Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The World is Flat. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The World is Flat.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just making a point about the nature of religious belief here. So play along, and you'll get my point. This is a bit of an experiment in social thought, I'd like to see where it leads.

"The World is flat".

Disprove that. I believe it is true, and no amount of science will ever convince me otherwise, because the book of Person X, from Y2K ago says so.

So, go ahead, disprove it.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at the horizon sometime (preferably a distant one ). If the world were flat, you'd be able to see out a lot farther that you can.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This spontaneous stuff takes a little bit of planning." - John Flansburgh

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited March 14, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're wrong. God says the world is flat. Anyway, what you are suggesting I do, is to observe something, then infer something from it. Sounds dangerously close to science.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was just talking to God, and he says that the world is shaped like a noodle. I don't know what kind of noodle, though.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This spontaneous stuff takes a little bit of planning." - John Flansburgh

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I thought God said the world was round...

Look up Isaiah 40:22 sometime. The Hebrew word translated in most versions as "circle" can also be (and is, in others) translated as "orb".

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny.
You spend much effort in reading the bible, yet none reading the original post of this topic. Re-read it again, and maybe you'll understand.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just making a joke, Ultra. My god says the world is round, your god says the world is flat.

Well, my god can beat up your god!

The only thing you can absolutely base any logical deduction on is cogito ergo sum. That's the only thing that you can proove to be true.

And no one say cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, uh, I knew that

And besides, we all know that Round objects are inferior to Flat objects, for when the second coming of my God comes, he'll need a surface to stand on, it's not easy to do that on a ball.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what Daryus is saying that no matter what proof you have, he isn't going to believe it either way. He probably wouldn't believe it even if his God came down and told him otherwise, either.

------------------
"If a nail is driven into the wrong place, it would be foolish indeed to become angry with the hammer." - Old Russian Proverb

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to sound like a completely unsufferable twit, or at least no more so than usual, but you are aware why your statement is untrue, don't you Omega? Heck, you should approve, as Descartes built a foundation for his philosophy on the idea of a unifying force that we all experience equally, ie God.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one belong to the Flat Earth Luddite Milita. We, along with the more famous friends of the Flat Earth Society maintain that what is called "Science" today and "scientists" consist of the same old gang of witch doctors, sorcerers, tellers of tales, the "Priest-Entertainers" for the common people.

"Science" consists of a weird, way-out occult concoction of jibberish theory-theology...unrelated to the real world of facts, technology and inventions, tall buildings and fast cars, airplanes and other Real and Good things in life; technology is not in any way related to the web of idiotic scientific theory.

Moreover, we at F.E.L.M. believe that the "myth" of the round Earth has been foisted on an unknowing public by the United States government. While conspiracy is a word that is bandied about quite often, we feel that the failure of the government to inform the people falls nothing short of such. Furthermore, we also feel that this breach of trust is systemic in the government and causes us to call into question other governmental motivations.

As a result, we at F.E.L.M. are quite fearful of giving the government too much power, or rather we are fearful of the government taking it. We feel that the government has already accumulated too much authority over the daily lives of the common citizen, as seen by it's complete failure to inform the people of the truth of the flat Earth and the cover up of that truth. If they can cover up such a clear truth, then think of what the halls of government must hold, kept out of reach of the people!

Therefore, we are preparing to resist, by armed means if necessary, further government intervention in the daily routines of F.E.L.M. and any further arrogation of power on the part of the government. We have begun to stockpile weapons as a result.

We invite you to join us in our cause!

------------------
Let's see... Mesmerists, Dowsers, Luddites, Alienists, Zoroastrians, Alphabetizers... A-ha! Assassins...
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited March 15, 2000).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus: Take a nice long walk. If you don't come to the edge...

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heretic! The world is a tetrahedron or nothing at all!
Come my countrymen, let us civilise the barbarian hoards of Australia by assailing them with the holy boards-with-nails-in-them!

Stand not in our path, for the great lord Wibble hath blessed by left shoe only the other week, and now none can stand against my supreme armies.

Come men, to arms. We shall prove by our victories over these plebs our superiority in believing the world is a cylinder, er....tetrahedron...whatever.

------------------
Monty: "With every drink of that pint more of his cognitive functions atrophy!!"
Classmate: "Wha? What does that mean?"
Monty: "Which word?"
Classmate: "Any of 'em!"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The world is round!! Like a dime!

And if you go to the edge, you'll flip over to the other side. Like in "Labyrinth"...

Why does no-one see what's the truth except me and Esher...

------------------
The Miranda Class model is not a kitbash, it is a bashkit.

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited March 15, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shadow the Earth casts on the Moon during an eclipse is circular.

A ship appearing over the horizon will appear mast-first, suggesting it is coming up.

The angle of incidence of sunlight at the same time in different locations at the same latitude is different, thus suggesting a curved surface (First proved by Erastothenes, Greek Librarian, some 500 BCE.)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps