Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Florida & Electorate College ... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Florida & Electorate College ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First,

Really? I smell all the irregularities in Florida, and then I look at Jeb Bush ... brother of George Bush ... hmmmm ... gee, could it be? You don't think ... ?

I agree that if the voters were confused, they should have said so when they were voting. I also agree that its probably not fraud on either side, but honest confusion. I hate to say it, but if Bush wins, Gore should concede and not try and drag this out over this vote (I mean, hey -- no one can accuse Gore of "losing" -- he DID win the popular vote)

What I want to know, is what is it I'm hearing about black voters being turned away? If *that* is true, then that's a different story all together ...

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten to one that it's a another mischaracterization, like the "disenfranchized voters" who tried to vote for two different people. I'd bet they weren't registered, or had already voted, or something like that. Or maybe it's like in GA, where if you have a criminal record past a certain point, you don't get to vote.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FL code, Title IX, Chapter 97.041, clause 2:

"The following persons, who might be otherwise qualified, are not entitled to register or vote:

(a) A person who has been adjudicated mentally incapacitated with respect to voting in this or any other state and who has not had his or her right to vote restored pursuant to law.

(b) A person who has been convicted of any felony by any court of record and who has not had his or her right to vote restored pursuant to law.

(3) A person who is not registered may not vote."

It's also possible that they simply showed up after the polls closed. Need more info.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited November 10, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, more info is needed ...

Big question is, why would the NAACP have a press-conference without first checking to see if the people complaining were/were not registered?

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited November 09, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

Probably for the same reason you boys started hyperventilating over a box of crayons and perfectly legal balots, or Jessie Jackson's going to defend a few thugs that started a riot. Namely, jumping to conclusions. The democrats are desperate, and they and their constituants (read: NAALCP) are going to do anything to try to steal the election.

------------------

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to point out at this juncture that some of the people who were confused DID ASK FOR HELP. AND you know what the "helpers" said when they were asked which hole was Gore's? "I don't know". Hmmmm. SURE, you don't know.

And why are we so certain that everyone in the military is going to vote Bush? I never understood that.

And believe me, if the tables were turned, and this was a tight margin with the Republicans looking like they lost, every republican in the area would be trying to find the "lost" ballots and rectify the "confusing" ones.

There are LOTS of fishy things happening down there.
And that's not all, I heard that in one state some people actually got a call, telling them that because of expected high voter turn out, Republicans and Libertarians were to vote on Tuesday, and Democrats, Reforms, and Independents were to vote on Wednesday. And in still another state people were told that they had to bring a special registration card with them in order to be allowed in the polls. Of course that's a bunch of bullshit. Election day is tuesday for EVERYONE, and if you've registered prior, you don't need a special card... and you cant' vote now even if you DO bring in a filled out voter's registration form.

And just why is it that there was only one hole to punch for Bush, and two to punch for Gore, instead of the other way around? Hmmm. Could it be that they did that on purpose?

Well, I don't know. But I smell a rat, and I don't care if we have to wait until January itself to find out, Justice WILL be done. I personally think there should be a re-vote in Palm Beach, that would solve a LOT of problems.

Hell, even Pat Buchanon himself has stated that most of the votes labled his weren't. He knows he doesn't have 17 thousand supporters in Florida.

But it doesn't matter anyway. Bush isn't going to get any of his proposed bills passed with Congress the way it is. He doesn't have the republican majority he needs to pass things, and you can bet your ass those few democrat votes he needs are NOT going to change their minds, especially in light of this. And with that monkey-looking crotch goblin not winning the popular vote, he's going to find it very hard to make friends with all of us.

If he wins, I'm going to sit back and watch him make an idiot out of himself. It aught to be good for a few laughs.

But we'll see. This is FAR from over.

------------------
The wheel, it turneth. But the hamster, it hath demised.
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer our friend.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And with that monkey-looking crotch goblin..."

Brilliant! But how like a flaming wok it is, all greased up for the oven.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited November 10, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Omega,

What a moron you are.

Before everyone knew the ballot box was full of crayons people wondered. Now its a non-issue. Do you want me to speak slower?

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK, could you write slower, I don't read that fast.....

------------------
I see a red door and I want it painted black

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Hmmmm. I'll try, Ritten.

No, but seriously, Omega brings up the ballot box full of crayons, forgetting that for awhile, no one knew what was in it -- it could have been forgotten ballots or something of that.

Once it was found to be full of crayons, everyone dismissed it ... except for Omega, apparently.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, you just don't like to be reminded that the Dems did a stupid thing. Demoncrats never like to be reminded when they blow an issue out of proportion, it hurts their feelings.

Like I said over and over again, a SEVEN YEAR OLD KID figured out which ballot space was Gore's. (FOX news, last night.) If the aforementioned voters aren't as smart as your average seven year old, do you really WANT them voting?

>"And that's not all, I heard that in one state some people actually got a call, telling them that because of expected high voter turn out, Republicans and Libertarians were to vote on Tuesday, and Democrats, Reforms, and Independents were to vote on Wednesday."

Yes, yes, this was a well-known hoax WEEKS before the election. Anyone stupid enough to fall for it DESERVED not to have their vote counted.

STUPIDITY deserves no mercy.
(which is also the central lesson of the skit from which I get my sig.)

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited November 10, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you could make an arguement that since a seven year old kid would have never voted in an election, he wouldn't have had any preconceptions, and therefore would have had to read everything, and get his information from that.

Other voters would have voted before, and been confused at the differences.

And most 7 year-old kids are pretty smart and adaptable. How comes they can remember the names of all 252 POkemon, but adults get confused trying to tell the difference between skimmed and semi-skimmed milk?

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And anyone First, are you saying that stupid people should not vote? How clever should you have to be then? Someone with an IQ of 100? 80? 140? Should only the brightest people get a vote, because they obviously know more than the average Joe off the street?

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong definition of "stupid". This isn't a question of intelligence. It's one of sense. We're talking about people of normal intelligence, but they don't feel compelled to pay enough attention to what they're doing, or they just can't be bothered to take the time to actually use their brains, and then they expect to be compensated for their own dumb mistakes.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited November 10, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

Jubes:

"And why are we so certain that everyone in the military is going to vote Bush? I never understood that."

Unscientific polls show that the military votes 90% Bush. That, and the fact that under his father, the military was the strongest it's ever been, whereas under Clinton/Gore, it's the weakest for quite some time.

"I heard that in one state some people actually got a call, telling them that because of expected high voter turn out, Republicans and Libertarians were to vote on Tuesday, and Democrats, Reforms, and Independents were to vote on Wednesday."

Acutally, that was an e-mail joke. What I find more amusing is that the Democratic party apparently thinks that it's constituancy is so stupid as to believe that, since they bought a TV commercial in NC to say it's not true.

"And just why is it that there was only one hole to punch for Bush, and two to punch for Gore, instead of the other way around?"

Um... perhaps because that's the alphabetical order? It would make sense. Say they put the two major cantidates at the top in alphabetical order, then the other cantidates in alphabetical order below them. It would explain why Buchanan was third.

"Hell, even Pat Buchanon himself has stated that most of the votes labled his weren't. He knows he doesn't have 17 thousand supporters in Florida."

Actually, that number makes perfect sense, considering the Reform and Independant registration in Palm Beach county.

"But it doesn't matter anyway. Bush isn't going to get any of his proposed bills passed with Congress the way it is. He doesn't have the republican majority he needs to pass things"

We still control the house, and with a dead tie in the senate, the VP would break ties. Thus he could easily get bills passed.

Liam:

"Other voters would have voted before, and been confused at the differences."

Irrelevant. The law of the land from a '74 court decision is that if a reasonable, responsible search by the voter can determine where to mark the ballot, then it can't be thrown out on the grounds of being confusing. If a seven-year-old could determine it, any adult with half a brain could.

As for smart people voting, that's taken care of. You can only get an absentee ballot if YOU request one (not that that's stopped Democrats in the past, I might point out), and if you're too dumb to work the normal ballot, you can't vote anyway. Of course, then there's the whole thing about a literacy test being unconstitutional...

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps