Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Death Row (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Death Row
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"he's begging for mercy - his family is begging for his mercy...Could you 'pull the switch'? And be comfortable with the fact that you did do it?"

I doubt the criminal in question gave any credence to the mercy of his victims. Why give him the same courtesy, when it's obvious he was able to 'pull the switch' with little effort.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried getting the job as the person that 'flips the switch', need a criminal law degree....

Those that don't show any remorse, how can locking them up for life work? They don't care.

Then you get kids killing each other, like here in Saint Clair county, where the other kids staged a small riot supporting the confessed killers. What the f*ck is this crap? I'd say sending a few thousand volts in to those 3 young adults will send a message to those 40 juvenile supporters.

"Damn, Johnny killed Jimmy, and then they electrocuted Johnny." pauses in thought, "Maybe I shouldn't kill Joey....."

People like Ms. Smith, that killed her kids, in their car seats, by driving her car in to that lake. Keep her alive, let that bitch suffer, let the prisoners that want to see their kids beat her daily, this would be a good thing.
Timmy McVeigh, let him get shanked in prison, helping to kill all those kids.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many a day I wish we still maintained Colisseums. A bout with some Tigers would set those Criminals straight.

Straight through the Tigers digestive system!

BWAHAHAHAHA. Look Out!

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gratified to read MsChris' and TLE's replies, nice to see that some people feel the way I do, and can be bothered to construct reasoned arguments that don't depend on minute deconstruction - down to the syntax level - of the statements by those with opposing viewpoints.

As for you, Ritten, and the obvious relish with which you regard the gory details of methods of capital punishment, I wouldn't bemoan your inability to obtain a criminal law degree too highly. I suspect the position to which you aspire also requires a certain degree of psychological screening which you would find equally impassable.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I could pass the tests and meet the requirements, if it had been my career goal in life. Maybe I'd just get a kick out of it, but it had been a job that I had applied for, but my lack of a degree in ciminal law is easily rectified, if I decide to change career paths again.
As it is, I am happy enough to work in the RTO business, getting my promotions as I do. I've been with RentWay for 3 weeks and I am do for a promotion next week. So I am content for now.
I guess, being an infantryman, I see death in a different perspective than the rest of you, which I guess to VP makes me warped or mentally ill. Oh well.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this story is both tangentially related to this discussion and a very good read, and that you should read it.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I doubt the criminal in question gave any credence to the mercy of his victims. Why give him the same courtesy, when it's obvious he was able to 'pull the switch' with little effort." - Ultra

But Ultra, you aren't just punishing the criminal - but his family too. You have created even more victims. What did his family do to deserve what you are putting them through? How would you feel about your child/sibling/parent being executed?

And here's another straw to grasp for....How many 'criminals' have been wrongfully executed? Yeah, I know it seldom happens, but the fact is that it does and has happened (and will continue to happen). Do the victims of those families get to have their revenge on the system? Not likely.

"Then you get kids killing each other, like here in Saint Clair county, where the other kids staged a small riot supporting the confessed killers. What the f*ck is this crap? I'd say sending a few thousand volts in to those 3 young adults will send a message to those 40 juvenile supporters." - Ritten

Yup...It would send a message, but not just to those juveniles. I can see a major protest happening. What about the freedom to speak? Hell, if you are willing to go to that degree - Why not resurrect Hitler?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Sounds interesting, got any of his DNA?

I don't know how I'd feel if my son turned out to be a mass murderer, but I'd imagine I'd just as soon see him fry. Hell, I've disowned family for being thieves, let alone murderers.

"My Timmy is a good boy, he was just having a bad day when he killed those people in Oklahoma City." cried Mrs. Mac.

Yep.

If we turn our cheek 168 times we will end up looking right back where we started.

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we should just give these people a mind wipe, implant a new personality, and let them perfom duties that would be beneficial for the public.

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited December 31, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone is advocating turning their cheek, just choosing a punishment that isn't death. I for one, don't want our worst criminals becoming martyrs to those who sympathize with them.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babylon 5 there?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, members of the armed forces who blather on about how hard they are, and how much they love death, never saw combat. Yet wearing nice green uniforms and getting to carry guns somehow - or so they would have us believe - give them an incredible degree of experience in all matters death-related. I guess it must be true, since so many of them fetch up in dead-end jobs like, what was it? Rentokill? That's pest control, right?

oh, and MsC: seldom? Try regularly.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience,

Members of the armed forces are usually trained to enter combat. All of my friends in the armed services have been in combat situations, either in Kosovo or Bosnia (well, ok, my one friend ain't seen combat, but he's a cadet at the Air Force Academy).

I think it's safe to say that the majority of the people in the US's military have been in areas & missions where they have known their lives to be in danger, and have lived with the knowledge that they might have to take lives.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Dn
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bangs head on table..*

(glances up briefly..) "sigh.."

*continues to bang head on table..*

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Um. Okaaaaaay ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps