Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Right-Wing Conservatism and Christianity: A Fallacy (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Right-Wing Conservatism and Christianity: A Fallacy
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not our job to make up for the mistakes of others claiming to espouse our beliefs when they obviously didn't.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. But it IS your job to resist them. Strongly and loudly.

Let me know when you're going to get around to that, okay? I'll come out on the line and stand beside you.
Well, to be more acctrate, you'll be coming out on the line with me, 'cause I can't remember when I last went to an anti-pseudochristian rally with any christians.

Oh, as for how the F-22 is doing.. It must be well-received, if the JSF, patterned on it, is being ordered by both the US Navy and Marines.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited August 02, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do oppose them. *sarcasm* Sorry if I'm not as voiceferous as you'd prefer. */sarcasm*

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I suppose it might be comforting to think that everyone who isn't your particular brand of Christian is a lying fraud, I'm afraid the facts don't seem to agree. Heck, we have a rather large movement of Christians in the United States who adopt a political interpretation of Christianity. Is Ralph Reed just a deceitful hypocrite?

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he's much more than just that.

But he still is that.

Oh, the guy may have good intentions... but as they say, the road to Hell is paved with the stuff.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Member # 91

"I suppose it might be comforting to think that everyone who isn't your particular brand of Christian is a lying fraud"

Did I say this? Did I say anything vaguely resembling this?

If someone doesn't follow the teachings of Christ, then they ain't a Christian, no matter what they call themselves. I'm guessing that most of them are simply misguided, but some are probably just malicious (Farakhan, etc.).

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Did I say this? Did I say anything vaguely resembling this?"

Not in those words, no, but you've said it all along.

"Follow the teachings of Christ?" That's a laugh. If you really did listen to Christ, you'd never say guns buy your freedom. In fact, you'd sooner be killed than pull the trigger yourself. Killing another person is almost like (according to you) believing in evolution, only worse, because Christ didn't tell you not to believe in Evolution. Who was it that said you can't pick and choose what to believe from the Bible? There's only one word for a person who doesn't do what he says.

------------------
"Dreams are the excrement of the mind, feces are the excrement of the body, and laughter is teh excrement of the soul."
--Anonymous Indian guru

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited August 03, 2000).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega

"I suppose it might be comforting to think that everyone who isn't your particular brand of Christian is a lying fraud"
Did I say this? Did I say anything vaguely resembling this?

If someone doesn't follow the teachings of Christ, then they ain't a Christian, no matter what they call themselves. I'm guessing that most of them are simply misguided, but some are probably just malicious (Farakhan, etc.).

I think you just answered your own question, Omega. Let's see now, I was baptized a Catholic, but I hardly go to church anymore. I'm not one to believe in anything like the Ressurection or the miracles of the Holy Spirit. But what I DO believe in is the PARABLES. The teachings Jesus gives to his apostles. The Parable of the Sower, The Parable of the Prodigal Son, The Parable of the Good Samaritan (my favourite).

So let me guess, because I don't follow the entire new testament that means that I'm not a Christian by your own definitions, right? And are your own definitions are binding to the point that because I don't follow every single verse on the NT then I should be consigned to the fires of hell where I should burn baby burn burn burn, huh?

Tora: You're born a Gemini, aren't you?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited August 03, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

"If you really did listen to Christ, you'd never say guns buy your freedom."

I don't believe I've ever said that. All I say is that gun control increases crime, and is therefore a bad idea. There is evil out there. Anyone would be a fool not to defend theirself against it. You know, that "shrewd as snakes" thing.

"In fact, you'd sooner be killed than pull the trigger yourself."

In all honesty, I'd like to think that if it was only my life at stake, I'd rather take the chance on getting shot and try to find another solution. If I'm defending others, though, I couldn't in good conscience risk THEIR lives. I'd have to take the shot when I had the chance.

Tahna:

Do you believe that Jesus is the son of God? That's pretty much the definitive question. And what happens after you die is not my call.

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a short memory or what?

"The second ammendment will never be outdated. It will be needed as long as criminals pose a threat to law-abiding citizens, and as long as the government has the power to take away your freedom. To coin a phrase, it is 'nesecary for the security of a free state.'"

You're saying that guns are necessary for the security of a free state, therefore "guns buy your freedom."

You'd better get used to people paraphrasing your own words against you. You'll get a lot of that in politics.

------------------
"Dreams are the excrement of the mind, feces are the excrement of the body, and laughter is teh excrement of the soul."
--Anonymous Indian guru

Omega
Member # 91

Guns do not buy your freedom. They guarentee it. Large difference.

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

I was using "buy" as a figure of speech. You ever heard of metaphors? They're quite useful and fun.

Tahna: Gemini?? What gave you that idea? I'm a cancer.

------------------
--Anonymous Indian guru

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And not yellow bricks, for some reason...

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

You want a jesus quote?

"I bring not peace, but the sword."

(Of course, it's also well known that 'the Devil can quote scripture to his own ends,' so make of that what you will.)

You know, JC wasn't above being violent when he believed the situation called for it. Ask the money-changers at the Temple.

Hmm, now THERE's a parable... JC attacked the moneychangers, who had come into his father's house (the temple) without permission from the homeowner (God). Therfore, violence against a home invader is biblifcally justifiable.

See, you can use the durn book to say anything you want.

------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

First: Isn't that why you can't use the Bible as a source in formal debates?

Another thing, does this then mean that the Bible is contradictory?

------------------
--Anonymous Indian guru

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps