Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Liberalism- by P.E. Trudeau (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Liberalism- by P.E. Trudeau
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now when did I advocate there not being warnings on the things? Must have missed that, too...

And perhaps this would be a good time to plug my new collectible line: Omega Crystal Figurines! That's right, now YOU can own your very own replica of everyone's favorite conservative! Order now, and we'll throw in the talking Omega doll absolutely FREE! Only four easy payments of $49.95. Hurry, we only have a few left!

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite conservative is George Will, actually. Very silly at times, but he writes well.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does it say in the Constitution, my little strict reading of that great document friend, that the government has the power to require private industry to put lables on things?

This isn't an ingredient label even. That is more or less common sence. And yet you say it is proper for the government to force tobacco companies to have these lables.

Certainly not a voluntary thing to do. Thwarts business initiative and all that by scaring customers away telling them that your product will kill them...even though the tobacco CEO trooped up to Capitol Hill and contended up until a couple of years ago that smoking tobacco wern't all that bad.

I'm starting to think of a warning lable the government could put on most of Omega's arguments: Inconsistent.

------------------
Get going! And answer those phones, install the computer system, and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited October 17, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you're assuming things. I said that it's BRITTAIN's government's fault that there weren't warnings. IINM, they have no constitution over there, as such, and thus it's perfectly legal to force labels. Here it's a different matter. It IS NOT constitutional for such a law to exist over here. If someone wants to put something in their body, then they should FIND OUT WHAT THE FREAKIN' STUFF DOES FIRST! If I say, "Ooh, this is labeled "cyanide". Don't know what that is, but I think I'll ingest some anyway," did I die due to the labeling company's neglegence, or due to my own stupidity?

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't that be "Brattain?" Heh...

Sad as I am t'say it...I gotta go with Omega here. I really DON'T want the cattle to be warned. I WANT the idiots & morons to off themselves. For millennia, stupidity & ignorance have been a major cleansing force for the planet...no point in fiddling with nature, I say.

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Omega
Member # 91

I'd say spelling is my worst subject, but it'd be kinda obvious by now. Only 83rd percentile...

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my bad, I missunderstood...when you say that they should have lables, you only mean in Britian. Gotcha.

------------------
Get going! And answer those phones, install the computer system, and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited October 18, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

Jay, are you really a moron, or do you just like trying to infuriate me? If so, you're failing.

Let me say this so clearly that even you can understand: ASSUMING that one wants to blame someone for not putting labels on cigarettes in Brittain until this decade, then one should blame the government. Since in England, the government ru(i)ns pretty well everything, why not that, too? Would it not seem inconsistant to expect it to pay for your medical bills, but then blame someone else when there aren't labels on poisonous products? If you want a government with that much power, then should you not also hold IT accountable for all those things over which it has power?

The people of Brittain relinquished their responsibility for finding the truth, instead giving it over to their government. Said government seems to have mishandled the responsibility.

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Britain.
Great Britain, if you'd like.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, if you'd even like-er.
The UK if you're in a hurry.
England, if you really want to piss off the Scots and/or Welsh.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Well, we're not about blame here Omega...

we're just about lables on packs of tobacco. Or apparently just about anything else the PM finds objectionable. Which is ok in the UK because they don't have a written constitution and the government tells everyone when to take a pee.

Liam must have a pretty dern restricted life with all that. Labels on his pants declaring a beasty resides within...lables on pints cause it's bad to drink and drive...lables on taxi cabs declaring they could run you over...lables on crosswalks declaring that cabs could run you over while in them....

Oh, and Liam, don't you dare seek truth...that's left in the hands of the PM.

Say, didn't the government of the UK ask Dunhill to take the royal crest of their packaging.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited October 18, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

"lables on crosswalks declaring that cabs could run you over while in them..."

Now THAT's not a bad idea.

The point is that they COULD do all those things, could they not?

------------------
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
- "due South"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they aren't. You must have ulcers or something, because you're always thinking about far off situations and what might happen. I bet you don't go outside much, do you?

"The sun might fall down on me, and kill me and my guns!"
"No, it won't."
"But there's no law in the Constitution that says the Government CAN'T use the sun as a gigantic weapon to kill us all!"

------------------
"...Well, we're about to witness All-in Wrestling, brought to you tonight, ladies and gentlemen, by the makers of Scum�, the world's first combined hair oil, foot ointment, and salad dressing; and by the makers of Titan�, the novelty nuclear missile. You never know when it'll go off!" - Monty Python, Live at the Hollywood Bowl.
*ahem*

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't like to speculate on things that could happen, might happen, or could have happened?
Then WHAT THE HELL are you doing, liking Sci-Fi???

Now, I admit, it may be taking a pessimistic view to be worrying about the possibility of some mega-powerful government running roughshod over people's rights...

Then again, it could just be learning from history.
After all, it's not as though the concept is something NEW..

France, Germany, Spain, England -- The Medieval Inquisitions and Witchhunts.
Nazi Germany.
Soviet Europe.
Any number of currectly active or formerly active dictatorships.
South Africa under Apartheid.

I think Q had something in "Farpoint" when he said: "Knowing Humans as you do, would YOU be caught helpless by them?"

Government is just a mess of humans. Emphasis on mess. Giving government ANY more power than what it absolutely NEEDS to survive is ALWAYS a dangerous proposition. The US Constitution Writers TRIED to forestall such things happening when they included the Bill of Rights in the Supreme Law of the Land. Unfortunately, various interpretations and legal wrangling have somewhat reduced and diluted the prominence and preeminince of that document.

Government is to protect you from threats more powerful than yourself, (while still maintaining inviolate your inherent rights) and to see to it that you have the opportunity to advance yourself according to your ability and ambition.

It is NOT its job to see to it that you succeed no matter what, or to enforce equity. Equity is an illusion.

It is governments job to se that we are all equal under the LAW, not in reality. Reality is something we have to change by ourselves and in ourselves.

Someone pointed out affirmative action.
Affirmative action has not served to end racism, bias, or economic inequity. Rather, it has served to create a restrictive system of quotas under which accomplishment takes a back seat to ethnic origin.. the exact OPPOSITE of MLK Jr.'s "Dream" in which we are judged by the content of our character.

Affirmative action and programs like it are methods of attempting to change behaviour through force. Historically and psychologically, this is an innefective tactic. For lasting harmonious results, reason beats force hands down.

Be the best person for the job, and get hired.
Learn, and achieve.
If you are denied a position because you are of a different race, DESPITE being the person most qualified, THEN you have occasion to sue. But if you simply are less qualified, and still think the job should be given to you because your ancestors were oppressed... screw you. Grow up.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because, we all know, since the dawn of the first government structure way back when Ugh and Ogh were the only two names widely used, they ONLY used their power to take control over people's lives and ruin their personal freedoms. The only true way to make sure that the good old Bib-Constitution is ABSOLUTELY OBEYED to the letter is if we get Anarchy in here. That way Big, old oppressive government, Brother won't strip us of our civil and human rights. That, or get some southern state to populate the government.

Is it really that fucking bad for you? Are you so downtrodden and ridden into societal dirt that you need to brace yourself for whatever the omnipotent government will do to you? If you spent half the time you did bitching about how the government is this or that, and actually did some fucking good for your country, I'm sure it'd be a fucking preverbial u-fucking-topia.

------------------
"...Well, we're about to witness All-in Wrestling, brought to you tonight, ladies and gentlemen, by the makers of Scum�, the world's first combined hair oil, foot ointment, and salad dressing; and by the makers of Titan�, the novelty nuclear missile. You never know when it'll go off!" - Monty Python, Live at the Hollywood Bowl.
*ahem*

Omega
Member # 91

"But there's no law in the Constitution that says the Government CAN'T use the sun as a gigantic weapon to kill us all!"

Sure there is. Read the tenth ammendment. You know, the one that is always ignored, thus leading to our suspicion in the first place?

------------------
- "due South"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps