Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Liberalism- by P.E. Trudeau (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Liberalism- by P.E. Trudeau
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone WILL tell me if he comes up with anything rational to say, right?

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, Omega!

In fact, its the same person who is going to tell me when YOU say something that makes the tiniest bit of sense.

=)

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"Mac asked me to look after her [Jennifer Hill] while he's in San Francisco whacking the son of a bitch who killed her husband." - Richie Ryan

"Richie ... *you're* the son of a bitch who whacked her husband!" -- Joe Dawson

"Haunted" - Highlander: The Series

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two points following Tahna's post that have little real relevance:

1)The Calagary Herald isn't owned by Black anymore. Izzy swiped it a few months ago.

2)Cyanide bottles will carry, by law, international warning symbols on it. And yet, strangely enough, Cigarettes can't even be regulated by the Food and Drug administration?

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Companies don't lay off workers just to give higher-ups a bonus. That'd be stupid, and business owners aren't stupid (at least, not the successful ones). If they lay off workers, they have a reason.

I must have missed that somewhere in a Sprite induced haze....

Well, color me pink and call me Brenda. I don't think it's quite right just to call the myriad of CEO's, CTO's, CKO's, CFO's, vice president of this and of that silmpy higher ups. And yes, when all these members of the good old person alphabet soup club move on to another good old person alphabet soup club job...they take their huge bonuses.

Oh, my who gets to pay for that? Can you say the workers? Case in point. Times Mirror gets bought out by the Tribune. Mark Wiles leaves the company after messing it up royally...er, running it for a couple of years with a package worth 65 million. Oh, my...how is the Tribune going to pay for that? Certainly not out of the money they pay good old person alphabet soup club. If you said yes, you'd be wrongo there Sport. Since then there have been cancelation of projects, workers who leave aren't replaced, and yes Sally, layoffs.

By your own trickle down theory Omega, taken to the level of big business, the good old person alphabet soup club members need to be greased at the expence of the workers so that their mighty ideas will continue to flow over 2 martini lunches.

quote:
As for your examples, I stand corrected. Sometimes successful business owners ARE stupid.

Having given the ground, I didn't really want to rehash all of it, but it struck me that since you haven't had the opportunity to work in the business environment, your very pro business stance can be very wrong.

------------------
Get going! And answer those phones, install the computer system, and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course. But that's why we have laws against that. The owner of the factory on the bank doesn't own the river, too, so he obviously can't pollute it.

Ok, si maybe it's the phrasing I'm having trouble with when it comes to the above quote.

Laws against pollution are good...local, state and federal. I hold with those who say that such laws need enforcment rather than augmentation...that is until someone finds a loophole and can beat the letter if not the spirit of any given law.

Anyway, it's the last part that I'm not sure about. The part that says that company A doesn't own river B and therefor can not pollute the river.

How does that work? If I don't own something, I can throw all the junk I want to in it or on it and it's not polluting? Whoo hooo....trash out the window here I come!!!

Sorry Ironeyes.

------------------
Get going! And answer those phones, install the computer system, and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's impossible to "own" a river, since a river is a mobile entity in a constant state of flux, that has effects far beyond its bounds. Same as the sky, no matter how much blathering you hear from nations about 'airspace.'

If you are not permitted to pollute that which you do not own, than certainly you cannot pollute the water or the air. And since things put into the ground will, in most cases, eventually affect the ground water, another travelling entity, you can't pollute that, either.

That's pretty simple.

Another fairly simple thing to see is thatr if we enforced existing regulations, rather than ignoring them, plea-bargaining them down, or deliberately creating loopholes and exceptions for our friends (like Slick Willie and Ozone Al have in several cases) it is unlikely that we would need further rules and regulations to pick up the slack.

But try to explain that to someone with regulation-mania... it's like talking to a TOS ambassador.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's impossible to "own" a river, since a river is a mobile entity in a constant state of flux

Well, then what about this 'Dawson' fellow? It seems to me he owns a creek...

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Again, I am still stuck on the phrasing.

"so he obviously can't pollute it."

As you point out it could mean that he is prohibited by law from polluting? One that I did not gleen from the statment and thanks for pointing it out.

Rather what I took was that the owner of the business, simply by the fact of non ownership of the river, does not have the ability to pollute said river.

At any rate, rivers do get polluted, so the "can't" really doesn't work there because they "can", it's just against the law.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when someone says can't, when they obviously can, it's usually taken to mean "can, but really aren't supposed to." At least, by those of us interested in legitimate exchange of information.

------------------
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
- "due South"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"With pleasure, grasshopper."

Omega, two words... FUCK OFF!!! That was a mean and unjustified attack. And you know the HELL what I'm talking about.

I do my best to support myself in the way I can in the face of overwhelming opposition from dictator-from-hell-mother. Whenever I have my problems, I deal with my problems on my own, and I do not expect anyone else to help me. In effect, I'm trying to strike out on my own. I'm here to offer comments from MY side of the political spectrum. The LAST THING I need from you is a fucking disparaging comment like this.

I really don't feel like commenting on your responses. I've had a bad day. And you've just made it worse.

BTW: Liberals are NOT grasshoppers.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited October 22, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAAAAccckkkkk.

Even I got that Omega was sarcastic with that remark.

Someone said "Oh, educate us, Omega" or something to that effect.

And, Omega, to the best of my deduction, replied facetiously [sp], "ok, grasshopper". In reference to him being (sarcastedly) the leader and.or mentor. [See First's signature for an example in Modern Day speech.]

I don't think that warrented a FUCK OFF in any respect of those two great words together. Nor do I think it was any reference to Liberals.

Although, I cannot fathom how calling Liberals grasshoppers is an attack.

"You're NDP? You millipede!"

"YOU BASTARD!!!! NDP'ers ARE NOT Millipedes!!! That was below the belt. Or belts, as it were. We do have 100's of legs you know."

------------------
"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."
- Tiger Woods

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited October 22, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

Thank you, UM. Some people can be overly sensitive.

Sorry I offended you, Tahna. You really must watch more of those old Japanese movies.

------------------
- "due South"

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say "Oh, educate us, Omega" because first of all, I don't know what voucher schools are. I have NO IDEA how they work. No sarcasm there. Just a simple request to get the facts from HIS side of the table.

And Omega, you didn't think I read THIS? didn't you? Are you saying that I'm a lazy ass bum who does no work but live off the teat of others don't you? You think ALL liberals are like that, are you?

If there is ONE thing that I hate about your remark, it is that you are being entirely STEREOTYPICAL to me, as well as everyone who isn't in the same social footing as you, i.e. the liberals and less fortunate. That's right, the poor WANT to do nothing but live off goverment assistance. Girls DELIBERATELY get themselves pregnant so they can get a fat cheque. People DELIBERATELY go off work because they say "hey, I can get a good sum of money for doing NOTHING".

Is that what you believe, Omega? Is THAT what you think I am?

THAT'S why I'm really pissed. And I still am. That pansy comment about Japanese movies doesn't make your apology acceptable.

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited October 22, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

I didn't apologize. I'm not sorry I said it, just that it offended you unnesecarily. But you don't seem interested in figuring out what I actually meant, so what's the point?

But for those of you who actually care about facts, I wasn't refering to that story. I was refering to, as I said, old Japanese movies. You know, the ones where the student interrupts his 150 year old master, who then rebukes him, saying, "Patience, grasshopper," or a similar scene. The whole "Teach us, oh wise Omega" thing simply reminded me of the scene.

------------------
- "due South"

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Fine. I'll apologize for getting upset at you. But next time choose your words carefully. But you do understand my beef about the ant and grasshopper, do you?

I will deliver responses to your other remarks later in the day.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps