Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Drug War -- is it working? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Drug War -- is it working?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kids. They think government should be responsible for its citizens. Wow.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adults. They think citizens should be responsible for THEMSELVES. Wow, what a novel concept.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monkeys, they think termites are tasty. Freaks!

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pant makers. They think they can design containment units for Simon's Sizer. COMPLETE AND UTTER MORON BASTARDS!!!!

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who think Government should be responsible for its citizens = stupid

People who think Government should let its unresponsible citizens rot away = correct

At least, as far as First is concerned. Now, let me ask you something, if your kid develops a drug habit, whatcha gonna do? Let 'em live a life on the corner, or try and help them? The liberal ideal here is to try and help everyone in trouble. Apparently, that's "evil"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Government isn't your babysitter. It's not it's job to wipe your ass because you don't want to get shit on your hands. No, I recall something about "by the people, people in general, something about people" that even I remember. it runs things, but it doesn't take personal responsibility for your own poo.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

When its citizens are homeless in the streets, or killing themselves through drug use, the Government needs to get involved. For the people.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We must step in and save you from yourselves."
Isn't that the classic line of the Friendly Fascist?

Government is NOT the daddy.

If MY kid starts screwing up his life, of COURSE I'm going to try to help. He's MY kid. I'm responsible for bringing him into this world, and helping him to get through it and grow up and survive in it.

He is NOT the government's kid. It is not the government's job to run his life, or to do everything for him if he can't cut it on his own.

Dependency is BAD.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I think maybe you're missing the point.

If someone gets busted for drugs, the Government will be taking responsibility for them whether they toss 'em in jail or put them through a rehabilitation program. It just depends on whether or not we want these people going back and back and back into jail time and time again.

If they can be helped into becoming productive citizens, they become an asset to the community.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees the whole "for the people" bit. I dunno, it makes sense. Government is here, for the people.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

You have a point.

The best way for them to be productive citizens is to keep them off the drugs in the FIRST place.

And the best way to make them WANT to be productive citizens (at least, for most people nowadays) is to make them well aware of the negative consequences of not being so.

Negative consequences MUST exist for proper behavior to form.

Have you ever known someone who was always getting someone to bail them out of whatever trouble they got themselves into, from childhood on? Do you know what people who have that done for them end up like?

They become addicted. Not to drugs, but to assistance. (Well, sometimes to drugs as well, but that's beside the point.)

That's what allowing the government to run lives, to 'bail' them out of the negative consequences of drug use, to provide that kind of 'help,' will create -- has created, in many cases already.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, there should obviously be a point where the government stops assistance.

But people do fuck up, and make mistakes, and given the opportunity, would make great productive members of society, and establishing a network of rehabs, halfway houses, and employers (given tax-benefits to employ recovering addicts or what have you) to help people get back onto their feet is something that the government could do to help these people.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Perhaps.

How many chances should someone get?

I've always been a firm follower of the 'Everybody gets one free mistake. ONE.' philosophy. Because frankly, if you haven't learned after that, you most likely aren't going to.

Then again, like criminals, drug users generally commit several 'mistakes' before they're caught.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I think it would have to depend on the severity of the crime. There's a big difference between going on a shooting spree in a shopping mall and getting busted for posession of weed.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps