for the record, we have 35% of their murder rates, 57% of their assault rate, 50% of their sexual assault rate, a 55% higher robbery rate, 75% of their motor vehicle theft rate, and around 55% of their rate of entry with the intent to take property. All per capita. And not accounting for the fact that 20% of their population is so isolated from the rest as to make comission of any of these sorts of crimes unworkable.

One also finds it interesting that between '96 and '97, the number of cases of armed robbery in Australia shot up by 50%. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this about when they instituted their strict gun control laws?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

More Data: UK.

While the US has higher murder and rape rates than the UK (and always has, gun bans or no, probably for ill-understood cultural reasons), the gap has lessened considerably between 1981 and 1996. (Langdon and Farrington, "Crime and Justice in the United States and England and Wales, 1981-1996", Bureau of Justice Statistics, 1998), the UK (excluding Scotland, which has a different legal system, and Northern Ireland, a place of conflict which would skew the Uk statistics even more upwards) has 1.4 times the robbery rate, more than twice the assault rate, and nearl double the burglary rate and auto theft rate. (ibid)

In fact, Britian's crime rates were far lower in the period before WWI, when any law-abiding and sane adult could buy a handgun, and get a permit to carryt it concealed. (Colin Greenwood, "Firearms Control: A Study of Firearms Control in England and Wales" 1972.

The May 9, 1999 Times of London carried an amazing article on the failure of British Gun Control, including:
"Last week a 16-year-old boy, a self-confessed gang leader from a housing estate in east London, proudly displayed his 9,, Smith & Wesson... another, 14 years old, opened up his Nike bag to the reporter, showing him two .357 revolvers... a 16-year old delinquent told the reporter he could 'rent' a gun for about 80 pounds. Official statistics show children as young as 12 arrested for possession of loaded guns in public. (Eden Hamzie, "Children of 14 carry guns for 'status'," Sunday Times, May 9, 1999.

A research study done for a Parliamentary inquiry concluded that there were some 3 MILLION guns illegaly held in Britain. In some areas, 1/3 of young criminals (15-25) have acces to guns, and according to the Home Office, armed crime rose 10% from 1997-1998. (John Ungoed-Thomas, "Killings rise as 3m illegal guns flood Britain", Sunday Times, Jan 16, 2000.

And they think they're SAFE???

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

No replies from the opposition?

BWA-HA-HAAAA! FEAR OUR DATA!

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

I'm beginning to appreciate having you as an ally, First.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

That's the thing about being a librarian... and incredibly well-read... access to massively huge amounts of data to support your positions.

Really. Having taken graduate-level courses in database searching, information retreival, and reference works... If it can be found, I can find it.

Or to paraphrase another Forumite...

I AM DATA GOD. FEAR MY WRATH!

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it could be that people tire of arguing with fanatics. *shrug*

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Omega
Member # 91

We'd only be fanatics if you had numbers to back up your claims, and we still refused to conceed the point...

Oh, wait...

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

*laughs*

No, no fanatics here. fanatics don't have hard data. Usually, they just say stuff like "do it for the CHILDREN!" with very ill-defined goals and misty statistics as best, cross-referential quoting, like a Hangun Control Inc. spokesperson quoting a Handgun Control Inc. study. (which reminds me.. Sarah Brady gets paid a couple hundred thousand a year. The NRA president isn't salaried. not that that means anything to anybody.)

the fact of the matter is, none of the 10,000 or more gun-control laws directed at law-abiding citizens in the last 50 years have ever reduced crime and criminal activity. Only those directed towards harsher sentences for those who break the law have had any effect.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm pretty sure I'm right about the fanatics thing.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, I think if I were you, I'd rest my case while there's still a bottle or so left.

-------------
Whoever claims that something is so without facts is a fool. Whoever claims the facts are wrong is a fool's fool.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Hey, notice I never assigned the fanatic label to any specific side? As far as I'm concerned, gun control ranks right up there with the Miracle Whip/Mayonnaise debate. When will people realize that neither are acceptable hamburger toppings?

------------------
--
Camper Van Beethoven

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps