Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "This is not ordinary laziness... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: "This is not ordinary laziness...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't worry...it'll all die down as soon as November rolls around...

And that's when the Canadian politics discussion will begin! *grins evilly*

------------------
"He may not be a god, but on this ship, I am!"
-Andromeda

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: When you come into play, ad hominem is sometimes the only option... *L*

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, this probably isn't the place for this, being the flameboard and all ...

But let's be thankful that we live in countries where we can decide to change our administrations by marking a ballot, and not by a revolution. =)

------------------
"[Smith] ran on an agenda that was revolutionary for his time -- a 45 cent minimum wage, limiting the workweek to six days, building a bridge to the 1930's -- and I want to say it's quite a tribute to Al Smith that Governor Bush has adopted the same agenda." - Al Gore

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: There is no current study, unfortunately.

Somebody tell me how trigger locks make guns safer.

I mean, for RESPONSIBLE gun-owning parents, because I personally feel if you're stupid enough to leave ANY deadly object, whether wepon or drano, where a child has easy access to it, you shouldn't be passing on your defective genes in the FIRST place.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited October 24, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JK:

"You said, "and I ask you the same thing I asked my cousin, Jeff. Why don't you like Bush?" in the same post, you added "and in case you're wondering why I'm attacking your candidate to defined mine, you started it.""

Yes, but you're cutting out a very important fact: between the two, I went on to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECT. I was obviously not refering to my earlier comment. There are two entirely unrelated paragraphs between the two.

Since that eliminates the basis for the next two paragraphs...

"And then, accusing me of "ad homiem" all the way, you turned the attack right back on ... Clinton ...?"

That was not ad hominem on my part. It is a legitimate point that the same argument that you make against Bush can be made far more effectively against Clinton, a man who your own cantidate has much in common with (fictional middle-class tax cuts and perscription drug coverage, for example).

"in 2003, ALL handguns sold in the State of Maryland must be equipped with a built in trigger lock."

Fine. If I ever move to Maryland and decide to buy a gun, I'll just leave the lock off all the time.

As First would probably point out (if I wasn't beating him to the punch), if someone's so irresponsible as to leave a gun where a child can get to it, what makes you think that they'd be responsible enough to use the lock, instead? All a trigger lock does is make the gun a little more expensive (just an assumption, but it seems a valid one), and make the gun harder to use when needed. To quote (probably not exactly, but close enough) a NY gangster on the witness stand, "You pull your gun with a trigger lock, and I'll pull my gun. We'll see who wins."

TSN:

"When you come into play, ad hominem is sometimes the only option..."

I'll take that as a compliment, Tim.

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why you would NEED a gun in Maryland is beyond me.

We're a pretty safe state.

Omega, you can't leave the lock OFF ... its built into the gun. Did you mean leave it unlocked?

------------------
"[Smith] ran on an agenda that was revolutionary for his time -- a 45 cent minimum wage, limiting the workweek to six days, building a bridge to the 1930's -- and I want to say it's quite a tribute to Al Smith that Governor Bush has adopted the same agenda." - Al Gore

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, off, as in unengaged.

And no place is so safe that you have no conceivable use for a gun.

------------------
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
- "due South"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, GOD NO.

A gun discussion. Oh joy.

We all know how well these work.

I don't know what's more of a waste of time, partaking in these discussions, or trying to determine what skin color Michael Jackson is.

Is it possible for charles to put a ban on posts containing "gun" and "control" and, if possible "little rabid monkey-humpers?"

------------------
"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."
- Tiger Woods

Omega
Member # 91

Oh, now don't try and deprive First and I of our fun, UM. We haven't had the chance to thwap our new friend on the issue yet.

------------------
- "due South"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Some of us are perfectly capable of carrying on a logical and unheated discussion/debate regarding little rabid monkey-humpers. So there!

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little Rabid Monkey humpers don't kill people, they hump them.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gun Locks, like house locks, will keep the honest people at bay, but if someone really wants to use the gun, they will. The only way for true weapon safety is to stop making them world wide, then, eventually, none of them will work for lack of parts and ammo.

The weapon isn't the problem, it's the way of life and the fact that so much of life is demeaning. More money can be made in a life of crime, drugs especially, than can be made with a job. If the drug dealers looked at people as people, instead of walking dollars, they wouldn't be able to sell them drugs.
In the old west weapons were prolific as hell, but from reading about it it doesn't seem like there were as many deaths as there are now. Why? Respect for life, higher morals, maybe a bit of religion thrown in?

It is the same thing that someone posted in the OPEC thread, times change, attitudes change, and in some cases, not for the better.

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh, now don't try and deprive First and I of our fun, UM."

Does this sort of fun involve "little rabid monkey-humpers" then? You dirty, dirty sod.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

::eyes UM and Omega:: I dunno what I'm hearin' about monkey-humping, but you two stay ten feet away from me where I can see you!

There is a problem with gun-locks -- and yes, that is it won't stop someone from killing you.

But they're not meant to do that. They're meant to keep children from killing themselves, because as much as we can talk about responsible parents here, there are a LOT of un-responsible parents, and a built in lock IS a good idea, and a step in the right direction.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Which doesn't address the fact that if a parent is so irresponsible as to leave a gun where the kid can get to it, they're not gonna lock the gun in the first place.

Besides, how many children are killed in accidents involving guns every year? In '97 it was 20 (as opposed to 38 involving five-gallon buckets filled with water). Trigger locks simply WILL NOT save that many lives, especially when taking the above fact into account. Then you have to compare how ever few lives the locks will save to the number that would be lost because someone couldn't use a gun when they needed it. Five 'll get you ten that the second is an order of magnitude greater than the first.

------------------
- "due South"

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited October 24, 2000).]

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps