Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Right-Wing Conservatism and Christianity: A Fallacy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Right-Wing Conservatism and Christianity: A Fallacy
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: I'm sure Republicans didn't exist in Congress at the time.

I learned about Reagonomics and the Laffer Curve (unfortunate name) in Economics last year. I really don't see why it can't work. When Americans have extra money on their hands, they spend it (thanks to the advertising industry). And when they do, businesses have more money, then there are fewer lay-offs and more people with jobs, who in turn pay taxes. Bringing in Christianity is probably stretching it to manipulate religious politics (what a combination). I don't think the government would get less revenue under Reagonomics, but if they do, so what? They need to spend less on the military anyway.

------------------
"See, for a Republican, a heart is like an appendix. It's nice to have it, but you don't really need it."

--Jay Leno

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First:

Of course I understand economic lag. The economy didn't start getting REALLY good until around '84 or so.

And I would point out that damage can be done a lot faster than a few years. Nixon imposed wage controls, and almost immediately, the entire economy was screwed for the rest of the decade. So I wouldn't say that the prosperity of the 80's was caused by the seventies.

The lag isn't nearly as bad as a decade. I'd say a year. Two, at the outside. And that's for improvements. Recessions come far quicker after tax increases.

Tora:

Whether the Reps were there or not is irrelevant. The Democrats had a majority. And yes, I am aware that the Reps controlled the senate in the early eighties for a couple years, but spending bills originate in the house, AIRC.

And it was proven that the government would get more money under Reganomics. Revenues doubled after a massive tax cut during the eighties.

"They need to spend less on the military anyway."

Do you realize how little is spent on the military already? The military was decimated under Carter. Regan used a VERY small portion of the increased revenue to rebuild it. I'm not sure about what Bush did, but since we fought and defeated what I seem to recall as being the fourth largest military power in the world with minimal causalties, I'd say that the military probably didn't suffer too much. But with Clinton, it's the only area of the government who's budget has been cut in the past seven years. All other departments have been growing. All this supposed downsized government is in the military. I seriously doubt that we could fight a war with, say, China effectively. Our military is in shambles. It needs to be rebuilt. Now.

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*boggles*

As of 1996, the U.S. spent 265.6 billion dollars on defense. Comparible to spending during the Ford administration, I believe. Curiously, defense spending began to drop towards pre-Reagan levels while Bush was in office. (Figures from the Center for Defense Information.)

Just for kicks, let's compare with some other nations. China for instance, spends an estimated 12.6 billion on defense. (With the understanding that the real figure is probably several times higher than that. But 21 times?)

U.K.: 36.7 billion dollars. 2.6% of their GDP.

France: 39.8 billion. 2.5%

Other NATO members have comparible budgets.

India and Pakistan, two nations you might expect to be spending like gangbusters, spend 10 billion and 2.48 billion, respectively. Israel, of all places, only spends 8.7 billion. (Though that does account for 9.5% of their GDP, one of the highest percentages I could find.)

So I am exceedingly curious to know, who exactly are we supposed to be outspended by? The Lemurians?

Are we not purchasing F-22's at a fast enough rate to satisfy you? Does the carrier fleet lack sufficient oomph?

Now then, if you want to address a real issue, like the distressingly paltry sums we pay our soldiers, you might have a leg to stand on. But spending overall? Please.

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As of 1996, the U.S. spent 265.6 billion dollars on defense."

An article I read two years ago said it went up to 300 billion. AND I believe I mentioned a while ago that the US can destroy the world about 16 times over (probably more now).

------------------
"See, for a Republican, a heart is like an appendix. It's nice to have it, but you don't really need it."

--Jay Leno

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited July 28, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the ability of a military isn't determined just by destructive power...there's also the quality of the officers and soldiers, quality of the equipment, response time, strategies, etc.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"However, trying to convince your friends to learn a language is about as easy to do as getting a date with the pickup line 'Have you been to Weight Watchers?'" - How To Invent A Real Language

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: I didn't MEAN you. I was AGREEING with you.

The purpose of the military is to destroy the enemy and come home alive. I forget who said that.

We spend a great deal of money for many reasons:

Because, unfortunately, our best companies seem to keep merging. Prices go up. Forget Microsoft, what about McDonnell-Douglas?

Because we're R&D'ing products that will be state-of-the art for the next 20 years (Hey, we started work on the SR-71 around the time that U-2 got shot down.)

Because we continue to fulfil our role as the 'world's policeman,' while being caught in the paradox of dealing with people who hate us when we're around, but want us there immediately when they're in trouble.

Because our Army is full-time and volunteer, and because we promise college tuition to our recruits.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, sorry.

Someone also said that the army's job is, quite simply, to kill people and break things.

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the R&D thing, exactly how well liked is the F-22? Is it a case of "it's like liquid sex", or more a case of "it's like sex in Liam's car. With an ugly person"?

And wasn't the F-16 outperformed by the Russian Mig-29? Although that was back when they still has a military...

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't any debate on Day's Flat tax policy along with the addition of Tax Incentives. I was hoping for some comments.

For those who don't know, Day is proposing a flat tax of 17% across the board. Only the lower class pays this kind of tax. Now, he was once asked if the Tax incentives for the upper class would be maintained. Day replied "Yes they would". Economists calculated that with these tax incentive discounts, the upper class would pay only 12% in income tax while the lower class would pay 17%. So essentially, the Lower class is paying more to finance a tax boon for the upper class. Who thinks this is fair? (I certainly don't. This is the opposite of the Robin Hood Mentality).

As for giving money for well researched Charities, this is essentially a gamble. Tell me how many people who would actually give their extra money to Charity without a second thought? Well, I don't know, and neither does anyone else. Even if they did get some money, would they be able to finance the health/education/housing of the lower class? If they did, it would most likely be "substandard". This is called two-tier politics. Substandard health/education/housing funded by government and charities for the lower class, and the elite and top quality health/education/housing for the upper class. After all, the Upper class can afford it.

As Goar said, a rising tide does not lift all boats. A rising tide is also accompanied by a depression in the water height. So while the upper class boats are being lifted to new heights, the lower class boats are basically sinking.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, its definitely a policy lacking any merit. Or as we'd say over here. "Which dickhead came up with that idea?".

Tahna - well said.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus: Just curious, don't you have an ultra-right powerbitch in opposition in Australia these days?

And Day is a bigot, an idiot and an all 'round negative guy. He makes Manning look like Marx, and probably would make Falwell blush on an issue or two. *sighs* The problem with democracy is that we can't stop assholes like him from running.

------------------
"When I was in prison I was wrapped up in all those deep books. That Tolstoy crap. People shouldn't read that stuff. When we read these books what purpose does it serve in this day and time?"
-Mike Tyson

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They Do. And she's a racist, homophobic, ultra-right powerbitch. And she's very popular to boot.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There goes Australia as a land ruled by sanity.

Are we the only country with really boring leaders? You may disagree with Balir, but I don't recall him ever being called a mad, power-crazed, sexually repressed racist nazy supporting bigot.

He's got a silly smile. And Hauge's got a silly forehead (just to be equal).

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No where in the NT does it say, "make disciples of all nations and create church-states." Christianity was never intended to create a government of any kind. It is a relationship between two people, and you cannot create a government based on a personal relationship between two people (one who died and rose again). I could explain this further, but it would take too long and it makes a good paper also so I'll save the idea.

------------------
If you don't believe in what I say or the God I speak of I guess you'll just have to meet me so the Lord and I can convert you.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that you reject a political interpretation of Christianity doesn't exactly make up for the many nations that haven't.

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps