Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » CA's Energy Crisis: Flight of Fancy (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: CA's Energy Crisis: Flight of Fancy
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Omega, I mis-spoke.

When I said "support", I meant, how will the Justice Department support laws that Ashcroft does not agree with? In other words, yes, enforcing them. His track record in the senate and in Missouri seems to hint that "no" he won't enforce laws he doesn't agree with. I'm sorry, but I can't picture Ashcroft outside of an abortion clinic, armed, ready to protect that abortion clinic ...

I also wonder what Mr. Ashcroft would do if neither he nor Mr. Bush were in favor of a certain law ...

As for Jesse, I understand he broke the story himself and took full responsibility for his actions. Makes him a better man than Dubya who kept his mouth shut until the media broke the story. Hmmmmm. Yeah, shame on Jesse! It's not like Jesse could've killed someone by having sex with another woman or anything. Yeeesh.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 18, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also wonder what Mr. Ashcroft would do if neither he nor Mr. Bush were in favor of a certain law ...

Enforce it. Obviously. Again, you're so used to Janet Reno, who just ignores the laws that he and her boss don't like.

His track record in the senate and in Missouri seems to hint that "no" he won't enforce laws he doesn't agree with.

You base this on... what? What indication have you seen that he doesn't enforce laws he doesn't like?

As for Jesse, I understand he broke the story himself and took full responsibility for his actions.

After two years, and only after the story was about to be broken. He only took responsibility because he was about to be caught.

Makes him a better man than Dubya who kept his mouth shut until the media broke the story.

What story are you talking about?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read an article about the problems with the juice in CA, the guy said that they, the 13 utlities in the SF Bay Area weren't doing their "damn job."

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably Drunken Dubya's DUI chargamahoojie.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Mr. Bush's drunken driving charge, which he didn't admit to until after the media broke the story. Pretty much the same situation, except in Bush's case, he could've killed someone ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush:

Drove while intoxicated. Was pulled over for driving too slowly. Paid all fines immediately upon being asked. Incident expunged from record. Completely irrelevant to his public service, as he has freely admited to "youthful indescretions." He was simply never asked and given the opportunity to answer. Has changed his ways, and hasn't touched alcohol in nearly all of my lifetime.

Jackson:

Fathered a child in an extramarital affair. Was engaged in said affair while giving council to another man engaged in a similar affair. This would constitute hypocricy. He then proceeded to actively keep an event that reflects on his present character secret, while continuing to profess beliefs contrary to his private actions.

I fail to see anything but superficial similarities.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, considering the story is going to break in the National Enquirer ... I mean, shit, if I saw "Jesse Jackson has Illegitimate Child" on the front page of the NE, I wouldn't believe it even if it showed up on the front page of The Washington Post

Sorry, Omega. The two are very much alike. You wanna know what I see? When it's a Republican politician, taking "responsibility" for something is a good thing. But when its anyone else, uh-oh, it's very bad and they're a bad person. This is proof positive that the Republican Party (or at the very least, you) is a hypocrite.

Otherwise, you would've said, "yes, Jesse J made a mistake, but he took responsibility for it, so that's all I'm going to say about it."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega:

Luckily does not live the white house, or the Security Service would be authorized to use lethal force to remove him from crowd of Bush admirers, as public nudity, and chants of "Bush is God! I want your baby!" are generally frowned upon.

Really, though, the way you speak so highly of Drunken Dubya, you'd think he was the man who "showed you the meaning of being a man" or somesuch. He's just a measely politician, for Christs Sake. Like any other.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, he is a Republican politician.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typical grub mentality.

The DUI was 20-odd years ago. Even _I_ can forgive that, and you KNOW my feelings about drunk drivers. There's no evidence to suggest that it's happened SINCE.

This kid was born LAST YEAR. And the guy's a REVEREND, for Chrissake! He's supposed to be a goddamn MORAL LEADER for his community, a community which ALREADY has a severe problem with out-of-wedlock births, by his own group's admission!

You can't get any more hypocritical than THAT, without singing "I believe in Peace" while hacking somebody to death with a machete.

And don't forget that he's been paying this woman $10,000 a MONTH, and provided her with a nice house... just where's those funds come from? The 'non-profit' Rainbow Coalition, for whom he's an "unpaid" spokesman?

*Hear's Perot's "Giant xxxxing sound" but it's coming out of their coffers."

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 19, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So if he'd had the child twenty years ago, it'd be okay in your book?

I know you don't believe in God, but isn't He the only person whose forgiveness counts to a Reverend (or for that matter, the Religious Right?) Anyway, that's why I'm finding Omega to be kinda hypocritical right here (unless Mr. Omega can give me proof that The Almighty has not forgiven Mr. Jackson?).

George W. Bush broke the law. Jackson didn't. Talk about a fuckin' double standard. When a white guy does it, it's perfectly okay. When it's a black guy up ... uh, oh, where's the noose? People wonder why Republicans only got 9% of the black vote ... (and considering the only answer given to that is that blacks are misled - read: ignorant - you've got more proof positive right in the answer) ...

Regardless, it's Kwaisi Mfume and the NAACP you need to worry 'bout.

Now, why don't I trust Mr. Ashcroft?

"It's said that we shouldn't legislate morality. Well, I disagree. I think all we should legislate is morality. We shouldn't legislate immorality." -- Ashcroft to Charisma Magazine, Dec. 99

So, whose definition of morality will Mr. Ashcroft legislate? His own, of course. No thanks.

More concerning, Ashcroft was a strong supporter of the Communications Decency Act. An unconstitutional law struck down as such by the Supreme Court.

Perhaps the librarians among us are aware of the "filtering" law recently passed required libraries and others to censure their computers? A law Ashcroft supported? And a law the ALA and the ACLU are challening in court?

"Without the cooperation of television networks, however, Congress has no choice but to give the FCC the authority to impose itself on the entertainment industry," Ashcroft said in a senate speech.

This guy seems to want to overturn the First Ammendment.

Reason enough not to confirm him, IMHO.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 19, 2001).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also filed a lawsuit against a BOYCOTT by the National Organization for Women. Also a violation of the First Amendment.

Here's a list of his track record.
http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/stories/01/15/ashcroft.record/index.html

------------------
"And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye."
-Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Omega
Member # 91

A) What difference does his opinion on the laws make? His job is to ENFORCE law, not make new ones.

B) Janet Reno DID impose her own wishes and beliefs, over the law, and you never seemed to complain. Why the difference?

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Member # 239

What difference does his opinion on the laws make?

Well, quite obviously, he'll favor the ones he agrees with.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Omega
Member # 91

Irrelevant. He will ENFORCE them all, regardless of favor. Is the concept of someone who enforces law, regardless of personal belief, THAT foreign to you?

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps