Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda like God then. No proof.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no such thing as 'proof.' There is only which theory is supported by the largest amount of clear evidence, based upon inductive and deductive reasoning.

For instance, if two organisms contain genetic material that is 95% similar in structure, and given the FACTS of natural selection and mutation, it is reasonable to deduce that these two organisms were closely related in the fairly recent past. To say that the opposite might occur, to suppose that the creatues are genetically close because their environmental niche is close, is to ignore basic biological facts, including that of unrelated speciments which occupy the same niche in different places, examples of which are frequent in nature.

There is also no theory that man 'descended' from monkeys. Much more accurate would be to say that there once was an animal that was not quite a monkey OR a man, and that two branches of it diverged, and one became 'monkey' and one became 'man.'

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is not science vs. relgion, it's using science to explain religion, to explain everything. That in itself is the religion of Scientism.

"Ignorance"
Ignorance is being uninformed. Uninformed of what? Technically everyone is ignorant, only in different fields of expertise. The homeless on the street may know more about life or the psychology of generosity than we do.

------------------
"And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye."
-Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the problem that I had, is that if Science gets contradicted it's wrong, while when the Bible is contradicted, it's due to "Mistranslation" or "the hand of God works in mysterious ways, my son" or "the Bible is not wrong. Your evidence is incorrect."

Why the irrational treatment of the Bible?

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, wait for Omega, cuz I ain't defending the Bible.

In the mean time, here's a cool article on Fundamentalism.

http://www.neopagan.net/ReligiousReich.HTML

------------------
"And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye."
-Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not very religious, I try to balance the bible. I don't believe that it's 100% accurate, but I do believe that some of the events did happen and some of the people did exist, just not the way it's stated in the bible.

As far as evolution and man coming from monkeys...no. Man once existing in a primate-like species and evolved into what we are today, yes.

IMO religion was born out of our natural need to understand the universe. Only people couldn't, so in order to do so they created gods and said their god created the universe. An easy answer to a difficult question.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited January 17, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard Christians say the same thing about ancient mythology. "Oh, Ppilimtec, Amon-Ra, Shica are all borne of the reason that ancient man wanted to know more about their world, so just made easy answers to hard questions."

"What? No, no. The Bible is real. All those other Gods are fake, just made up only our God is real."

Which deserves a 'Sweet Black Jesus!'.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which deserves a 'Sweet Black Jesus!'.

He is, and God is Alanis Morsett (sp)... at least according to "Dogma". Which I found funny that it has that disclaimer in the beginning.
quote:
I've heard Christians say the same thing about ancient mythology
Yeah, Christians are funny that way. With my luck I'm wrong and will burn in hell.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Yes, I am saying we know for a fact that evolution occurred, but we also have a good idea of how it occurred. The difference between the concept of evolution and the concept of a flat world is that although the flatness of the world was assumed, it wasn't proven. Evolution is proven. You're a librarian, am I correct? If the library has books on biology, or more specifically, evolution, I'm sure you'd find them easy enough to understand, and very interesting.

Saiyanman Benjita: Evolution is known to be as much a fact as gravity is. Although our description of these may not be complete, we know they exist. Before Newton quantified gravitational force we knew that if you held a stone and left it go it fell to the ground. Just because someone can't live long enough to see the effects of evolution, it doesn't mean that it can't be proven. When I did Biology in first year we were presented with 7 or 8 observed facts which prove that evolution exists. 100% proof, if you like. I can't remember them all, but one of the easiest to see is the study of a growing human foetus. In it's development the foetus is seen to go through stages which resemble an evolutionary path. For instance, a growing embryo has gills, which become some gland (thyroid, I think) later in development. "Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" is a phrase which is bandied about quite a lot, but isn't entirely accurate. It is more correct to say that ontogeny(study of embryos) reveals some aspects of phylogeny(study of evolutionary development).

More proof comes from the study of the Galapagos islands, where the development of birds which came from mainland south america can be seen as they progressed from island to island.

More proof comes from extensive fossil records.

Several case studies have observed evolution due to natural selection eg. a particular breed of bird(can't remember the name) which only eats one specific type of seed. When the weather is wet(over the course of a year), the seeds are large and fleshy, and the birds with smaller bills are at an advantage as they can eat faster, become better nourished, are chosen by the opposite sex, mate, and rear offspring. When the bill sizes are measured by biologists, the next generation of offspring have a marked decrease in bill size. If the weather is dry, the seeds are hard, and those birds with larger bills can crack open the seeds better, so the next generation of birds has a measured increase in bill size. The results show an accurate correlation between the weather and the bill sizes. There are many observed cases like this. Although the results aren't as dramatic as evolving a new organ or something, they are significant, and it is easy to see that environmental changes have an active role to play in the genome of the species.

There is an abundance of proof of this type. It might be worth trying to check some of this out for yourselves before trying to argue about it.

Tora Ziyal:

quote:
Ignorance is being uninformed. Uninformed of what? Technically everyone is ignorant, only in different fields of expertise. The homeless on the street may know more about life or the psychology of generosity than we do.
Well, uninformed about evolution, for one. Knowing about the psychology of generosity is all very well, but it doesn't help when trying to argue about the existance, or otherwise, of supernatural deities and the origin of life. But I'm sorry if my choice of words offended some of you.

Hobbes: Your explanation of the origin of religion is exactly correct. The events in the Bible are just exaggerated versions of events that may or may not have happened.

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 18, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of interest, UM, where's your sig from? I like Ellison, and want to read more. . .

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gurgeh: *adopts extremely poorly done accent* Omega? 'e's not a librarian, 'e's an aide! Oi'm a librarian!
*drops extremely poorly done accent*

You have to have a B.S or M.S. in Library Science to be actually qualified as a librarian. Everybody else is a clerk or a parapro.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you CAN get a part-time job as a "circulation assistant", if you have a HS dimploma/GED, here, but I don't suppose that counts.

And I'm not actually even an aide, yet. They haven't filled their last two positions.

Gurgeh:

Your example of birds is flawed. The English Pepper Moth (I believe that was the name) comes to mind. When the trees were white, the white moths survived more easily, due to coloration and being able to blend. The trees turned black with soot, and then the black moths became prevelant. The trees were cleaned up, and the white moths again became dominant. This is NOT evolution. This is natural selection. There's a BIG difference. The species is not evolving into another species.

Now show me a time when one of a creature's decendents becomes incapable of reproducing with another of the original creature's decendents, THEN you'll have proof of evolution. Maybe.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Give the moths a little bit more than 20 years to adapt.

Actually, the long-term example of Gurgeh's bird statement can be clearly seen in the finches of the Galapagos, who clearly have a common ancestor, who have adapted to fill different niches, and who do not now interbreed.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you prove that they had a common ancestor? Can you prove that they can't interbreed? Or are these just assumptions on your part?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was recently an experiment which seems to have proven (not irrefutably, but pretty well) that Neanderthals are a side-branch of the human evolutionary tree. A large number of people in Europe had their mitochondrial DNA compared to that of a fossilized Neanderthal. None matched. (As I understand it, mitochondrial DNA is duplicated exactly from mother to child. So, your mitochondrial DNA is identical to your mother's, and her mother's, and her mother's, &c., back as far as you care to count (barring mutations, I expect).)

Anyway, my point is... Couldn't something similar be done w/ the fossils we have of past members of the Homo and Australopithecus genera? Presumably, matches would be found, which would show that today's humans are, in fact, related to those other species.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps