Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I didn't.

Well, yes I did.

But that is besides the point. Anyway, I've been learning -- ready for it? -- Evolution *gasp* in my Biology class. Both the textbooks, and the teacher are quite quick to point out that evolution is A THEORY, and as such, is subject to the conditions that THEORIES are.

Now, in a step by step method, I'll try and conduct my train of thought (I = KING OF THE PUN), regarding this THEORY.

1. I get up and have breakfast.

2. The THEORY of Evolution is just that, a THEORY.

According to dictionary.com (Hopefully, a non Left Conspiracy site), the definition of THEORY is:

the�o�ry
n., pl. the�o�ries.
1.a. Systematically organized knowledge applicable in a relatively wide variety of circumstances, especially a system of assumptions, accepted principles, and rules of procedure devised to analyze, predict, or otherwise explain the nature or behavior of a specified set of phenomena.
b.Such knowledge or such a system.
2.Abstract reasoning; speculation.
3.A belief that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: rose early, on the theory that morning
efforts are best; the modern architectural theory that less is more.
4.An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

3. In addition, I am of the understanding that one single discrepancy in said theory, causes it to be either A) Disproven or B)Reworked, depending on the severity of the discrepancy.

4. So, If apples stopped falling of trees, apart from the abundance of Doctor house calls, we could either negate or amend the original THEORY of Gravity.

5. Am I okay so far?

6. I go to the bathroom. (The View was just on. Barbara Walters = Hot!)

7. As an example, The THEORY of Evolution is one THEORY of how people and animals and everything came to be. Correct?

8. So is the Bible.

9. Why is the Bible not considered a THEORY?

10. If the Bible is contradicted, it is not dismissed, or reevaluated? I am cononononondrumized.

10. In so far that these two situations could feasibly occur:

SITUATION 1:
[INT. LAB. DAY]
CUT TO:
SCIENTIST: "Dinosaurs evolved into Birds"
HOT ANCHOR LADY FROM CNN: "Fossils found today indicate that Dinosaurs and birds coexisted."
SCIENTIST: "Hmm. I do believe I must rethink my position. Ngoyen hoymen yamen flaven."

SITUATION 2:
[INT. CHURCH. DAY.]
JUMP CUT TO
PREACHER(NOT THE COMIC BOOK CHARACTER): "And, because the Lord said it is so, the World is only 4000 years old."
HOT ANCHOR LADY FROM CNN: "Geological Formations found today indicate that the world is 650,000,000 years old."
PREACHER(NTCBC): "That is created by Scientists, and has no basis in God's world. They do not have faith. The Bible is correct."

11. I don't understand.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited January 16, 2001).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, UM, ever hear of the [/i] tag?

------------------
Two atoms walk into a bar. One atom says to the other atom:
"I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only a moron would like your hypothetical preacher, UM. It'd be far more credible to deny the validity of your dating methods.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a coincidence! I'm taking Anthropology 200: Origins of Humanity! In fact, we're going to talk about Evolution vs. Creationism this week. Yippee. The professor's focus is on primates, so we get to read Jane Goodall and go to the zoo and watch monkeys. It's quite fascinating how non-human primates behave like humans.

------------------
"And smale foweles maken melodye,
And slepen al the nyght with open eye."
-Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or vice versa for that matter...

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM: You don't understand? Well, there isn't much to understand. Religion is born of ignorance...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That statement is born out of ignorance.

------------------
"And smale foweles maken melodye,
And slepen al the nyght with open eye."
-Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't just about everything ignorant? Especially driving on the wrong side of the road. Sheeesh ...

(that was a joke there, by the way ...)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um Religion's as much a theory as the theory of evolution, if not more so as there's no real fact or proof behind it. Science has the attempt to be as real and unbiased as possible. Religion is far from unbiased.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fun not to know what a scientific term means. Wee! Invisible elephants live inside my piano!

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Theory of Evolution is no longer a theory. It is accepted fact, and irrefutable evidence exists to prove this. All one has to do is educate oneself and see this for themselves. Now what is in question is how evolution occurs, with the only theory (now practically accepted as fact) being natural selection, ie. survival of the fittest. The only problem with natural selection is that while it explains many cases where evolution is observed, it can't explain them all. Random mutations have been cited as explanations of this but as far as I know this is in dispute.

A property of theories is that they are scientific, and thus can be disproven by observing something which is contradictory to the theory. A theory is used while it models the observable(s) accurately and is, as UM said, discarded or modified when the observable(s) differ(s) from the theory.

Religion is not scientific, as it cannot be proven that gods etc. do not exist (The fact that it can't be proven that they can exist, and that the whole idea is rather ridiculous are beside the point). As religion is not scientific, it cannot be a theory, and is relegated to the status of "playground for the ignorant", where "ignorant" is taken to mean "uninformed", and is not meant to be derogatory.

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 17, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Theory of Evolution is no longer a theory. It is accepted fact, and irrefutable evidence exists to prove this.

You are aware that the same could have been said for the flatness of the world a millenium ago?

And you're basically saying, "OK, we KNOW for a fact that evolution occured. We just don't know how." Does this seem a LITTLE odd to anyone?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religions aren't theories. They're hypotheses.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A hypothesis requires some, although minimal, thought on the subject, because it is colloquially referred to as "an educated guess." A hypothesis also requires openness to the possibility that it may be proven incorrect.

Religion generally has neither of these things, though the more modern forms pretend to have both.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The theory of evolution that man has evolved from monkeys, or other such evolutions has not been proven, as there is no possible way to prove it (without time machines and stuff)

While evolution is a scientific possiblity, there have been no scientific proofs, because evolution cannot be truly shown (within our lifespan, or even centuries.) As far back as our histories go, we have been human, or homo sapien sapiens. Since we don't have any record before that, all that is before is speculation.

Without 100% proof, everything is still a theory.

------------------
I looked at my son, and said, "My god, he's hung like a bear."
"That's the umbillical cord, Mr. Williams."

-Robin Williams, "A Night at the Met" 1986

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps