Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Death Row (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Death Row
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that members of the Armed Forces are allowed to have different opinions of death than we common folk.

They're the ones that are going to kill people in combat, while we watch and judge on CNN. If they're more hard-assed about it, I think that's a good idea. Their job is to prepare to kill.

Three of my best friends are first-year JTF-2 grunts, and while they're not exactly the poster boys for proper and healthy mental adjustment, they're the guys I want shooting other bad guys to protect me.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people like reading too much in to what is typed....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone has an equal right to talk about death. It's really the only thing we have in common.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we go off on a tangent about the differences of killing during war, and murder - let me explain the difference AFAIS...

When you enter a war-type situation (or the military since 'war' is a very real possibility), you know that there is a chance of not returning - of being killed.

When you are a standard citizen, getting killed is not something you anticipate.

Yup! Definately a difference.

TLE: Babylon 5? LOL - I never thought about the similarities, but you are correct. Seems to have shown some of the possibilities.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MsChris,

I think every civilian with a CCWP expects death. Police -- Federal (FBI, ATF, USSS) and local -- are civilians too (although many are ex-military)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm...okay - let me rephrase that...the ordinary untrained civilians. :-)
Pick-pick-pick.

MsChris
Member # 445

Hmmm...learn something new everyday!
I couldn't find my post so I resubmitted it and then realized I couldn't find it because the thread suddenly turned to two pages.

[This message has been edited by MsChris (edited January 01, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't I though?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Civil Servents aren't really civialians, they are Government employees. A scale should look something like this....
Civilian
Civil Servent
Military

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever happened to letting the punishment fit the crime?

Death = Death.

Rape, beating and death = rape, beating, and death.

Blowing up into little pieces = blowing up into little pieces.

If you kill more than one person, we just double the time it takes you to die -- to matched the increased suffering created by your actions.

As for the criminal's family... so? This is yet again another instance of 'should have thought of that before you did it.'

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, "an eye for an eye" has been done for so long, and it never seems to quite work, does it? It doesn't discourage others from doing the same thing. It's like locking drug users up -- lock 'em up all you want, all you're doing is putting dangerous criminals back on the streets to make room for someone who tokes up. It's not an answer.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, in so far as minor drugs are concerned.
I've already proposed a solution to this.

1. We legalize certain drugs, and okay them for private, personal use. We make the drugs available in state-run stores, like liquor, and tax the hell out of them, as far as the market will bear. Because I don't care if you destroy yourself.

2. However, we make it a fragging offense to harm anybody else while under the influence of any of these same drugs, or to operate a motor vehicle in a similar condition. No mercy and no quarter to be given. You drug, you drive, you DIE.

I think that's fair.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I agree.

Anyone who pops an asprin before they get into a car, off with their friggin head! Anyone who lights up a Marlboro, them too!

People who run red lights, follow too closely, cut others off, and make illegal u-turns should also be put to death. Also, those who jay-walk, toss their cigarette butts into the storm drains, or hitch-hike should also be executed.

For that matter, anyone who needs to wear eye-glasses to see properly while driving should also be put to death. Anyone who can't drive a stick shift should be put to death. Anyone who drives a Geo should also be put to death for lack of taste.

Death is never the answer to anything.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 09, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the contrary, death is the answer for the question that is our lives.

But, There's A Big Fucking Difference between First's example and your off-the-rocker ramblings.

If you harm someone while under the influence of drugs, is, say quite different to needing glasses to see.

As much as disagree with Omega, I'm not completely taken aback when he calls you irrational.

------------------
"The ingestion of this product, which contains a high level of acidity, may result in unwanted, and unexpected head corrosion. Be warned.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

One word. Sarcasm.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps