Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Question for First of Two (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Question for First of Two
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's another one I just thought of. Have you seen the movie Gone in 60 Seconds (the new Nicholas Cage one, not the original)? What accent did the, uh... "bad guy"... have? It reminded me of Lister's Liverpool accent, but the actor was apparently from Manchester. Was he faking a Liverpool accent, or do the two just sound sufficiently alike to the untrained ear (which would make sense, given the proximity of the two cities to each other)?

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Tim, a quick trip to a UK map would have told you that Liverpool and Manchester are essentially a double city these days...

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I mentioned "the proximity of the two cities to each other"... :-)

------------------
"They might be the infamous buzzard collectors for what we know, grabbing hapless space avians so that they don't end up as smears in the windshield."
-Timo Saloniemi, 16-Aug-2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tell them that. They can't stand each other...

Hey, I said he was going for a Canadian accent. I didn't say he got it.

Remember that Daphne is suppossed to be from Manchester. However, Jane Leeves is from London, and although she does a fair job, no Brit would ever be fooled by her accent. (I do wonder what she sounded like in the US Red Dwarf pilot...)

You ever here Marina Sirtis' normal voice? THAT's a common-as-muck cockney accent right there. She's working-class scum, basically.

Oh, and what's "... Ruuuule Britannica!\" all about Scuzzy? We don't tend to sing rousing songs about encyclopedias, y'know.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Marina Sirtis Greek?

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She must've grown up in England.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was born in London (to Greek parents). She's a big fan of Tottenham Hotspur, a London football club. She talks like a dirty slapper. She's a cockney.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ponders whether there really is a difference between Cockneys and dirty slappers*

------------------
[This space is reserved for advertising]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard her on talk shows over here. Very different then Troi's accent. I knew she was from London, but the difference between her and the character surprised me.

------------------
Sailing the Slipstream

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Was I doing something to your hair?"

I think she has wandered off the alien accent and behavior quite much since the TNG-pilot, becoming increasingly human and british. She's lovely, but I wonder if they shouldn't care more for the Betazed-culture.

What was the first ep with Troi in SF-uniform?

And did Tora Ziyal get a satisfying answer?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What was the first ep with Troi in SF-uniform?"

Technically? "Future Imperfect." Really? "Chain of Command I."

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it was "Encounter at Farpoint," I think.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"And on a wholly unrelated note, I went to high school with Fidel Castro. So there." - Simon Sizer

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, RIGHT!! Those damned skort unis! Good catch, Frankus!

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, what's the difference between "technically" and "really"??? And Frank, I meant when did she lose her grey and purple outfits and join the crews?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Shik
Member # 343

Timelines. "Future Imperfect" was the one with Riker in command & Minuet as his wife.

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps