Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Drug War -- is it working? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Drug War -- is it working?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Duh. I feel stupid. Blame it on lack of sleep.

But First still has a point. How effective could enforced rehab possibly be? How are you going to keep them from getting drugs, if they don't want to clean up in the first place? 24 hour guard? House arrest?

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the laws that have passed offer the person a choice between incarciration or rehab. If the person fails a drug test at rehab -- off to prison!

How effective is enforced incarciration? Not very. In some cases, sure, people are scared straight. Again (I don't have any numbers here), but I remember a Sociology class learning that a high percentage of incarcirees would return to jail after being released. So, IMHO, incarciration isn't that effective.

Now, I assume the questions you ask are aimed at a person AFTER going through rehab? You've got to assume that some people will relapse ... not all, mind you -- and I don't know if anyone has any numbers? -- but doing this rehab thing is going to have to take into account the fact that certain people might go through it once or twice before it takes any effect.

No, no twenty-four hour house guards or the like. Simple, effective, drug tests. They'd have to be under some sort of probation after rehab (say two years?), and if they fail a drug test, its back to rehab (or prison), again, giving them a choice.

Now, if they go through rehab a second time and still screw up, perhaps a combination of jail time and THEN rehab would be called for.

I just think we gotta try something new here.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 16, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Simple, effective, drug tests."

With Simple, effective ways to mask traces of contaminants.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Invictus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the war against drugs is not working. IMO, the majority of currently illegal drugs should be legalized within the US.

In fact, they should be legalized, taxed, and distributed by the govt. If such a thing were to happen we could stop wasting millions and millions of dollars on a "war" that we'll never win. As long as someone wants drugs, they'll have them. Why bother trying to fight it?

If we legalized and taxed drugs, the revenue generated by the sale of drugs could be used for rehab. Anyone interested in breaking their habit could sign into a free drug rehab program. Most current govt drug rehab programs obviously don't work that well, since they don't, er, work. People go in, then go out, then get re-addicted. Private rehab places are too expensive for most people who are so addicted to drugs that they need rehab, anyway. Taxes from drugs would allow the govt to build good rehab centers.

In fact, a program like this is already being used in Holland. Marijuana is TOTALLY legal there- you can buy it along with a cup of morning coffee.

More "hard" drugs (cocaine, heroin etc) are illegal, but the police don't do drug busts and searches to try and arrest people for use. In general, you'll only be arrested for using ANY type of drugs if you cause a public disturbance (and most of these public disturbances generally involve alcohol :p )

Also, in Holland theres a lot of public awareness about drugs. There are stores where you can buy marijuana/psychadelic mushrooms, and be helped by someone who will tell you how to properly use the drug.

The argument that I hear the most frequently against the legalization of drugs is that "drug users drag more than just themselves down- they also drag down people around them (when they steal to support their habit). More legalized drugs would be more users, which would mean more people being dragged down. "

My reply to this argument is that the legalization of drugs would probably DECREASE the use of drugs. I would be willing to bet a lot of kids would never get started on drugs in the first place because it wouldn't make them look "cool." They would never get hooked, so they would never start, so they would never become addicts.

As for people being dragged down by their addict friends: Isn't this already happening? :p

The war against drugs isn't working, and I feel that its certainly time to give legalized drugs- marijuana at the least-a chance.

------------------
Well OBVIOUSLY the answer is 42. That's the answer to everything, you know!

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, dope isn't "totally" legal in Holland. I think you can ONLY smoke it with your morning coffee, i.e. in a coffee-shop - a name which has become synonymous with "place where you can smoke dope" in Amsterdam. The law there is actually quite complex regarding it, and I can't be bothered to research it.

I've been to Amsterdam. And I've smoked dope. Not at the same time - all the coffee shops were full of asshole Brits who'd gone there JUST to smoke dope.

But apart from that I like what he's saying. I can't imagine people sitting in a bar qute legally snorting coke, though. Or is that one that should stay criminalized?

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prison recidivism rate (those who end up back in jail): around 70-80%

Rehab relapse rate: I don't know. I'd bet money it's about the same.

Chances that any given currently used drug test will come back with an inaccurate result (false positive OR false negative): 60+%

Chances that an average person going through rehab will, or can, follow doctor's orders properly: Negligible. Nobody but the rich, permanently disabled, or very job-secure can afford to take a year off to rest. Except in jail.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiousity, where did you get these numbers?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lies, damned lies, and statistics. . .

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recidivism rate I came across while doing a research paper for a criminology class I took in my 2nd year of college. It's been a few years, but since I remember virtually every factoid I find of interest, it's stuck with me.

The drug test statistics came off a 60 Minutes report/expose a few months ago. I remembered that, too.

However, this I can back up:

The November 1992 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine, printed this surprising result. In a survey of 272 Michigan doctors 38 per cent said they didn't believe drug tests were accurate.

In the May 1987 edition of Laboratory Medicine, Dr. T.P. Moyer of the Mayo Clinic concluded in testing for marijuana on the EMIT test, 15% of the positives would be false.

This http://drugtesting.freeservers.com/table7.htm
shows another statistical table, although it only shows false positives, and the rates average between 33 and 42%

It might interest you to know that Ibuprofin (In Dristan, Sudafet, Midol, etc), and Nyquil can both cause false positives.

The 'negligible' one is obvious, given a basic knowledge of human nature.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 17, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 17, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So, you're basicly saying, "that way won't work, let's stick with what we're doing now" even though what we're doing now isn't working either?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Trying a second unsuccessful solution would be a waste of resources.

In effect, I'm saying "We KNOW it's got problems, but you haven't come up with a more workable solution. Rather than change gears and spend a great deal on ANOTHER unworkable solution, We suggest that you gather more data and try again later."

------------------

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Amphetamines to crack cocaine, hacker. Your IP marijuana been logged. Have a nice day.
Opium to: Select a ForumList of Forums:Category: System Forums--------------------Incoming Crack cocaineNetwork ProjectsCategory: Cocaine Trek--------------------General DiscussionVoyagerDeep Space NineStarships & Other TechnologyDesigns, Artwork, and CreativityCategory: Science Fiction--------------------General Sci-Fi DiscussionCocaine WarsCategory: Community Forums--------------------Officers' LoungeFlameboardForum Contests

Content, graphics, and design are © 1999-2000 by The Solareclipse Network
Terms and Conditions of Use & Privacy Statement