Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Right-Wing Conservatism and Christianity: A Fallacy (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Right-Wing Conservatism and Christianity: A Fallacy
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"It's really just a revenge thing, Satan is trying to ruin everything God has created. He already introduced sin into the world and He is still trying to make our lives miserable."

And again, what does collecting souls have to do with this? Souls aren't "lives."

Given that Satan was still welcome in God's presence, and they were still having friendly conversations AFTER the Fall of Man, (See: Book of Job) wouldn't that tend to clear Satan of responsibility for that particular Incident?

Doesn't the fact that God clearly grants and allows Satan to carry on his activities in a relatively unobstructed manner suggest some form of collusion?

In fact, before the NT, (or to be more accurate, before the revision and codification of what is NOW the NT by the politically motivated Nicean council) wasn't Satan considered to be a character sort of like a prosecuting attorney, a sort of 'devil's advocate' (pardon the self-referential pun) against man's foibles and shortcomings, rather than some superpowered evildoing BizarroGod?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, simply, Satan wants to hurt God. The only way he can do that is to hurt something/one He cares about. Thus us.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you hurt an omnipotent being?

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omnipotence does not require freedom from pain. Merely the ability to be free from pain if you so choose.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other words, he's also God of Bad Choices.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Member # 91

Can you say "non sequitor"?

If I follow your logic, it's a bad choice to do anything that is not completely selfish.

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I follow that logic, then anything I do that isn't selfish causes me pain.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! This Satan stuff reminds me of a couple of books I received in the mail by mistake. I bought some books from Barnes & Noble online in June. About a week or so later, I received ANOTHER box of books that I didn't order, with my name and address on it. Inside were two copies of a book called "He Came to Set the Captives Free," and the receipt in the box was in someone else's name. The time it was ordered was within a few seconds of my order, which was probably how it got mixed up. Great, you know. Of all the books that could've been sent to me, I got two books that I'd never read!! Oh, but here's the real treat. Right after the table of contents, there's a warning. Here's some of it:

"WARNING!
This will be one of the hardest books you have ever tried to read. SATAN DOES NOT WANT YOU TO READ THIS MATERIAL!

(Short Prayer here)

The purpose of this book is to show you the many ways Satan and his emons are at work in the world today, to show you how you can effectively fight against them, AND how you can be set free from bondage to Satan.

Satan will do everything he can to keep you from reading this. He will afflict you with overwhelming sleepiness, confusion, constant interruptions and many other things. FEAR is one of Satan's major weapons. He will use fear to try to stop you from reading this book. You simply need to rebuke fear directly and out loud in the name of Jesus Christ to overcome it. Also pray and ask for shielding as you read in order to understand this material." And it goes on, but you get the idea.

Is it just me, or is there something skewed about a book that tells you if you don't like it, it's Satan's fault?

Oh, I know, Satan sent it to ME because he knew not only would I not read it, my conscience wouldn't let anyone else read it, either. *Evil Cackle and the sound of scissor blades flexing*

------------------
"Dreams are the excrement of the mind, feces are the excrement of the body, and laughter is teh excrement of the soul."
--Anonymous Indian guru

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh, that's RICH!

"He will afflict you with overwhelming sleepiness, confusion, constant interruptions and many other things."

Translation: "This book is boring, nonsensical, and if you're interrupted while reading this book, as you are during just about any book, we hope you're stupid enough to take special notice of it, since we mentioned it, and attribute it to evil influence rather than just the inevitabilities of life."

These people are LOONIES.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

The author of that book has a MAJOR ego problem.

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

You think that's bad, you should see some of the Fundie stuff that's somehow made it's way onto our shelves... like "Halloween and Satanism" in which the authors use much the same language, and digress to show how everything from Edgar Cayce to Batman to the Texas Longhorns' two-fingered hand sign to the Peace symbol , et cetera ad nauseum, is the work of Satan.

From reading that book, all I got was: If it's true, Satan may be evil, but he sure seems to work harder than God... I mean, the kid's got his fingers into EVERYTHING from Rock Music to Star Trek!

------------------

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited August 12, 2000).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bryce, in what way do you take literature such as Dante's "Inferno" (The Divine Comedy) and "Paradise Lost" Meaning, do you believe them to be literal truth, fiction based on the Bible, fanciful meanderings, etc.?
Also, do you believe in the whole Harrowing of Hell, leading to Purgatory, and Hell being closed till 1000 AD (not a typo) concept?"

I was referring to Scripture, as a protestant that means OT and NT. It's ok for protestants to read the "Duedo" books, but we just don't because of Luther.
The books you mention are not literal truth. As a protestant I don't believe in Purgatory, none of what you mentioned, including the "closing" of Hell. (Never heard of the idea.)

"And again, what does collecting souls have to do with this? Souls aren't "lives.""

Souls are more important than lives, souls last forever. God loves us, Satan causes God pain by corrupting His children.

"Given that Satan was still welcome in God's presence, and they were still having friendly conversations AFTER the Fall of Man, (See: Book of Job) wouldn't that tend to clear Satan of responsibility for that particular Incident?"

Most modern Bible scholars believe Job to be fictious. When looking at the rest of the Bible you do not get the ideas Satan and God did any talking. Again, this goes back to knowing what books are what genre. Most of you don't know how to figure out genres in the books of the Bible. *shakes head at the comment of the Nicean Council*

About the book...

It's probably a descent book. And I agree with what the authors says, but the words are not intented for people who don't want to read the book. Your view of it is the same as if I would try to explain some of the details of the Tribulation to you. Revelation is definitely not the book you want to read first in the Bible. I can testify to times when I read the Bible and my mom interrupts me every minute, the doorbell rings, I suddenly get tired, or the phone rings off the hook for a half hour. He's right and Satan will also try to keep me writing long explanations to you when I should be reading the Bible myself. You all have already heard the Gospel, some of you have chosen to reject it. If you don't have ears for hearing that's not my problem. (And that's Biblical)

Omega: He speaks the truth. It may not be from your doctrinal way of thinking, but it is the truth. The author is probably older than anyone here on the board and has learned a lot more than we have.

------------------

------------------
If you don't believe in what I say or the God I speak of I guess you'll just have to meet me so the Lord and I can convert you.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*Bollocks*uncough*

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited August 12, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To expand on something First said earlier, I recall reading once that Judaism interpreted "Satan" as an office that was held by an angel, whose job it was to point out any flaws in things so that God might fix them.

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps