Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Question for First of Two (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Question for First of Two
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you read the gospel of Peter or whoever it was where Jesus was married, right? Who was he married to and how many kids did he have?

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was the book of Thomas. I believe it said that he supposedly married Mary Magdeline, who according to completely unsupported Catholic lore was the same Mary mentioned as being the sister of Martha and Lazarus, and also the prostitute that washed Jesus' feet with her hair.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See my sig for an excerpt from the Gospel of Thomas

At least, I think that's from it...

------------------
"The kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you; not in a building of stone or wood. Split a piece of wood, and I will be there. Lift a stone, and you will find me."
-The Gospel of Jesus, Stigmata

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited August 11, 2000).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...that's what the game said, too. I was playing Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, blood of the Damned. It explained that the Church wanted to downplay the importance of Mary Magdalene, so they called her a prostitute and claimed all the Mary Magdalene & child statues were actually Mary, mother of Jesus, with black skin. I'll probably look this stuff up though. There's a reading list at the end of the game manual. Now there's a sight to behold.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gabriel Knight games are very, very cool. But creepy.

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you other folks responded.
To be honest, I've read OF the book of Thomas, (and others) from what I consider a reliable source, but I haven't READ it, yet. I have a book called "The Hiram Key" which supposedly goes into more detail, but at the moment it's sitting on my desk with about 30 other books in my "To be read" pile, along with "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," "Civil War Fantastic," "Cthulhu 2000," "The Second Messiah," "Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast," and many others.

Assuming I ever get to it, I'll let you know.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeez First, by the time you get to it I will have already read it in SEMINARY!!!

------------------
If you don't believe in what I say or the God I speak of I guess you'll just have to meet me so the Lord and I can convert you.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd actually get to read The Hiram Key in seminary?
Now that WOULD suprise me.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* It's Harry Potter and the PHILOSPHERS Stone.

Bloody Americanisation.

And What Savage Beast is a cool book. I'm not sure it now fits in with current Hulk continuity, but it's at least as good as most of PAD's Trek work.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Incredible Hulk

A comic book? "Eee' gods doth amaze me! Ayyyy, ee silly Americans!" If you're wondering why I can speak so affluently in English English lately, I've been tiring away at Vantiy Fair, which is a parody of the English in itself. So, "I don't just 'earn it from n'e'boody, I 'earn from ee master." Heheee.

"Ayyy, bloody Americans! Ayy, if I canna could, I'd of shone ee something with my own two digits in '76. Eeeeee rebels! Eeeeee backstabing devils. Devil, devil, devil! The Deuce!"

LOL, I think I got out of my system for tonight. But you never know. LOL ....

{No offense to PsyLiam, but I am sure "'ill be 'suum n'e'ways"}

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

A scene that was cut from last season's "Rock" episode, Tsumkatse:
Rock: Do ya smell what the Rock's cookin'?
Janeway: Mr. Rock, was that you?
Tuvok: An intriguing smell ...

[This message has been edited by SCSImperium (edited August 12, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might be offended, if I knew what the bloody hell you were talking about.

Look, just go and see Chicken Run. Or watch Red Dwarf. Those are English accents, okay? The accents of Daphne's boyfriends resemble our accents about as much as Charles resembles a pie.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I can read all the "gospels" and the Koran in seminary. At the one I want to attend they require Muslim ministry (actual ministry) as credit.

------------------
If you don't believe in what I say or the God I speak of I guess you'll just have to meet me so the Lord and I can convert you.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See? See? He said "gospels". This is exactly why the church discredits them. They love blinding people and leading them in the way they want to.

------------------
"The kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you; not in a building of stone or wood. Split a piece of wood, and I will be there. Lift a stone, and you will find me."
-The Gospel of Jesus, Stigmata

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Look, just go and see Chicken Run. Or watch Red Dwarf. Those are English accents, okay?

Well, you see, I think that might be it. Those are London accents. I pretty much draw on the country English culture of Sussex, and other non-developed parts of England.

I know a Welshman who speaks just like that, and he's the most ammusing character. He's also a cultural treasure, stuck back in the days of Victoria it seems like.

quote:
I might be offended, if I knew what the bloody hell you were talking about.

And thus the English are a jolly bunch, unoffendable.

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

A scene that was cut from last season's "Rock" episode, Tsumkatse:
Rock: Do ya smell what the Rock's cookin'?
Janeway: Mr. Rock, was that you?
Tuvok: An intriguing smell ...

[This message has been edited by SCSImperium (edited August 13, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"Look, just go and see Chicken Run. Or watch Red Dwarf. Those are English accents, okay?"

'Well, you see, I think that might be it. Those are London accents. I pretty much draw on the country English culture of Sussex, and other non-developed parts of England.'

Er, no they're not. Rimmer and the Cat don't have much regionalisation in their accents (is that a word? It is now), but Lister is obviously a scouser. From Liverpool. Not London.

And hardly any of the accents in Chicken Run are London either. Most are from up north. The main give away is how they say "grass". Londoners (and other southerners) say "gr-arse", whereas the further north you go, the more it becomes "gr-ass".

And Sussex doesn't have a culture. They barely have intelligent communication.

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps