Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner.
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm actually kicking myself now for having spent so much time typing that stuff. It was obviously time wasted. Next time I'll just let Omega wallow in his ignorance. 8|

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 20, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: You're suggesting that there's a clear division of species? Perhaps you should stop assuming such a strict definition of "species". It either can reproduce, or it can't, and that means jack shit. There is a middle ground. Thus, no clear division, thus evolution works.

Oh, and, once and for all, you're a fucking moron.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The next question, to TSN, is: What evidence do you have for this belief??

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're a fucking moron

Come on, calling Omega names isn't going to get him to change his argument, and it certainly doesn't make your arguments all the more convincing. Well ... nothing is going to get him to change his argument, honestly, (short of The Almighty telling him that He created the world through evolution) but I, for one, had it beaten into me that this isn't the place to flame people, only ideas ...

You know, it might be a good idea to change the name of this forum to "Debate-Board" not "Flameboard" because people get the wrong ideas

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 21, 2001).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all due respect, JeffK, I've seen some of your debates with Omega and, while I understand how annoying he can be, you sometimes lost the rag too.

------------------
Fist of the North Star

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed I did, and every time I did, I got the whole "ideas not people" lecture too Which is why I said that,

I, for one, had it beaten into me that this isn't the place to flame people, only ideas ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 21, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: Well, I've tried logic on him, and it doesn't work, so I just felt like point out, at that moment, that he's a fucking moron. I realize we all knew it already, but something urged me to explicitly state it at that point, so I did.

Besides, I preceded it w/ my rational arguement. It was just an addendum...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, it's not like I'm saying he's not, it's just that ... oh, nevermind. I'm going to bed now.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

I wouldn't mind except for the fact that Omega didn't seem to read the big spiel I posted earlier, then posted subsequently arguing about something which I appeared to have clarified, namely the interbreeding of species.

Here is the part most relevant to the interbreeding issue from what I posted.

Any factor that impedes two different species from producing fertile hybrids contributes
to reproductive isolation.
(i) Prevent mating or fertilization.
-Populations do not meet
-Mating occurs at different times of the year
in each species
-No attraction between sexes
-Reproductive organs structurally incompatible

(ii) Prevent development of fertile adults
-Hybrid zygote fails to develop
-Hybrids fail to produce functional gametes
-Offspring of hybrids may have reduced
fertility

THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES
Two principle modes of speciation:
Allopatric speciation: May occur in geographically isolated populations, when a
splinter population diverges in evolution from its parent population.

Sympatric speciation: (Plants). Occurs principally by a radical change in the genome
which results in a sub-population becoming reproductively isolated in the midst of its
parent population

The key event in speciation is genetic isolation

------------------
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 22, 2001).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

Omega: What, no reply? No retort? Have we finally convinced you?

------------------
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 23, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I just tend to ignore flaming sessions. Especially when I'm the one getting flamed.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes, so why don't you flame TSN, and then reply to Gurgeh?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, out of curiosity, I just checked a number of dictionaries and encyclopedias.

Nowhere in any definition of 'species' written within the last 20 years is there the statement that animals of different species (but the same genus) CANNOT interbreed, only that they "generally" do not. Which they don't. We help them, sometimes, with in-viro fertilization and other artificial measures, but generally, they don't do it on their own.

Omega, you need newer reference books, or something.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine that the one book he is using, which is 4000 years old, is a little out-of-date.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely 2000 years old?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps