Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » CA's Energy Crisis: Flight of Fancy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: CA's Energy Crisis: Flight of Fancy
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather thought the whole of the coverage was pretty well balanced.

I trust you read more than the Republican, er, Democratic Governor Davis' speech section. I'm not wholly sure that your theory...because much of what you write in earlier parts ot the thread are theory about deregulation and now what is practically happening in California...hold true in the energy market of California.

quote:
What went wrong?
Conceived in the depths of an economic recession and just before the Internet boom, deregulation was based on the assumption that electricity demand would grow gradually.

Instead, it raced ahead as much as three times more quickly than predicted, straining the supply. In fact, although California's per capita energy use is the third-lowest in the nation, California also generates less power per resident than any other state.

Out-of-state plants make up the deficit, but electricity supplies became so tight last year that the Bay Area got hit with a blackout and state authorities declared emergency shortages on 22 days--including the first ever Stage 3 emergency, which could have resulted in rationing.

Other reasons cited for the electricity crunch are the state's older, less efficient power plants (55% are more than 30 years old); citizens' unwillingness to tolerate new power plants close to their homes; slackening of electricity conservation efforts; an overtaxed transmission grid; increased power demand in Western states exporting electricity to California; and, yes, inadequate state regulation of wholesalers.

I don't think that how much you want to cajole your argument, deregulation has to be part of the problem.

California regulates carbon dioxide emissions for cars and the auto industry has complied by engineering cars that fit the standards...made a shitload of cash and moved on. Same with gasoline. Why then, should the now private energy companies who want to reap the rewards of doing business in Califonia not do the same?

As an aside, I'd like to know (and not as some sort of challenge that you don't know what your talking about thing) where you are getting the info on the CO2.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 10, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll see if I can re-find the source.
But perhaps the Californians among us would have heard about that?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the time has come.

Three plants went down last night because of the storm.

Today we're on a level three power emergency.

The rotating blackouts just started with block number 3... they're gonna do 20 blocks at a time, one hour each, for the next four hours.

I'm in block 39.

Yay.

------------------
"Uh, Cody, what has the Mullah of Cappistan been smoking?"
"MILKSHAKES. I HAVE BEEN SMOKING MILKSHAKES!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like fun.

I just hope the folks can stay civil out there during the blackouts - they're an ideal time for marauders and such. And we know how Angelinos love a good excuse to run amok... keep your (insert defensive weapon of choice here) handy.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it with you and the guns?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 11, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My weapon of choice is a bamboo stalk about 1 inch in diameter.... When you hit someone with this it makes a crack like a small pistol shot, and causes much pain...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Did I say Gun, Jeff? No, I said 'defensive weapon of choice.' This could be a gun, sword, knife, baseball bat, chain, doberman, or spitwad hurler. I said that mainly because I know some people here wouldn't choose a gun, for any reason, but partly because I suspected someone would overreact, and I could then expose them to derision.

so BLEAH! :P

------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm, guys... the outages were gonna occur here in the Bay Area, not LA.

We Sillycon Valley residents can keep ourselves from rioting at the drop of a breaker.

Either way, we got some power pulled in from out of state which saved our ass from rotating power outs again.

------------------
"Babies are squirmy, ugly, dirty, smelly, and noisy. They'd offend all five of my senses if I had any reason to lick one..."
-- TSN, 2001.01.11 23:27, PhoenixChat

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I say Gun, Jeff? No, I said 'defensive weapon of choice.' This could be a gun, sword, knife, baseball bat, chain, doberman, or spitwad hurler. I said that mainly because I know some people here wouldn't choose a gun, for any reason, but partly because I suspected someone would overreact, and I could then expose them to derision.

You said "defensive weapon of choice", which, as you have made very clear, in your case means a gun. Therefore, your defensive weapon of choice is a gun. Therefore, what is it with you and the guns?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Actually, my defensive weapon of choice, given unlimited resources, would be a Vorlon planet-killer. NOBODY would screw with me then.

My defensive weapon of necessity (so long as the bad guys have them) is a 45 caliber semiauto pistol. Simply because it evens the playing field.

My PREFERRED weapon, actually, is a rather nice dagger that my first serious girlfriend gave to me long ago, hones to razor-sharp perfection and concealed upon my person. Good for slashing, puncturing, or hurling with great accuracy. (Well, good-to-very good accuracy, anyway)

I'm also rather fond of my claymore, my compound bow, and my double-bladed woodcutter's axe.

Mostly my firearms are for target shooting and killing bees and the occasional rabid animal. If I have to use one against a rabid human, I will do so reluctantly, but without hesitation.

But now we've changed the topic... again.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I just spoke with a patron who inspects power plants for a living.

He says the shortage of new power plants is approaching EXTREME Danger.

Not only are we NOT building new plants, we're closing the old ones, and not even replacing what THEY generated, and we haven't developed any new solutions to the growing need for energy. Some quotes:

"There's talk about tearing up the hydro dams on the Columbia river, to help out the salmon, and I can under stand that, but WHERE are they going to come up with the power to replace what they'll lose?"

"They aren't building any new plants... the [environmentalists] won't let us."

"They've been tearing down the plants in New England, and Canada's exported us just about all the power they can."

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a plant here in Port Huron that is only run every now and again. There are quite a few others in the area, so we can help out Detroit.

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now are you talking about California Fo2 or all over?

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

If this plant were to be fired up it could feed juice in to the national power grid, which could shift westward.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Jay: in the last, I was talking about all over.

This guy is the father of a little girl who comes into the library a lot, but it's usually with her mom because her dad travels all over the country inspecting power plants. He was only too happy to talk to me about it.

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps