Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Question for First of Two (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Question for First of Two
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*mutters something about Brighton being his birthplace*

But we did leave... within the year! Honest!

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Red Dwarf accents, why do the Cat and Kryten sound like they could easily be American? Actually, the same goes for the captain. And what kind of accent has Kochanski got (the current one, not the one that showed up a couple times in early seasons)?

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kryten's got a Canadian accent. Apparently. It's not how Robert Llewellyn normally sounds. It's just one of those crazy things the wacky guys at the Dwawf do. *cough*.

The Cat's got a London accent if anything, but it's not very heavy.

The Captain does sound American, yes.

The original Kockanski was Scottish. The new one is suppossed to be, but doesn't sound it. Like Rimmer, it's a pretty regionless accent. The English version of Frasier's accent I suppose. Mid-Atlantic, but she'd still say "Tewsday" rather than "Toosday".

Ahh, lovely Brighton. Somewhere that's famous for not actually having any sun today, but full of promises for tomorrow...

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kryten's got a Canadian accent

Does he now? We've got Atlantic accents and hick-farmer accents, but nothing as general as a Canadian accent.

We sound exactly the same as Americans. No aboot, or anything like that.

------------------
"What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad."
- Dave Barry

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course you sound exactly like Americans. You are Americans.

Now, if you're talking about the United States... So, Canadians have more than one type of accent, but now everyone in the US sounds the same? :-)

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Oh, and speaking of Frasier... I asked this once before, but never got a response. I don't know if England has seen this past season's finale yet, but, if you have, what accent was that that Daphne's brother had? If that example doesn't work, I heard the same accent on Red Dwarf. The episode where they're made to think it was all a game (or, more descriptively, the Dwayne Dibbley (sp?) episode). When they come out of the game, there's a technician that comes into the room, and he's got the same accent.

------------------

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At birth, everyone's vocal chords should be removed, and we should communicate through a series of fondles and gropes. (Of course, this means only females and myself.)

That way, accents will never be a problem.

------------------
"What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad."
- Dave Barry

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tecnician from "Back to Reality" was Timothy Spall, and it was a Brummie accent. That's Birmingham.

Daphe's brother had a Dick van Dyke accent. Which translates as a very, very, very crap cockney accent. Which is strange, considering that Daphne's suppossed to be a Mancunian. Although her accent isn't much cop either.

Personally, I don't think the tecnician sounded anything LIKE Daphne's brother, who, like a lot of Americans trying to sound English, think we all have permenant colds and talk through our noses.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Mancunian means "from Manchester" BTW.

I know most of you aren't that thick, but just in case...

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited August 14, 2000).]

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry, PsyLiam, they teach every known fact about England in Grammar school. I can hear the elementry school singing out my window:

"... Ruuuule Britannica! Britons rule the waves! Britons, Britons, Britons never shall be slaves ..."

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atlantic accent? Excuse me while I smack UM

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Member # 239

Have you been to Cape Breton?

------------------
- Dave Barry

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kryten is not remotely Canadian sounding. Not at all.

Canadian accents vary somewhat... nothing like Britain's variances, or even the US's. OTTOMH, Greater Vancouver accents sounds a lot more American than average, Nova Scotia does have a distinct Atlantic lilt to it, and the Newfs are totally off the charts.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you should have said Cape Breton accent.

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Look, just go and see Chicken Run. Or watch Red Dwarf. Those are English accents, okay? The accents of Daphne's boyfriends resemble our accents about as much as Charles resembles a pie.

What about Monty Python?

------------------
Sailing the Slipstream

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps